Wake-on-LAN with P2B and 3Com 3C905C

Hello

I'm trying to get the Wake-on-Lan feature working with:
Asus P2B pcb 1.02 bios 1014 Beta 002 and
3Com 3C905C-TX-M network card.

I enabled Wake-on-Lan in BIOS, and connected the wire from the card to the
motherboard.

When the system shuts off, the lights on the network card remain on, so I'm
guessing it's getting standby power. Yet no magic packet will turn it on, I
tried the AMD app, as well as 2 others.

One thing I'm confused about is the wire, since the manual gives a different
pinout from the standard Wake-on-Lan one...

If anyone got a similar setup working with WOL, please let me know how you
did it. Any other advise with regards to getting it working would also be
most appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PS. Is there any nice way of remote shutdown, when running Windows XP?

Paul

Splendid

In article <sHTOc.1237$Kz81.52@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>,
"Oleg Ace" <aceoleg@rogers.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm trying to get the Wake-on-Lan feature working with:
> Asus P2B pcb 1.02 bios 1014 Beta 002 and
> 3Com 3C905C-TX-M network card.
>
> I enabled Wake-on-Lan in BIOS, and connected the wire from the card to the
> motherboard.
>
> When the system shuts off, the lights on the network card remain on, so I'm
> guessing it's getting standby power. Yet no magic packet will turn it on, I
> tried the AMD app, as well as 2 others.
>
> One thing I'm confused about is the wire, since the manual gives a different
> pinout from the standard Wake-on-Lan one...
>
> If anyone got a similar setup working with WOL, please let me know how you
> did it. Any other advise with regards to getting it working would also be
> most appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS. Is there any nice way of remote shutdown, when running Windows XP?

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/result.jsp?selected=all&sort=effdt&sku=3C905C-TX-M&order=desc

The 905cuser.pdf document talks about a diagnostic program. Have
you installed that and tried it ?

The TX-M card has dual wakeup connections. In a PCI 2.2 motherboard,
no cable is needed, as PME is on the PCI connector. On the P2B, you'll
need the cable, as the PCI bus isn't 2.2 version.

The 3COM pinout is mentioned here:
http://support.3com.com/infodeli/inotes/techtran/128c6_5ea.htm

"With the dovetail key slot at the bottom, pin 1 is located
on the right

Pin 1.....+5V Standby power
Pin 2.....Ground
Pin 3.....PME (Power Management Enable) signal

------------
| 3 2 1| <---- I made this figure based on the description
--- --- but this cannot be right! Other Asus docs
like the P3B-F manual show the reverse order
for the pins. I must be interpreting the
3com info incorrectly.

Hmmm. The P2B manual shows the third pin is "no connect", instead
of being PME. They cannot be serious. How could that work ?
And the two pins they do show, don't line up with the info above.

The kicker is the section in the P2B manual that documents the
L101 LAN card. On PDF page 59 of this document, the L101 LAN
card has a jumper labelled "Asus/Other", implying the WOL
definition changes depending on whether the motherboard is a
P2B or not. That is not a good sign.

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/asuscom/HANDBUCH/Motherboard/Slot_I/INTEL_Chipset/p2b-110.pdf

I cannot get to the Asus website right now, so I hope the bookmark
above is still valid.

Searching in Google on P2B and WOL, shows there was a time when
the Wake On LAN function had three or four options, implying there
wasn't a defacto standard to work to. Intel defined the current
PME based 3 pin configuration, which is used on motherboards
later than the P2B, but in true Intel fashion, that info has been
removed from the Intel site. So, there isn't much opportunity to
research the history.

My guess is, you won't be 'Waking on LAN" any time soon on
that board. The evidence isn't good.

Paul