P4S8X ?6? chanel sound?

JB

OK so the old Altec's finally bit the big one. I mean they only lasted for
10 years.. So thinking [My first mistake always]. .. I went out and got a
nice inexpencive set of 5.1 speakers. LogicTec 640's. After plugging in and
configuring as per instructions in both the Logictec and Asus books..

I have no rear speaker sound.

Have tried setting the system to six speakers, fout speakers. No luck.
Reverced the plugs on the 640 system and the rear speakers work when plugged
into the front outputs.. So I'll say the speakers are all right.
Is there a known problem with the P4S8X and the six speaker sound system.

Going to the Asus site after this post to look and probe..
Running ;;

512MB
ATI 9600XT
ATI TV PRo tuner card.. Loosing this is an option.
Zoom modem.. not using this and could be pulled if that's the conflict.

Any hints or laughs..
JB..

JB

Ok still new to this 5.1 stuff... I can get the rear speakers to work when
the ATI TV is on and on some games. wav files and CD's just come out of the
front speakers.. I can live with that..
Anyone know if that/this is the 'normal' for 5.1 setup??

jb..