ASUS A7N8X-E - DOA?

I have a BNIB A7N8X-E, I think it's DOA. No POST beep, no voice errors.

How can I prove it's the mobo and not the CPU, memory, or video card?

If I run the mobo without CPU, memory, or video, I still get no POST beep,
but never having done this before I don't know if that's to be expected.
5 answers Last reply
More about asus a7n8x

    Vince wrote:

    > I have a BNIB A7N8X-E, I think it's DOA. No POST beep, no voice errors.
    >
    > How can I prove it's the mobo and not the CPU, memory, or video card?
    >
    > If I run the mobo without CPU, memory, or video, I still get no POST beep,
    > but never having done this before I don't know if that's to be expected.

    For a proper POST, you have to have a valid video BIOS POST first, then it
    passes control over to the BIOS of the mainboard, which won't allow a POST
    without a CPU and Memory, at minimum. So...the only way to verify is to
    test or know that the components are good.

    Can you test your CPU/Memory/Video Card anywhere else?
    --
    Kirbalo...

    K7S5A Pro, Athlon XP 1600+
    1 Gig DDR, 120 GB, nVidia GeForce 4 MX 440
    SuSE Linux 9.0 Pro & XP Pro Dual Boot
    Linux 2.4.21-231-athlon
    5:31pm up 1 day 20:31, 3 users, load average: 1.05, 1.13, 1.16

    Sometime on, or about Sat, 31 Jul 2004 21:47:43 GMT, Vince wrote:

    > I have a BNIB A7N8X-E, I think it's DOA. No POST beep, no voice errors.
    >
    > How can I prove it's the mobo and not the CPU, memory, or video card?
    >
    > If I run the mobo without CPU, memory, or video, I still get no POST beep,
    > but never having done this before I don't know if that's to be expected.

    Try swapping out your video card, CPU and memory one at a time. You
    might also want to verify your power supply works too. If nothing
    seems to help, then the board might be dead.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    In article <3sUOc.1646$UN2.364@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>, "Vince"
    <nospam@please.com> wrote:

    > I have a BNIB A7N8X-E, I think it's DOA. No POST beep, no voice errors.
    >
    > How can I prove it's the mobo and not the CPU, memory, or video card?
    >
    > If I run the mobo without CPU, memory, or video, I still get no POST beep,
    > but never having done this before I don't know if that's to be expected.

    If you run the board without any components in it, the Voice POST
    should tell you there is no CPU installed. You say you have +5VSB,
    by the fact that the green LED on the motherboard is lit. When that
    LED is lit, you should NOT be removing or adding components to the
    computer. Turn off the computer at the back and unplug, before doing
    any work. (The reason this is necessary, is one poster here had a
    PSU that continued to work, even after the switch was set to OFF.
    The PSU had a bad power switch. Unplugging ensures there is no way
    for stray power to ruin something. If +5VSB is present when clearing
    the CMOS, for example, you can burn a small dual diode in the CMOS
    standby power path.)

    Plug a set of amplified speakers into the lime colored, lineout jack
    on the back of the computer. Turn on the power supply on the computer.
    You can use the power switch on the front of the computer, or
    momentarily touch a (ESD drained) screwdriver tip to the two power
    switch pins on the PANEL header on the motherboard. Soon after
    that, you should hear the Voice POST announce your CPU is missing.

    There are probably a whole bunch of things that could stop it from
    working. A couple I can think of:

    A defective "AGP Warn" circuit will prevent the power switch
    on the front of the computer case from working. I think pulling
    the video card should disable that thing. Verify you are getting
    the fans to spin, when you press the power switch on the front of
    the computer. A lack of power could even be that the PSU isn't
    listening to PS_ON#. You could verify the PSU works, by using it
    on another computer.

    Assuming the fans are spinning and you can hear the hard drive
    spinning up, then for the Voice POST to not say anything, could
    mean the reset circuit is not coming out of reset. All voltages
    generated locally on the motherboard have to be stable before
    the reset signal is deasserted, and the Voice POST can start.
    The Voice POST should need very little to work - just the
    presence of +5VSB (and you have the green LED to prove that is
    there) plus a working reset signal. (If the reset switch on the
    computer case is busted in the "stuck ON" state, that can bugger
    up the reset as well. Disconnect the reset switch from the
    PANEL header to check that possibility.)

    I'm told by another poster that he didn't even need the two jumpers
    to be on the FP_AUDIO header, to be able to hear the Voice POST.
    To be on the safe side, verify the jumpers are present and installed
    properly anyway.

    Before giving up on the motherboard, you should do the "cardboard
    test". Place the motherboard on top of an insulator (I use a piece
    of board). I lay the PSU and motherboard on a table top, and verify
    piece by piece, adding components and listening to the Voice POST, to
    see that it is getting past the detection stage for each one. By the
    time you get to adding the keyboard and mouse, it can take up to a
    minute after power is applied to the board, before the Voice POST
    will tell you the keyboard is missing. (Use some ESD precautions,
    such as touching the PSU case before inserting cards or CPUs etc.
    Bring your body to ground potential, so no static leaps through you
    and the pins on any components.)

    If the board works on a piece of cardboard, then examine the case for
    any means of shorting the board. If the screw heads on the standoffs
    are too large, or are off center, they might be touching a component
    or a live signal track. Also, only place standoffs where they line up
    with screw holes on the motherboard. The screw holes on the motherboard
    are plated and grounded on purpose, and are intended to come in contact
    with the standoffs. Using a standoff where there is no hole, means it
    can touch a signal track and short it.

    Paul

    Kirbalo, Sam, Paul - many thanks for your tips!

    I discovered I had the speakers plugged into the wrong audio jack, so
    I'm now getting the speech warnings. Sometimes I get "system failed
    memory test", sometimes "system failed due to CPU overclocking",
    (I'm not overclocking) after clearing the CMOS. It will only report a
    speech error once after CMOS reset, any further boot attempts result
    in silence.

    So I have a good MOBO, I think, just now to figure out if it's the CPU
    or the memory. I'm leaning towards the CPU, as I get the same results
    using either of the two memory cards I use (Mushkin PC3200 black).

    "Vince" <nospam@please.com> wrote in message
    > Kirbalo, Sam, Paul - many thanks for your tips!
    >
    > I discovered I had the speakers plugged into the wrong audio jack, so
    > I'm now getting the speech warnings. Sometimes I get "system failed
    > memory test", sometimes "system failed due to CPU overclocking",
    > (I'm not overclocking) after clearing the CMOS. It will only report a
    > speech error once after CMOS reset, any further boot attempts result
    > in silence.
    >
    > So I have a good MOBO, I think, just now to figure out if it's the CPU
    > or the memory. I'm leaning towards the CPU, as I get the same results
    > using either of the two memory cards I use (Mushkin PC3200 black).

    Was this new boxed kit, or used?..
    What processor (cpu) are you trying to use in it?..
    Is it a new processor (cpu) or used?..

Asus CPUs Memory Motherboards