USB Mice Not Detected at XP Boot

On an Asus P4B533, XP SP1 machine, I had a
Logitech Trackball plugged into the PS/2
port, then I bought a Logitech MX500
optical mouse for use in games and plugged it
into one of the USB ports. Most of the time
the mouse doesn't move the cursor after Windows
XP has just booted. If I unplug the USB mouse
and plug it in again, it will work fine after
that. The trackball has the same problem when
I try it into a USB port. Is it possible this is
a bug in the Asus BIOS that would be corrected
with a BIOS update? Thanks for any help you
can give me.
6 answers Last reply
More about mice detected boot

    In article <10gkgj1p6tu398c@corp.supernews.com>, David Owens
    <david_owens@alumni.clemson.edu> wrote:

    > On an Asus P4B533, XP SP1 machine, I had a
    > Logitech Trackball plugged into the PS/2
    > port, then I bought a Logitech MX500
    > optical mouse for use in games and plugged it
    > into one of the USB ports. Most of the time
    > the mouse doesn't move the cursor after Windows
    > XP has just booted. If I unplug the USB mouse
    > and plug it in again, it will work fine after
    > that. The trackball has the same problem when
    > I try it into a USB port. Is it possible this is
    > a bug in the Asus BIOS that would be corrected
    > with a BIOS update? Thanks for any help you
    > can give me.

    You could try experimenting with "USB Legacy Support"
    in the BIOS. I'm not really sure whether your problem
    is related to OS support for your mouse, or this is
    a problem with device detection on the USB bus. Some
    USB problems, of the disconnect/reconnect type, appear
    to be power management related, but some people never
    manage to fix them. If the mouse works all the time
    after being plugged in, then it probably isn't
    power management related.

    http://www.rojakpot.com/showFreeBOG.aspx?Lang=0&bogno=227

    Maybe if you have installed a driver for the Logitech Trackball,
    that driver is interfering with the ability to have multiple
    pointing devices connected ? What happens if the Trackball
    driver is removed - can WinXP still get basic functionality
    from the Trackball ?

    Paul

    you could try uninstalling the usb ports and do a reboot
    could be a problem with the driver, since you said the mouse works on
    reconnect
    and of course make sure the usb port is turned on in the bios
    "David Owens" <david_owens@alumni.clemson.edu> wrote in message
    > On an Asus P4B533, XP SP1 machine, I had a
    > Logitech Trackball plugged into the PS/2
    > port, then I bought a Logitech MX500
    > optical mouse for use in games and plugged it
    > into one of the USB ports. Most of the time
    > the mouse doesn't move the cursor after Windows
    > XP has just booted. If I unplug the USB mouse
    > and plug it in again, it will work fine after
    > that. The trackball has the same problem when
    > I try it into a USB port. Is it possible this is
    > a bug in the Asus BIOS that would be corrected
    > with a BIOS update? Thanks for any help you
    > can give me.

    I have also encountered this problem, on another Asus mobo with a Targus USB
    mouse. It is inconsistent; sometimes it will work on boot up, other times
    it needs the unplug/replug.
    I have not solved it!

    I wonder......
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810090&Product=winxp

    In article <410b4724$0$6447$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "Paul H"
    <mglj96@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:

    > I wonder......
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810090&Product=winxp

    Hehe :-)

    That description covers just about every malady that USB can have.
    How can their fix miss ? And, after all their tries to fix it in
    the past...

    And seeing as there is no download link for it, I guess we'll
    just have to play the lotto, and see if the "Microsoft Support
    Professional determines that a specific update will resolve
    your problem". Sounds like a great racket to be running.

    Reminds me of a few other software products I've bought,
    where each new release says on the box "enhanced stability".
    Well, what did I buy in the last release ?

    If you do try this patch, and it does _anything_ for you,
    please post back in a separate thread.

    Paul

    > In article <410b4724$0$6447$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, "Paul H"
    > <mglj96@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
    >
    > > I wonder......

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810090&Product=winxp

    > Hehe :-)
    >
    > That description covers just about every malady that USB can have.
    > How can their fix miss ? And, after all their tries to fix it in
    > the past...
    >
    > And seeing as there is no download link for it, I guess we'll
    > just have to play the lotto, and see if the "Microsoft Support
    > Professional determines that a specific update will resolve
    > your problem". Sounds like a great racket to be running.
    >
    > Reminds me of a few other software products I've bought,
    > where each new release says on the box "enhanced stability".
    > Well, what did I buy in the last release ?
    >
    > If you do try this patch, and it does _anything_ for you,
    > please post back in a separate thread.
    The fix has been available for some time.
    If you do a 'scan for updates', on the normal MS update site, it is listed
    under the XP updates (not as a critical update though), under the title:
    Recommended Update for Windows XP SP1 (KB822603)

    They have not bothered to update the earlier site, from when this was a
    'beta', and seem determined to not 'advertise' just how necessary this is
    on some systems...

    Best Wishes

Asus Mice USB Windows XP Motherboards