A strange memory/ram problem....

When I boot my PC with the bios quick memory check disabled the bios reports
a memory fail error but still reports the full amount of memory available
and the computer still boots into XP OK.
I ran a diskette based DOS memory checker/tester and it always fails at the
381Mb mark with it's memory write/read pattern test not matching...
Total system ram is 512Mb in two 256Mb SDRAM DDR non parity/non buffered
modules.

I removed the second bank ram module and the bios no longer reports a memory
fail error; neither does the memory checker/tester...

So there is obviously a fault in the second ram module;

This is where it gets strange....
When the computer boots into XP it does not fail or report any errors; (no
BOSD's Stops, etc) Nor do any applications fail; XP reports the full amount
of memory is available; So does AIDA32, and several other system info
programs I have tried....

I play Sim City 4 quite a lot, and it uses nearly all of the free ram when
running and it runs OK as well; I have also started playing Railroad Tycoon
3 which also is a 'memory intensive' program...

I would have thought with a physical fault in ram I would be having (at the
very least) lots of program crashes, OS failures, etc.....
I have googled for info on ram errors, read up on mntce/repair in all my
books, and everything I read says the system should either not work at all,
or at least be very unstable...

The event viewer doesn't show any application, security, or system errors
either....

Anyone have any idea's why this is happening, or anything else I can check
before I use it as an excuse to upgrade/increase the ram in the system?

--
mlvburke@xxxxxxxx.nz
Found Images

    Download memtest you will need to google for the address. Evey memory fault
    I have seen has made the computer unstable. Not sure why your comp is stable
    but reporting errors unless there is a bug in the bios somehere.

    Glen

    "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz> wrote in message
    > When I boot my PC with the bios quick memory check disabled the bios
    reports
    > a memory fail error but still reports the full amount of memory available
    > and the computer still boots into XP OK.
    > I ran a diskette based DOS memory checker/tester and it always fails at
    the
    > 381Mb mark with it's memory write/read pattern test not matching...
    > Total system ram is 512Mb in two 256Mb SDRAM DDR non parity/non buffered
    > modules.
    >
    > I removed the second bank ram module and the bios no longer reports a
    memory
    > fail error; neither does the memory checker/tester...
    >
    > So there is obviously a fault in the second ram module;
    >
    > This is where it gets strange....
    > When the computer boots into XP it does not fail or report any errors; (no
    > BOSD's Stops, etc) Nor do any applications fail; XP reports the full
    amount
    > of memory is available; So does AIDA32, and several other system info
    > programs I have tried....
    >
    > I play Sim City 4 quite a lot, and it uses nearly all of the free ram when
    > running and it runs OK as well; I have also started playing Railroad
    Tycoon
    > 3 which also is a 'memory intensive' program...
    >
    > I would have thought with a physical fault in ram I would be having (at
    the
    > very least) lots of program crashes, OS failures, etc.....
    > I have googled for info on ram errors, read up on mntce/repair in all my
    > books, and everything I read says the system should either not work at
    all,
    > or at least be very unstable...
    >
    > The event viewer doesn't show any application, security, or system errors
    > either....
    >
    > Anyone have any idea's why this is happening, or anything else I can check
    > before I use it as an excuse to upgrade/increase the ram in the system?
    >
    > --
    > mlvburke@xxxxxxxx.nz
    > Replace the obvious with paradise.net to email me
    > Found Images
    > http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/~mlvburke

    "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz> wrote in message
    > This is where it gets strange....
    > When the computer boots into XP it does not fail or report any errors; (no
    > BOSD's Stops, etc) Nor do any applications fail; XP reports the full amount
    > of memory is available; So does AIDA32, and several other system info
    > programs I have tried....

    Sounds like your memory error is in a place that doesn't
    (usually) cause noticeable damage. You might download
    memtest86 from http://www.memtest86.com as a
    further check for your memory. Use Crucial's
    memory configurer at http://www.crucial.com to find
    compatible memory for your computer, in case you're
    unsure what memory your computer takes.

    -- Bob Day
    Free "HomeSentinal" webcam surveillance software, with
    motion detection, at: http://bobday.vze.com.

RAM Memory Windows XP