p4p800e won't boot, no error beeps, fans turning

Newbie. Antec Neopower 480. Corsair DDR400 kit (2 512mb sticks) P4 3.0E
processor, Barracuda 7200.7 SATA hd hooked up to SATA1 site (non-raid) on
P4P800E dlxe mb. Samsung CD-RW/DVD SM-308 with aux cord connected or not, no
difference. I have connected the CD ROM to the IDE Pri socket and the IDE
2nd socket without effect. IBM LCD monitor using a VGA connector. I haven't
changed any of the default jumper settings on the mb, which I'm hoping is
the problem. I read the posts about the bad memory socket, so I have gone to
one stick of memory to test without success. Please help. Thanks. Can reach
me on this site or email to v82j-tristan@yahoo.com

Paul

Splendid

In article <410d71f0$1_4@127.0.0.1>, v82j-tristan@yahoo.com wrote:

> Newbie. Antec Neopower 480. Corsair DDR400 kit (2 512mb sticks) P4 3.0E
> processor, Barracuda 7200.7 SATA hd hooked up to SATA1 site (non-raid) on
> P4P800E dlxe mb. Samsung CD-RW/DVD SM-308 with aux cord connected or not, no
> difference. I have connected the CD ROM to the IDE Pri socket and the IDE
> 2nd socket without effect. IBM LCD monitor using a VGA connector. I haven't
> changed any of the default jumper settings on the mb, which I'm hoping is
> the problem. I read the posts about the bad memory socket, so I have gone to
> one stick of memory to test without success. Please help. Thanks. Can reach
> me on this site or email to v82j-tristan@yahoo.com

Have you plugged in the 2x2 ATX 12V power plug ? Without it
the processor doesn't get any power, but the fans will still
spin.

Also, your board has Voice POST. Look in the lower right hand
corner of the board (as depicted in the motherboard picture
in the manual), and there is an 8 pin DIP with a paper label
on it. To the right of that chip is another Winbond chip.
The eight pin DIP contains error messages, and you can listen
to them by plugging amplified speakers into the lime colored
Lineout jack on the back of the computer. Section 3.3 in the
manual "Asus POST Reporter" lists the possible error messages.

As long as the green LED lights on the motherboard, and the
motherboard manages to generate a reset pulse, the Voice
POST should be able to deliver error messages. If the reset
switch gets stuck, for example, it would be stopped in its
tracks. The Voice POST can even deliver an error message, if
there is no CPU, no memory DIMM, and no video card plugged
into the motherboard. Voice POST is autonomous and works by
itself.

HTH,
Paul

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

I built my friend's comp. Same motherboard but used an Antec TruePower
380. I found out that the Antec powersupplies were incompatible with
the P4P800 so we got him an Enermax and it booted up fine.

v82j-tristan@yahoo.com wrote:
> Newbie. Antec Neopower 480. Corsair DDR400 kit (2 512mb sticks) P4 3.0E
> processor, Barracuda 7200.7 SATA hd hooked up to SATA1 site (non-raid) on
> P4P800E dlxe mb. Samsung CD-RW/DVD SM-308 with aux cord connected or not, no
> difference. I have connected the CD ROM to the IDE Pri socket and the IDE
> 2nd socket without effect. IBM LCD monitor using a VGA connector. I haven't
> changed any of the default jumper settings on the mb, which I'm hoping is
> the problem. I read the posts about the bad memory socket, so I have gone to
> one stick of memory to test without success. Please help. Thanks. Can reach
> me on this site or email to v82j-tristan@yahoo.com

> http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
> ---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---

Can you elaborate on what the incompatibility turned out to be and what it
did to the operation of the system?
--
Ed Needham