A7N8X-E Deluxe updating BIOS

Hi!

My first time with the above mentioned motherboard is puzzling me. Reported
BIOS is 1009 and on the ASUS website is version 1011 available for download.
I've tried to update to version 1011 but the Awdflash (8.23z and 8.24b)
backs up the previous BIOS and then just stops as it should begin writing
the new BIOS. Furthermore there is no version 1009 available for download
from ASUS. Am I missing something here?

Anders J
8 answers Last reply
More about a7n8x deluxe updating bios

    "Anders Jakobsson" <anders.REMOVETHIS.b12.ANDTHIS@tele2.se> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > My first time with the above mentioned motherboard is puzzling me.
    Reported
    > BIOS is 1009 and on the ASUS website is version 1011 available for
    download.
    > I've tried to update to version 1011 but the Awdflash (8.23z and 8.24b)
    > backs up the previous BIOS and then just stops as it should begin writing
    > the new BIOS. Furthermore there is no version 1009 available for download
    > from ASUS. Am I missing something here?
    >
    > Anders J

    Are you sure it hasn't stopped while backing up the previous
    BIOS? If you made an XP dos start-up disk and put both
    Awdflash and the 1011 file, the old BIOS won't fit on the
    floppy. What I do is have a formatted disk, with plenty of room,
    that I swap with my flashing boot floppy just long enough to save
    the old BIOS. This may mean that I have to restart the flash and
    not select to save the old BIOS (since I now have it on a floppy)
    but all goes well after that.

    The version 1009 and also 1010 BIOS have a mysterious
    past, that no one seems to be willing to discuss. I suspect it's all
    part of a vast Taiwanese conspiracy.

    Luck;
    Ken

    "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> skrev i meddelandet

    > "Anders Jakobsson" <anders.REMOVETHIS.b12.ANDTHIS@tele2.se> wrote in
    message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > My first time with the above mentioned motherboard is puzzling me.
    > Reported
    > > BIOS is 1009 and on the ASUS website is version 1011 available for
    > download.
    > > I've tried to update to version 1011 but the Awdflash (8.23z and 8.24b)
    > > backs up the previous BIOS and then just stops as it should begin
    writing
    > > the new BIOS. Furthermore there is no version 1009 available for
    download
    > > from ASUS. Am I missing something here?
    > >
    > > Anders J
    > >

    > Are you sure it hasn't stopped while backing up the previous
    > BIOS? If you made an XP dos start-up disk and put both
    > Awdflash and the 1011 file, the old BIOS won't fit on the
    > floppy. What I do is have a formatted disk, with plenty of room,
    > that I swap with my flashing boot floppy just long enough to save
    > the old BIOS. This may mean that I have to restart the flash and
    > not select to save the old BIOS (since I now have it on a floppy)
    > but all goes well after that.
    >
    > The version 1009 and also 1010 BIOS have a mysterious
    > past, that no one seems to be willing to discuss. I suspect it's all
    > part of a vast Taiwanese conspiracy.
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    I use a Windows 98 boot disk with just the system files (Config.sys and
    Autoexec.bat are empty). The program backs up the old BIOS all right, and I
    am presented with an option "Press 'Y' to program 'N' to exit". If I press N
    the program exits, if I press Y nothing happens. Strange enough the built-in
    flasher behaves exactly the same.

    Thanks

    Anders J

    Sometime on, or about Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:06:19 GMT, Anders Jakobsson
    wrote:

    > "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> skrev i meddelandet
    >>
    >> "Anders Jakobsson" <anders.REMOVETHIS.b12.ANDTHIS@tele2.se> wrote in
    > message
    >>> Hi!
    >>>
    >>> My first time with the above mentioned motherboard is puzzling me.
    >> Reported
    >>> BIOS is 1009 and on the ASUS website is version 1011 available for
    >> download.
    >>> I've tried to update to version 1011 but the Awdflash (8.23z and 8.24b)
    >>> backs up the previous BIOS and then just stops as it should begin
    > writing
    >>> the new BIOS. Furthermore there is no version 1009 available for
    > download
    >>> from ASUS. Am I missing something here?
    >>>
    >>> Anders J
    >>>

    >> Are you sure it hasn't stopped while backing up the previous
    >> BIOS? If you made an XP dos start-up disk and put both
    >> Awdflash and the 1011 file, the old BIOS won't fit on the
    >> floppy. What I do is have a formatted disk, with plenty of room,
    >> that I swap with my flashing boot floppy just long enough to save
    >> the old BIOS. This may mean that I have to restart the flash and
    >> not select to save the old BIOS (since I now have it on a floppy)
    >> but all goes well after that.
    >>
    >> The version 1009 and also 1010 BIOS have a mysterious
    >> past, that no one seems to be willing to discuss. I suspect it's all
    >> part of a vast Taiwanese conspiracy.
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken
    >>

    > I use a Windows 98 boot disk with just the system files (Config.sys and
    > Autoexec.bat are empty). The program backs up the old BIOS all right, and I
    > am presented with an option "Press 'Y' to program 'N' to exit". If I press N
    > the program exits, if I press Y nothing happens. Strange enough the built-in
    > flasher behaves exactly the same.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Anders J

    Are you using the Awdflash that came on the CD with your MB? If not,
    try that one. I typically put the BIOS file and Awdflash on a separate
    floppy from the boot one. Why? There's not enough room to hold the
    backup BIOS file and everything else on a single floppy. So try
    booting from the boot floppy. Then, from the A:\ prompt, swap disks
    and put in your BIOS floppy. If you want to automate things a bit, try
    using this command:
    "awdflash C18E1011.BIN BIOS.OLD /py /sy /cd /cp /cc /LD /E"

    You will need to reset all of your changes in BIOS after you do this.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > Sometime on, or about Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:06:19 GMT, Anders Jakobsson
    > wrote:
    >
    > > "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> skrev i meddelandet
    > >>
    > >> "Anders Jakobsson" <anders.REMOVETHIS.b12.ANDTHIS@tele2.se> wrote in
    > > message

    > >> Reported
    > >> download.
    > > writing
    > > download

    > >> Are you sure it hasn't stopped while backing up the previous
    > >> BIOS? If you made an XP dos start-up disk and put both
    > >> Awdflash and the 1011 file, the old BIOS won't fit on the
    > >> floppy. What I do is have a formatted disk, with plenty of room,
    > >> that I swap with my flashing boot floppy just long enough to save
    > >> the old BIOS. This may mean that I have to restart the flash and
    > >> not select to save the old BIOS (since I now have it on a floppy)
    > >> but all goes well after that.
    > >>
    > >> The version 1009 and also 1010 BIOS have a mysterious
    > >> past, that no one seems to be willing to discuss. I suspect it's all
    > >> part of a vast Taiwanese conspiracy.
    > >>
    > >> Luck;
    > >> Ken
    > >>

    > > I use a Windows 98 boot disk with just the system files (Config.sys and
    > > Autoexec.bat are empty). The program backs up the old BIOS all right,
    and I
    > > am presented with an option "Press 'Y' to program 'N' to exit". If I
    press N
    > > the program exits, if I press Y nothing happens. Strange enough the
    built-in
    > > flasher behaves exactly the same.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Anders J
    >
    > Are you using the Awdflash that came on the CD with your MB? If not,
    > try that one. I typically put the BIOS file and Awdflash on a separate
    > floppy from the boot one. Why? There's not enough room to hold the
    > backup BIOS file and everything else on a single floppy. So try
    > booting from the boot floppy. Then, from the A:\ prompt, swap disks
    > and put in your BIOS floppy. If you want to automate things a bit, try
    > using this command:
    > "awdflash C18E1011.BIN BIOS.OLD /py /sy /cd /cp /cc /LD /E"
    >
    > You will need to reset all of your changes in BIOS after you do this.
    >
    > Sam
    > --
    > To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    Thanks!!

    That worked very nice!!

    Anders J

    Sometime on, or about Mon, 02 Aug 2004 12:04:27 GMT, Anders wrote:

    > "Sam" <srs2_11BS@bsHotmailBS.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >> Sometime on, or about Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:06:19 GMT, Anders Jakobsson
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "Ken Maltby" <kmaltby@sbcglobal.net> skrev i meddelandet

    >>> message

    > 8.24b)
    >>> writing
    >>> download

    >>> I use a Windows 98 boot disk with just the system files (Config.sys and
    >>> Autoexec.bat are empty). The program backs up the old BIOS all right,
    > and I
    >>> am presented with an option "Press 'Y' to program 'N' to exit". If I
    > press N
    >>> the program exits, if I press Y nothing happens. Strange enough the
    > built-in
    >>> flasher behaves exactly the same.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Anders J
    >>
    >> Are you using the Awdflash that came on the CD with your MB? If not,
    >> try that one. I typically put the BIOS file and Awdflash on a separate
    >> floppy from the boot one. Why? There's not enough room to hold the
    >> backup BIOS file and everything else on a single floppy. So try
    >> booting from the boot floppy. Then, from the A:\ prompt, swap disks
    >> and put in your BIOS floppy. If you want to automate things a bit, try
    >> using this command:
    >> "awdflash C18E1011.BIN BIOS.OLD /py /sy /cd /cp /cc /LD /E"
    >>
    >> You will need to reset all of your changes in BIOS after you do this.
    >>
    >> Sam
    >> --
    >> To mail me, please get rid of the BS first
    >
    > Thanks!!
    >
    > That worked very nice!!
    >
    > Anders J

    Great!! Glad to hear it.

    Sam
    --
    To mail me, please get rid of the BS first

    "Anders Jakobsson" <anders.REMOVETHIS.b12.ANDTHIS@tele2.se> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > My first time with the above mentioned motherboard is puzzling me.
    Reported
    > BIOS is 1009 and on the ASUS website is version 1011 available for
    download.
    > I've tried to update to version 1011 but the Awdflash (8.23z and 8.24b)
    > backs up the previous BIOS and then just stops as it should begin writing
    > the new BIOS. Furthermore there is no version 1009 available for download
    > from ASUS. Am I missing something here?
    >
    > Anders J

    Hi Anders

    I had exactly the same issues...
    I used the Asus os utility to flash to 1011. (eek!)
    However, after doing so my machine blue screened
    with a stop error and I couldn't recover without a
    repair install... not good!
    Works ok now though....

    Good luck!
    Cheers
    Ted

    "texterted" <nospam@hotmail"100".com> a écrit dans le message de

    > "Anders Jakobsson" <anders.REMOVETHIS.b12.ANDTHIS@tele2.se> wrote in
    message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > My first time with the above mentioned motherboard is puzzling me.
    > Reported
    > > BIOS is 1009 and on the ASUS website is version 1011 available for
    > download.
    > > I've tried to update to version 1011 but the Awdflash (8.23z and 8.24b)
    > > backs up the previous BIOS and then just stops as it should begin
    writing
    > > the new BIOS. Furthermore there is no version 1009 available for
    download
    > > from ASUS. Am I missing something here?
    > >
    > > Anders J
    > >
    > Hi Anders
    >
    > I had exactly the same issues...
    > I used the Asus os utility to flash to 1011. (eek!)
    > However, after doing so my machine blue screened
    > with a stop error and I couldn't recover without a
    > repair install... not good!
    > Works ok now though....
    >
    > Good luck!
    > Cheers
    > Ted

    I also had to repair install after moving from 1009.

    Hi, I just thought id register to say that I had the exact same
    problem (It froze completely after "Do you want to program the
    bios"?)

    After that I was pretty much too scared to try again because I thought
    i may damage the bios permanently. But thanks to sam's technique (the
    command switches - i used the AWDFLASH off the asus website) it
    worked great.

    Thanks again Sam!

Asus BIOS Motherboards