Newbie: Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe BIOS question

Hi,
I think I have Award 6.0 BIOS with my A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo. Can you
"disable" the built-in LAN on this mobo via the BIOS ? Can you configure
the NIC card at all on this BIOS ? Thanks so much in advance.
Steve

More about newbie asus a7n8x deluxe bios question

    "steve h." <ugandasteve@ugandayahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I think I have Award 6.0 BIOS with my A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo. Can you
    > "disable" the built-in LAN on this mobo via the BIOS ? Can you configure
    > the NIC card at all on this BIOS ? Thanks so much in advance.
    > Steve
    >
    > --

    Configure the Nic?

    Yes you can turn them off.

    What types of "Configuration" do you need?

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:44:59 GMT, rstlne <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:

    > "steve h." <ugandasteve@ugandayahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I think I have Award 6.0 BIOS with my A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo. Can
    >> you
    >> "disable" the built-in LAN on this mobo via the BIOS ? Can you configure
    >> the NIC card at all on this BIOS ? Thanks so much in advance.
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> --
    >
    > Configure the Nic?
    >
    > Yes you can turn them off.
    >
    > What types of "Configuration" do you need?

    I am having trouble getting Mandrake 9.2 OS to work with my mobo. The NIC
    card is being recognized but I cannot configure it correctly for either a
    direct connection to my cable modem or a connection to my D-Link router.
    Any suggestions about the BIOS or otherwise ? Thanks again.

    steve h. wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:44:59 GMT, rstlne <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
    >

    >> "steve h." <ugandasteve@ugandayahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hi,
    >>> I think I have Award 6.0 BIOS with my A7N8X-E Deluxe mobo.
    >>> Can you
    >>> "disable" the built-in LAN on this mobo via the BIOS ? Can you configure
    >>> the NIC card at all on this BIOS ? Thanks so much in advance.
    >>> Steve
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>

    >> Configure the Nic?
    >>
    >> Yes you can turn them off.
    >>
    >> What types of "Configuration" do you need?
    >>

    > I am having trouble getting Mandrake 9.2 OS to work with my mobo. The
    > NIC card is being recognized but I cannot configure it correctly for
    > either a direct connection to my cable modem or a connection to my
    > D-Link router. Any suggestions about the BIOS or otherwise ? Thanks again.

    Is this possibly related to the VPD info missing in the 1GHz nic
    equipped Asus boards? There is a patch available that allows the Linux
    OS to recognize this NIC and work with it.
    The patch is something "sk98lin".

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:19:30 GMT, stanmc <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net>
    wrote:

    > steve h. wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 15:44:59 GMT, rstlne <.@text.news.virgin.net> wrote:
    >>

    >>> "steve h." <ugandasteve@ugandayahoo.com> wrote in message

    >>> Configure the Nic?
    >>>
    >>> Yes you can turn them off.
    >>>
    >>> What types of "Configuration" do you need?
    >>>

    >> I am having trouble getting Mandrake 9.2 OS to work with my mobo. The
    >> NIC card is being recognized but I cannot configure it correctly for
    >> either a direct connection to my cable modem or a connection to my
    >> D-Link router. Any suggestions about the BIOS or otherwise ? Thanks
    >> again.
    >>
    > Is this possibly related to the VPD info missing in the 1GHz nic
    > equipped Asus boards? There is a patch available that allows the Linux
    > OS to recognize this NIC and work with it.
    > The patch is something "sk98lin".

    I think you are right, the url for the download is below:

    http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html

    steve h. wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:19:30 GMT, stanmc <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net>
    > wrote:
    ---snip---
    >>> I am having trouble getting Mandrake 9.2 OS to work with my mobo.
    >>> The NIC card is being recognized but I cannot configure it
    >>> correctly for either a direct connection to my cable modem or a
    >>> connection to my D-Link router. Any suggestions about the BIOS or
    >>> otherwise ? Thanks again.
    >>>
    >> Is this possibly related to the VPD info missing in the 1GHz nic
    >> equipped Asus boards? There is a patch available that allows the
    >> Linux OS to recognize this NIC and work with it.
    >> The patch is something "sk98lin".
    >

    > I think you are right, the url for the download is below:
    >
    > http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html

    Please let us know if that is the solution to the problem and any info
    on how it worked or what you had to do to make it work.

    "stanmc" <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net> wrote in message
    > steve h. wrote:
    > > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:19:30 GMT, stanmc <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net>
    > > wrote:
    > ---snip---
    > >>>
    > >> Is this possibly related to the VPD info missing in the 1GHz nic
    > >> equipped Asus boards? There is a patch available that allows the
    > >> Linux OS to recognize this NIC and work with it.
    > >> The patch is something "sk98lin".
    > >

    > > I think you are right, the url for the download is below:
    > >
    > > http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html
    > >
    > Please let us know if that is the solution to the problem and any info
    > on how it worked or what you had to do to make it work.

    Ok, will do. I'm struggling with a CD burner project right now.

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 15:09:13 GMT, stanmc <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net>
    wrote:

    > steve h. wrote:
    >> On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:19:30 GMT, stanmc <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net>
    >> wrote:
    > ---snip---
    >>>>
    >>> Is this possibly related to the VPD info missing in the 1GHz nic
    >>> equipped Asus boards? There is a patch available that allows the
    >>> Linux OS to recognize this NIC and work with it.
    >>> The patch is something "sk98lin".
    >> I think you are right, the url for the download is below:
    >> http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html
    >>
    > Please let us know if that is the solution to the problem and any info
    > on how it worked or what you had to do to make it work.

    Ok, another dumb newbie question: how do I insert the patch into the
    kernel during installation ? I need a step by step explanation, being a
    newbie. Thank you so much for your time.
    Steve

    stanmc <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net> wrote in message news:<tCOOc.2573$uC7.869@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>...
    > steve h. wrote:
    > > On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 16:19:30 GMT, stanmc <stanmcn0spam@ameritech.net>
    > > wrote:
    > ---snip---
    > >>>
    > >> Is this possibly related to the VPD info missing in the 1GHz nic
    > >> equipped Asus boards? There is a patch available that allows the
    > >> Linux OS to recognize this NIC and work with it.
    > >> The patch is something "sk98lin".
    > >

    > > I think you are right, the url for the download is below:
    > >
    > > http://www.syskonnect.com/syskonnect/support/driver/d0102_driver.html
    > >
    > Please let us know if that is the solution to the problem and any info
    > on how it worked or what you had to do to make it work.

    very late update: after I jiggered the configuration program for a
    while in MDK 9.2, it finally recognized my NIC card andn it worked
    fine.

Asus BIOS Motherboards