Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Disable on-board sound (to install Creative SoundBlaster b..

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 1, 2004 11:59:50 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I'm gettin ready to install an Audigy 2ZS in my P4b533e mobo and need to
disable the onboard sound. I can't find any BIOS settings to do this. How is
it acconplished?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2004 1:43:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4b533-e/e11...

Page 4-25, Onboard AC97 Audio Controller. (Choose to disable it.)

(If you don't wish to download the manual, it's under the Advanced settings
area, I/O Device Configuration at the bottom left of the screen.)

HTH.

Bob Knowlden

Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

"news.charter.net" <wdb3@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:10gr4hh2it66ved@corp.supernews.com...
> I'm gettin ready to install an Audigy 2ZS in my P4b533e mobo and need to
> disable the onboard sound. I can't find any BIOS settings to do this. How
is
> it acconplished?
>
>
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2004 1:45:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

Thanks Bob for pointing me a level deeper in the BIOS setup menus.

Now that I've looked at the I/O Device Configuration menu (where "Onboard
AC97 Audio Controller" can be disabled), I also find a PCI Configuration
menu where "Onboard PCI Audio Controller" can be disabled.

Should I disable both or only one of these "audio" type settings?


"Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:2n5kj1Fsjii0U1@uni-berlin.de...
> http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4b533-e/e11...
>
> Page 4-25, Onboard AC97 Audio Controller. (Choose to disable it.)
>
> (If you don't wish to download the manual, it's under the Advanced
settings
> area, I/O Device Configuration at the bottom left of the screen.)
>
> HTH.
>
> Bob Knowlden
>
> Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
>
> "news.charter.net" <wdb3@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> news:10gr4hh2it66ved@corp.supernews.com...
> > I'm gettin ready to install an Audigy 2ZS in my P4b533e mobo and need to
> > disable the onboard sound. I can't find any BIOS settings to do this.
How
> is
> > it acconplished?
> >
> >
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2004 3:10:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

I'd start with the I/O config, and see if the PCI controller is
automatically grayed out when you disbale the AC97 device. Of course, for
all I know, it'd work best the other way 'round.

(My own board is a P4P800. I don't recall such a setting in the PCI section,
and the onboard sound and NIC are under "integrated devices", if memory
serves. I'm using an Audigy 2 rather than the onboard audio. I believe that
it sounds better, besides saving some CPU overhead.)

Bob Kn.

"news.charter.net" <wdb3@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
news:10graoi96vksvfd@corp.supernews.com...
> Thanks Bob for pointing me a level deeper in the BIOS setup menus.
>
> Now that I've looked at the I/O Device Configuration menu (where "Onboard
> AC97 Audio Controller" can be disabled), I also find a PCI Configuration
> menu where "Onboard PCI Audio Controller" can be disabled.
>
> Should I disable both or only one of these "audio" type settings?
>
>
(snip)
August 2, 2004 8:00:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

In article <2n5pkdFt1isbU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Bob Knowlden"
<nkbob@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'd start with the I/O config, and see if the PCI controller is
> automatically grayed out when you disbale the AC97 device. Of course, for
> all I know, it'd work best the other way 'round.
>
> (My own board is a P4P800. I don't recall such a setting in the PCI section,
> and the onboard sound and NIC are under "integrated devices", if memory
> serves. I'm using an Audigy 2 rather than the onboard audio. I believe that
> it sounds better, besides saving some CPU overhead.)
>
> Bob Kn.

That BIOS is a little strange looking.

The CMI8738 is optional, so would exist on an Audio version of the
board. If the CMI8738 isn't on the board, then you wouldn't have
to worry about it. If it is on the board, disable it.

The Southbridge has an AC97 interface (the AClink), but without a
CODEC for it to talk to, or room for some kind of riser card with
an AC97 or MC97 interface, I don't see the point of being able to
enable/disable the AC97. Disabling it shouldn't hurt anything.

Paul

>
> "news.charter.net" <wdb3@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
> news:10graoi96vksvfd@corp.supernews.com...
> > Thanks Bob for pointing me a level deeper in the BIOS setup menus.
> >
> > Now that I've looked at the I/O Device Configuration menu (where "Onboard
> > AC97 Audio Controller" can be disabled), I also find a PCI Configuration
> > menu where "Onboard PCI Audio Controller" can be disabled.
> >
> > Should I disable both or only one of these "audio" type settings?
> >
> >
> (snip)
!