Philips sound card and P4P800 SE

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

I recently built a system with P4P800 SE and experienced constant
crashes into a total reboot usually when playing games but sometimes
just roaming the internet. Never a crash to desktop always reboot.
After a long troubleshooting period I pulled out the Philips PCS706
soundcard and all troubles disappeared. I used the onboard sound and
everything worked great. I reinstalled the soundcard in a different
location and same problems returned. My question is has anyone else
experienced this or could I have a defective sound card, it came out
of another Asus P4PE board and never had a problem with it. All
drivers and software updates were current, nothing overclocked.

P4P800 SE
P4 Prescott 2.8
1Gig Kingston ram
ATI 9500 Pro
Win XP Pro.
Antec 400 watt

Thanks
Rick B.

Rick,

I'm by no means an expert, but it occurs to ask if you disabled the onboard
sound when you were using the Phillips card? From reading many posts in the
NG, I get the idea that disabling any unused onboard devices is a good idea.

John

"Rick" <rblythe@satx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I recently built a system with P4P800 SE and experienced constant
> crashes into a total reboot usually when playing games but sometimes
> just roaming the internet. Never a crash to desktop always reboot.
> After a long troubleshooting period I pulled out the Philips PCS706
> soundcard and all troubles disappeared. I used the onboard sound and
> everything worked great. I reinstalled the soundcard in a different
> location and same problems returned. My question is has anyone else
> experienced this or could I have a defective sound card, it came out
> of another Asus P4PE board and never had a problem with it. All
> drivers and software updates were current, nothing overclocked.
>
> P4P800 SE
> P4 Prescott 2.8
> 1Gig Kingston ram
> ATI 9500 Pro
> Win XP Pro.
> Antec 400 watt
>
> Thanks
> Rick B.

Paul

Splendid

In article <emaog016kmi3n75cfqg8lp83igujcqgoi3@4ax.com>, Rick
<rblythe@satx.rr.com> wrote:

> I recently built a system with P4P800 SE and experienced constant
> crashes into a total reboot usually when playing games but sometimes
> just roaming the internet. Never a crash to desktop always reboot.
> After a long troubleshooting period I pulled out the Philips PCS706
> soundcard and all troubles disappeared. I used the onboard sound and
> everything worked great. I reinstalled the soundcard in a different
> location and same problems returned. My question is has anyone else
> experienced this or could I have a defective sound card, it came out
> of another Asus P4PE board and never had a problem with it. All
> drivers and software updates were current, nothing overclocked.
>
> P4P800 SE
> P4 Prescott 2.8
> 1Gig Kingston ram
> ATI 9500 Pro
> Win XP Pro.
> Antec 400 watt
>
> Thanks
> Rick B.

Enter PSC706 in the search box, and set the "data range" to "All Posts"
http://www.3dss-forums.com/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/search.pl?Cat=

That is an interesting product. It is based on a programmable DSP chip.
Apparently, beta drivers do not get delivered to the Philips site, so
you may have to search around to do better that what you find here
(that is what I just read in those forums):

http://www.consumer.philips.com (click drivers at the top)

Perhaps one difference between your old machine and the new one,
is the presence of Hyperthreading. Some Creative drivers got
caught with HT problems, and maybe the Philips drivers have a
similar problem ? Try disabling HT in the BIOS and see what
happens.

Paul