server problem

I have Googled this problem and have tried the various suggestions.
My problem is my friends get an error message about a "c" class lan
server when trying to connect to my game.
I don't have a router.
I am not behind a firewall.
I have tried changing my config file to read sv_lan 0, and one other
file that was also suggested.
I have tried launching the game first, then typing sv_lan 0 into the
console, but that causes the game to crash.
Any ideas?
TIA

Respectfully, Bob

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:06:49 -0400, Bob Loblaw
<inocentbystndr1@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I have Googled this problem and have tried the various suggestions.
>My problem is my friends get an error message about a "c" class lan
>server when trying to connect to my game.
>I don't have a router.
>I am not behind a firewall.
>I have tried changing my config file to read sv_lan 0, and one other
>file that was also suggested.
>I have tried launching the game first, then typing sv_lan 0 into the
>console, but that causes the game to crash.
>Any ideas?
>TIA
>
>Respectfully, Bob

verify your game cache files on the steam website. bona fide commands
typed into the console should never make your game crash.

dr ratt

gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
gary: you know i can't promise that.
lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
gary: i promise. i will never die.

dr ratt wrote:

> verify your game cache files on the steam website. bona fide commands
> typed into the console should never make your game crash.

How do I "verify the cache files"?
If you're inquiring if this is a ligitimate, store-bought game, it is.
As a matter of fact, I bought 2 copies, one for me, one for my kids to
use on the other computer.

Respectfully, Bob

> dr ratt wrote:
>
>> verify your game cache files on the steam website. bona fide commands
>> typed into the console should never make your game crash.

Ignore my first response. I just went to Steam and am now verifying.
I'll try launching a server later and let you know if it worked.
Cheers!

Respectfully, Bob

Bob Loblaw wrote:
> I have Googled this problem and have tried the various suggestions.
> My problem is my friends get an error message about a "c" class lan
> server when trying to connect to my game.

You are starting a server from within the CS or CSS by choosing create
server I assume. By deafult this only works on a lan.

So you *must* use sv_lan 0 or else people outside your lan (I know you
havn't got one) won't be able to connect.

If it crashes when you type sv_lan 0 in then there is a problem. With
what I don't know. You could try re-installing your CS game from scratch.

Also try creating a half life game to see if that crashes too. You may
then be able to narrow it down to the mod and re-install it.

NB- in general, when experimenting with settings, rather than trying to
change your config file, *first* type them into your console instead
since that should work for most settings- sometimes config files can get
overwritten or not get called if they are not setup correctly, which is
another thing to track down when you're trying to fix something.