Disable on-board sound (to install Creative SoundBlaster b..

I'm gettin ready to install an Audigy 2ZS in my P4b533e mobo and need to
disable the onboard sound. I can't find any BIOS settings to do this. How is
it acconplished?
4 answers Last reply
More about disable board sound install creative soundblaster

    http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4b533-e/e1149_p4b533-e.pdf

    Page 4-25, Onboard AC97 Audio Controller. (Choose to disable it.)

    (If you don't wish to download the manual, it's under the Advanced settings
    area, I/O Device Configuration at the bottom left of the screen.)

    HTH.

    Bob Knowlden

    Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.

    "news.charter.net" <wdb3@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > I'm gettin ready to install an Audigy 2ZS in my P4b533e mobo and need to
    > disable the onboard sound. I can't find any BIOS settings to do this. How
    is
    > it acconplished?

    Thanks Bob for pointing me a level deeper in the BIOS setup menus.

    Now that I've looked at the I/O Device Configuration menu (where "Onboard
    AC97 Audio Controller" can be disabled), I also find a PCI Configuration
    menu where "Onboard PCI Audio Controller" can be disabled.

    Should I disable both or only one of these "audio" type settings?

    "Bob Knowlden" <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > http://www.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/sock478/p4b533-e/e1149_p4b533-e.pdf
    >
    > Page 4-25, Onboard AC97 Audio Controller. (Choose to disable it.)
    >
    > (If you don't wish to download the manual, it's under the Advanced
    settings
    > area, I/O Device Configuration at the bottom left of the screen.)
    >
    > HTH.
    >
    > Bob Knowlden
    >
    > Address may be altered. Replace nkbob with bobkn.
    >
    > "news.charter.net" <wdb3@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm gettin ready to install an Audigy 2ZS in my P4b533e mobo and need to
    > > disable the onboard sound. I can't find any BIOS settings to do this.
    How
    > is
    > > it acconplished?

    I'd start with the I/O config, and see if the PCI controller is
    automatically grayed out when you disbale the AC97 device. Of course, for
    all I know, it'd work best the other way 'round.

    (My own board is a P4P800. I don't recall such a setting in the PCI section,
    and the onboard sound and NIC are under "integrated devices", if memory
    serves. I'm using an Audigy 2 rather than the onboard audio. I believe that
    it sounds better, besides saving some CPU overhead.)

    > Thanks Bob for pointing me a level deeper in the BIOS setup menus.
    >
    > Now that I've looked at the I/O Device Configuration menu (where "Onboard
    > AC97 Audio Controller" can be disabled), I also find a PCI Configuration
    > menu where "Onboard PCI Audio Controller" can be disabled.
    >
    > Should I disable both or only one of these "audio" type settings?

    (snip)

    In article <2n5pkdFt1isbU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Bob Knowlden"
    <nkbob@comcast.net> wrote:

    > I'd start with the I/O config, and see if the PCI controller is
    > automatically grayed out when you disbale the AC97 device. Of course, for
    > all I know, it'd work best the other way 'round.
    >
    > (My own board is a P4P800. I don't recall such a setting in the PCI section,
    > and the onboard sound and NIC are under "integrated devices", if memory
    > serves. I'm using an Audigy 2 rather than the onboard audio. I believe that
    > it sounds better, besides saving some CPU overhead.)
    >
    > Bob Kn.

    That BIOS is a little strange looking.

    The CMI8738 is optional, so would exist on an Audio version of the
    board. If the CMI8738 isn't on the board, then you wouldn't have
    to worry about it. If it is on the board, disable it.

    The Southbridge has an AC97 interface (the AClink), but without a
    CODEC for it to talk to, or room for some kind of riser card with
    an AC97 or MC97 interface, I don't see the point of being able to
    enable/disable the AC97. Disabling it shouldn't hurt anything.

    Paul

    > "news.charter.net" <wdb3@myrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks Bob for pointing me a level deeper in the BIOS setup menus.
    > >
    > > Now that I've looked at the I/O Device Configuration menu (where "Onboard
    > > AC97 Audio Controller" can be disabled), I also find a PCI Configuration
    > > menu where "Onboard PCI Audio Controller" can be disabled.
    > >
    > > Should I disable both or only one of these "audio" type settings?
    > >

    > (snip)

Asus BIOS Creative Motherboards