change paging file size

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

When I click my computer->Properties->Advanced->Performance Options->Change,

Here's the settings, and I want to change the paging file size:
Paging file size for selected drive
Drive: C
Space available: 5868 MB.

default setting in virtual memory:
initial size: 384
maximum size: 768

When I tried to set the maximum size to 5000,
and click Set button, it pops up a system
Control Panel Applet message saying "Enter
a maximum page file size that is greater than or equal to the inital page
file size, and less than 4095 MB."

My question is what is the recommended initial size and maximum size??
And how do i figure out?

please advise. thanks!!
3 answers Last reply
More about change paging file size
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Hi Matt,

    Are you running on FAT32? If so, then you can't make the paging file larger
    than 4GB (max file size on a FAT32 volume). You also can't make the maximum
    size any larger than the available space on that voume.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Matt" <mattloude@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > When I click my computer->Properties->Advanced->Performance
    Options->Change,

    > Here's the settings, and I want to change the paging file size:
    > Paging file size for selected drive
    > Drive: C
    > Space available: 5868 MB.
    >
    > default setting in virtual memory:
    > initial size: 384
    > maximum size: 768
    >
    > When I tried to set the maximum size to 5000,
    > and click Set button, it pops up a system
    > Control Panel Applet message saying "Enter
    > a maximum page file size that is greater than or equal to the inital page
    > file size, and less than 4095 MB."
    >
    > My question is what is the recommended initial size and maximum size??
    > And how do i figure out?
    >
    > please advise. thanks!!

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Rick, No I think the file system is NTFS.

    > Hi Matt,
    >
    > Are you running on FAT32? If so, then you can't make the paging file
    larger
    > than 4GB (max file size on a FAT32 volume). You also can't make the
    maximum
    > size any larger than the available space on that voume.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,
    >
    > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
    > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Matt" <mattloude@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > When I click my computer->Properties->Advanced->Performance
    > Options->Change,
    > >
    > > Here's the settings, and I want to change the paging file size:
    > > Paging file size for selected drive
    > > Drive: C
    > > Space available: 5868 MB.
    > >
    > > default setting in virtual memory:
    > > initial size: 384
    > > maximum size: 768
    > >
    > > When I tried to set the maximum size to 5000,
    > > and click Set button, it pops up a system
    > > Control Panel Applet message saying "Enter
    > > a maximum page file size that is greater than or equal to the inital
    page
    > > file size, and less than 4095 MB."
    > >
    > > My question is what is the recommended initial size and maximum size??
    > > And how do i figure out?
    > >
    > > please advise. thanks!!

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Right-click the drive in Windows Explorer, choose properties. The file
    system will show on the general tab.

    --

    > Rick, No I think the file system is NTFS.

    > > Hi Matt,
    > >
    > > Are you running on FAT32? If so, then you can't make the paging file
    > larger
    > > than 4GB (max file size on a FAT32 volume). You also can't make the
    > maximum
    > > size any larger than the available space on that voume.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Best of Luck,
    > >
    > > Rick Rogers aka "Nutcase" MS-MVP - Windows
    > > Windows isn't rocket science! That's my other hobby!
    > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > > Associate Expert - WinXP - Expert Zone
    > > www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > > Win98 Help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >
    > > "Matt" <mattloude@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > When I click my computer->Properties->Advanced->Performance
    > > Options->Change,
    > > >
    > > > Here's the settings, and I want to change the paging file size:
    > > > Paging file size for selected drive
    > > > Drive: C
    > > > Space available: 5868 MB.
    > > >
    > > > default setting in virtual memory:
    > > > initial size: 384
    > > > maximum size: 768
    > > >
    > > > When I tried to set the maximum size to 5000,
    > > > and click Set button, it pops up a system
    > > > Control Panel Applet message saying "Enter
    > > > a maximum page file size that is greater than or equal to the inital
    > page
    > > > file size, and less than 4095 MB."
    > > >
    > > > My question is what is the recommended initial size and maximum size??
    > > > And how do i figure out?
    > > >
    > > > please advise. thanks!!

File Size Microsoft Windows XP