server problem

I have Googled this problem and have tried the various suggestions.
My problem is my friends get an error message about a "c" class lan
server when trying to connect to my game.
I don't have a router.
I am not behind a firewall.
I have tried changing my config file to read sv_lan 0, and one other
file that was also suggested.
I have tried launching the game first, then typing sv_lan 0 into the
console, but that causes the game to crash.
Any ideas?
TIA

Respectfully, Bob
4 answers Last reply
More about server problem

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 10:06:49 -0400, Bob Loblaw
    <inocentbystndr1@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >I have Googled this problem and have tried the various suggestions.
    >My problem is my friends get an error message about a "c" class lan
    >server when trying to connect to my game.
    >I don't have a router.
    >I am not behind a firewall.
    >I have tried changing my config file to read sv_lan 0, and one other
    >file that was also suggested.
    >I have tried launching the game first, then typing sv_lan 0 into the
    >console, but that causes the game to crash.
    >Any ideas?
    >TIA
    >
    >Respectfully, Bob

    verify your game cache files on the steam website. bona fide commands
    typed into the console should never make your game crash.

    dr ratt

    gary: so there's no chance we can be together?
    lisa: only if you promise me you'll never die.
    gary: you know i can't promise that.
    lisa: if you could do that, i'd make love to you, right now.
    gary: i promise. i will never die.

    dr ratt wrote:

    > verify your game cache files on the steam website. bona fide commands
    > typed into the console should never make your game crash.

    How do I "verify the cache files"?
    If you're inquiring if this is a ligitimate, store-bought game, it is.
    As a matter of fact, I bought 2 copies, one for me, one for my kids to
    use on the other computer.

    Respectfully, Bob

    > dr ratt wrote:
    >
    >> verify your game cache files on the steam website. bona fide commands
    >> typed into the console should never make your game crash.

    Ignore my first response. I just went to Steam and am now verifying.
    I'll try launching a server later and let you know if it worked.
    Cheers!

    Respectfully, Bob
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.half-life.counterstrike (More info?)

    Bob Loblaw wrote:
    > I have Googled this problem and have tried the various suggestions.
    > My problem is my friends get an error message about a "c" class lan
    > server when trying to connect to my game.

    You are starting a server from within the CS or CSS by choosing create
    server I assume. By deafult this only works on a lan.

    So you *must* use sv_lan 0 or else people outside your lan (I know you
    havn't got one) won't be able to connect.

    If it crashes when you type sv_lan 0 in then there is a problem. With
    what I don't know. You could try re-installing your CS game from scratch.

    Also try creating a half life game to see if that crashes too. You may
    then be able to narrow it down to the mod and re-install it.

    NB- in general, when experimenting with settings, rather than trying to
    change your config file, *first* type them into your console instead
    since that should work for most settings- sometimes config files can get
    overwritten or not get called if they are not setup correctly, which is
    another thing to track down when you're trying to fix something.

LAN Games Servers Video Games