HELP P4C800-E de luxe with 4 harddisk and NO RAID configur..

Dear reader,

First of all sorry that my english is not perfect, but I hope that you
understand my question.

I want to work with 4 IDE harddisks on my PC in a NON RAID configuration, so
I want to work and save data on the disk I want without making striping,
mirroring etc etc.

Here are some data:

Operating system Windows XP PRO SP 1

Drive A: diskette station

Drive C: IDE Harddisk with Windows XP

Drive D: DVD drive
Drive E: CD burner
Drive F: DVD burner

Drive G: IDE Harddisk Movies NO RAID
Drive H: IDE Harddisk Music NO RAID
Drive I: IDE Harddisk Office data NO RAID

I have a lot of questions,. because Asus in Taiwan and the Netherlands do
not give answers!!!!!

Q 01) Does the mainboard store the data of drivers you install? So when I
installed the wrong drive do I have to reset the mainboard?

Q 02) What are the settings of the bios (P-ATA S-ATA P-&S-ATA PRIMARY
SECANDARY etc for working NON RAID)

Q 03) Which drivers I need, on Asus cd are the following drivers:

Promise 378ATA/378RAID/Promise Aray Management/Netware/VIARAID or ????

Q 04) When do I have to install the driver(s) and where do I have to install
the driver(s) e.g by F6 during installation of Windows XP or??

Q 05) Do I have to connect the IDE Harddisks (Note on the disks are already
data)

Q 06) Perhaps I forgot something so this is a open question to be answered

It is possible that these questions are asked in the past, but this is the
first time I use the group.

Thank you very much for helping me.

Greetings from a warm Holland.

André

Well, since no one has answered yet, I will make an attempt. See below for
comments.

"André Keus" <spellbindinder@wanadoo.nl> wrote in message
> Dear reader,
>
> First of all sorry that my english is not perfect, but I hope that you
> understand my question.
>
> I want to work with 4 IDE harddisks on my PC in a NON RAID configuration,
> so
> I want to work and save data on the disk I want without making striping,
> mirroring etc etc.
>
> Here are some data:
>
> Operating system Windows XP PRO SP 1
>
> Drive A: diskette station
>
> Drive C: IDE Harddisk with Windows XP
>
> Drive D: DVD drive
> Drive E: CD burner
> Drive F: DVD burner
>
> Drive G: IDE Harddisk Movies NO RAID
> Drive H: IDE Harddisk Music NO RAID
> Drive I: IDE Harddisk Office data NO RAID
>
> I have a lot of questions,. because Asus in Taiwan and the Netherlands do
> not give answers!!!!!
>
> Q 01) Does the mainboard store the data of drivers you install? So when I
> installed the wrong drive do I have to reset the mainboard?

The motherboard does not know anything about the data stored on the hard
drives. I hope that was the question.

> Q 02) What are the settings of the bios (P-ATA S-ATA P-&S-ATA PRIMARY
> SECANDARY etc for working NON RAID)

Leave them at default.

> Q 03) Which drivers I need, on Asus cd are the following drivers:
>
> Promise 378ATA/378RAID/Promise Aray Management/Netware/VIARAID or ????

You need to install the intel chipset inf driver, the on-board audio driver,
and the on-board network driver.

> Q 04) When do I have to install the driver(s) and where do I have to
> install
> the driver(s) e.g by F6 during installation of Windows XP or??

Since you are not using RAID, you can install XP as usual and install/update
all the drivers after the XP install is complete.

> Q 05) Do I have to connect the IDE Harddisks (Note on the disks are
> already
> data)

It is not clear what you mean!
If you have XP already installed on one of the hard drives, from another
motherboard, and you are asking if you can use the same installation, the
answer is that you are better off if you install again. You can try a
repair install. But, yopui might as well install from scratch.

If you are asking when you should connect the hard drives to the
motherboard, you are better off connecting them all the way you want before
you start the installation (before XP activation).
XP monitors changes in hardware and if there are too many changes, it
requires you to activate again. The master hard drive, the master CD drive,
and the master hard drive volume ID are some of the items that are
monitored.

If the question is just what the sentence implies, the answer is yes, you
have to connect them! How else can the motherboard access them if they are
not connected?

> Q 06) Perhaps I forgot something so this is a open question to be answered
>
> It is possible that these questions are asked in the past, but this is the
> first time I use the group.
>
> Thank you very much for helping me.
>
> Greetings from a warm Holland.
>
> André