SATA drivers?...need help plez

JF

This is a fresh install of Windows XP on new system with SP1 to be
added later after the xp install. MOBO is P4C800E deluxe. I have 2
80GB maxtor SATA HDDs 7200rpm. Not using Promise or Raid. Do I need to
load SATA drivers during install? I've heard no drivers are need if
not using Promise or Raid. If drivers are needed which ones are they?
D:\Drivers\Promise\378ATA ? FastTrak 378 Driver? IAA? Inf?

To format the HD, should I use the Maxblast software or the XP CD?

I installed a SATA DVD writer yesterday on my newly built system, based on
P4C800-E Dlx. I didn't need to install any driver, it was recognized
correctly.

Is it was you were asking?

Ray.

"jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is a fresh install of Windows XP on new system with SP1 to be
> added later after the xp install. MOBO is P4C800E deluxe. I have 2
> 80GB maxtor SATA HDDs 7200rpm. Not using Promise or Raid. Do I need to
> load SATA drivers during install? I've heard no drivers are need if
> not using Promise or Raid. If drivers are needed which ones are they?
> D:\Drivers\Promise\378ATA ? FastTrak 378 Driver? IAA? Inf?
>
> To format the HD, should I use the Maxblast software or the XP CD?

If you're using the SATA controllers on the board (not the Promise ones),
and you're not using RAID, you don't need to install any additional drivers.
(No "F6" stuff.)

The XP CD can partition and format the drive. One limitation is that the
utility included with XP won't allow you to format a partition larger than
32 MB as FAT32. (I wanted one 100 GB FAT32 partition in my Raid 0 array, so
I used Partition Magic 8.0 to format that partition. I'd have preferred
NTFS, but I wanted to save one partition as writable by some DOS-based
utilities, like Ghost.)

The IAA (Intel Application Accelerator) drivers are only useful if you're
using the onboard SATA controllers in Raid 0 or 1. The older versions of the
IAA drivers aren't for RAID, but they do not support the Intel 975 chipset
in your P4C800.

Bob Knowlden

Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is a fresh install of Windows XP on new system with SP1 to be
> added later after the xp install. MOBO is P4C800E deluxe. I have 2
> 80GB maxtor SATA HDDs 7200rpm. Not using Promise or Raid. Do I need to
> load SATA drivers during install? I've heard no drivers are need if
> not using Promise or Raid. If drivers are needed which ones are they?
> D:\Drivers\Promise\378ATA ? FastTrak 378 Driver? IAA? Inf?
>
> To format the HD, should I use the Maxblast software or the XP CD?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> This is a fresh install of Windows XP on new system with SP1 to be
> added later after the xp install. MOBO is P4C800E deluxe. I have 2
> 80GB maxtor SATA HDDs 7200rpm. Not using Promise or Raid. Do I need to
> load SATA drivers during install?

No. Add the latest Intel chipset drivers later.

> I've heard no drivers are need if
> not using Promise or Raid. If drivers are needed which ones are they?
> D:\Drivers\Promise\378ATA ? FastTrak 378 Driver? IAA? Inf?
>
> To format the HD, should I use the Maxblast software or the XP CD?

XP CD.

Sorry to be redundant if this has been suggested, but in addition to not
needing any special drivers with that mobo for SATA Intel Controller and
Non-RAID, it is necessary to go into the BIOS and do the following:
--In the IDE Configuration, set OnBoard IDE Operate Mode to [Enhanced
Mode]
--Enhanced Mode Support On to [S-ATA]
--Configure S-ATA as RAID to [NO]
--Serial ATA BOOTROM to [enabled]

MikeSp
"george" <notme@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > This is a fresh install of Windows XP on new system with SP1 to be
> > added later after the xp install. MOBO is P4C800E deluxe. I have 2
> > 80GB maxtor SATA HDDs 7200rpm. Not using Promise or Raid. Do I need to
> > load SATA drivers during install?
>
> No. Add the latest Intel chipset drivers later.
>
> > I've heard no drivers are need if
> > not using Promise or Raid. If drivers are needed which ones are they?
> > D:\Drivers\Promise\378ATA ? FastTrak 378 Driver? IAA? Inf?
> >
> > To format the HD, should I use the Maxblast software or the XP CD?
>
> XP CD.

JF

"george" <notme@nothere.com> wrote in message news:<JKgPc.369034$Gx4.205133@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> "jf" <jfclay@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > This is a fresh install of Windows XP on new system with SP1 to be
> > added later after the xp install. MOBO is P4C800E deluxe. I have 2
> > 80GB maxtor SATA HDDs 7200rpm. Not using Promise or Raid. Do I need to
> > load SATA drivers during install?
>
> No. Add the latest Intel chipset drivers later.
>
> > I've heard no drivers are need if
> > not using Promise or Raid. If drivers are needed which ones are they?
> > D:\Drivers\Promise\378ATA ? FastTrak 378 Driver? IAA? Inf?
> >
> > To format the HD, should I use the Maxblast software or the XP CD?
>
> XP CD.

Here's the latest Intel Chipset Update
INF Update Utility [INFINST.EXE] (1518KB) 6.0.1.1002

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=1043
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=44&strTypes=DRV%2CARC%2CUTL&ProductID=1043&OSFullName=Windows*+XP+Professional&submit=Go%21
ftp://aiedownload.intel.com/df-support/7484/ENG/readme.txt