P4P800S Problem...

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

I have a machine with a P4P800S, BIOS Rev 1005. The problem I am
having is that when I select the power on from mouse, or even power on
via the keyboard, it does not work!

On another system with a gigabyte motherboard, where the power on by
mouse feature works, I notice that the mouse is powered up - but on
the ASUS P4P800S, the mouse is NOT powered.

Has anyone else experienced this??? Is there a fix? A "beta" bios
perhaps??

All help greaatly appreciated.

Just a thought: does the +5VSB line on your power supply supports at least
1A? I think it's one of the requirement for that feature.

Ray.

"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I have a machine with a P4P800S, BIOS Rev 1005. The problem I am
> having is that when I select the power on from mouse, or even power on
> via the keyboard, it does not work!
>
> On another system with a gigabyte motherboard, where the power on by
> mouse feature works, I notice that the mouse is powered up - but on
> the ASUS P4P800S, the mouse is NOT powered.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this??? Is there a fix? A "beta" bios
> perhaps??
>
> All help greaatly appreciated.

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:34:32 -0400, "povmec"
<raymond.hill@NOSPAMvideotron.ca> wrote:

>Just a thought: does the +5VSB line on your power supply supports at least
>1A? I think it's one of the requirement for that feature.

Never heard of that one before. How do you check?? Is the rating
printed on the Power Supply??

>Ray.
>
>"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> I have a machine with a P4P800S, BIOS Rev 1005. The problem I am
>> having is that when I select the power on from mouse, or even power on
>> via the keyboard, it does not work!
>>
>> On another system with a gigabyte motherboard, where the power on by
>> mouse feature works, I notice that the mouse is powered up - but on
>> the ASUS P4P800S, the mouse is NOT powered.
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this??? Is there a fix? A "beta" bios
>> perhaps??
>>
>> All help greaatly appreciated.

I guess it's on your power supply. What is the brand and model?

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:34:32 -0400, "povmec"
> <raymond.hill@NOSPAMvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
> >Just a thought: does the +5VSB line on your power supply supports at
least
> >1A? I think it's one of the requirement for that feature.
> >

> Never heard of that one before. How do you check?? Is the rating
> printed on the Power Supply??
>

> >Ray.
> >
> >"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> >> I have a machine with a P4P800S, BIOS Rev 1005. The problem I am
> >> having is that when I select the power on from mouse, or even power on
> >> via the keyboard, it does not work!
> >>
> >> On another system with a gigabyte motherboard, where the power on by
> >> mouse feature works, I notice that the mouse is powered up - but on
> >> the ASUS P4P800S, the mouse is NOT powered.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else experienced this??? Is there a fix? A "beta" bios
> >> perhaps??
> >>
> >> All help greaatly appreciated.

Paul

Splendid

In article <410fcc82.143046@news.individual.net>,
CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca (Cloaked) wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:34:32 -0400, "povmec"
> <raymond.hill@NOSPAMvideotron.ca> wrote:
>
> >Just a thought: does the +5VSB line on your power supply supports at least
> >1A? I think it's one of the requirement for that feature.
> >

> Never heard of that one before. How do you check?? Is the rating
> printed on the Power Supply??

The rating is usually printed on the label on the side of the PSU.

There are five "power option" headers on your board. They are KBPWR1,
USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, and USBPW78. Each of these is a three pin
header. In one position, the jumper selects operation from +5V. Since
+5V only runs while the computer is running, it is not a good
voltage to use to wake the computer. The other setting is +5VSB.
The +5VSB runs as long as the switch on the back of the computer is
in the ON position, and +5VSB is an excellent choice for powering
a mouse or keyboard that is used to wake the computer. Move the
jumper for the header that powers the "wake" device, and you may have
better luck.

HTH,
Paul

> >Ray.
> >
> >"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> >> I have a machine with a P4P800S, BIOS Rev 1005. The problem I am
> >> having is that when I select the power on from mouse, or even power on
> >> via the keyboard, it does not work!
> >>
> >> On another system with a gigabyte motherboard, where the power on by
> >> mouse feature works, I notice that the mouse is powered up - but on
> >> the ASUS P4P800S, the mouse is NOT powered.
> >>
> >> Has anyone else experienced this??? Is there a fix? A "beta" bios
> >> perhaps??
> >>
> >> All help greaatly appreciated.

ChrisH

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:51:29 GMT, CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca
(Cloaked) wrote:

>I have a machine with a P4P800S, BIOS Rev 1005. The problem I am
>having is that when I select the power on from mouse, or even power on
>via the keyboard, it does not work!
>
>On another system with a gigabyte motherboard, where the power on by
>mouse feature works, I notice that the mouse is powered up - but on
>the ASUS P4P800S, the mouse is NOT powered.
>
>Has anyone else experienced this??? Is there a fix? A "beta" bios
>perhaps??
>
>All help greaatly appreciated.

Do you have 'Instant Music' enabled in the BIOS? That prevents power
on via mouse or keyboard working.

ChrisH

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

I double checked this, and it is disabled.

Thanks

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 18:02:07 +0100, chrish@easynet.co.uk (ChrisH)
wrote:

>On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 14:51:29 GMT, CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca
>(Cloaked) wrote:
>
>>I have a machine with a P4P800S, BIOS Rev 1005. The problem I am
>>having is that when I select the power on from mouse, or even power on
>>via the keyboard, it does not work!
>>
>>On another system with a gigabyte motherboard, where the power on by
>>mouse feature works, I notice that the mouse is powered up - but on
>>the ASUS P4P800S, the mouse is NOT powered.
>>
>>Has anyone else experienced this??? Is there a fix? A "beta" bios
>>perhaps??
>>
>>All help greaatly appreciated.
>
>Do you have 'Instant Music' enabled in the BIOS? That prevents power
>on via mouse or keyboard working.
>
>ChrisH

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

Thank you Paul, that was it!

I wonder what ASUS was thinking???? What ever happened to "JUMPER
FREE" configuration!!! :(

I would never have dreamed that a NEW motherboard of this generation
would have had jumpers that needed to be manually set.

Thanks to all who responded.

On Tue, 03 Aug 2004 16:08:47 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>In article <410fcc82.143046@news.individual.net>,
>CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca (Cloaked) wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 11:34:32 -0400, "povmec"
>> <raymond.hill@NOSPAMvideotron.ca> wrote:
>>
>> >Just a thought: does the +5VSB line on your power supply supports at least
>> >1A? I think it's one of the requirement for that feature.
>> >

>> Never heard of that one before. How do you check?? Is the rating
>> printed on the Power Supply??
>
>The rating is usually printed on the label on the side of the PSU.
>
>There are five "power option" headers on your board. They are KBPWR1,
>USBPW12, USBPW34, USBPW56, and USBPW78. Each of these is a three pin
>header. In one position, the jumper selects operation from +5V. Since
>+5V only runs while the computer is running, it is not a good
>voltage to use to wake the computer. The other setting is +5VSB.
>The +5VSB runs as long as the switch on the back of the computer is
>in the ON position, and +5VSB is an excellent choice for powering
>a mouse or keyboard that is used to wake the computer. Move the
>jumper for the header that powers the "wake" device, and you may have
>better luck.
>
>HTH,
> Paul
>

>> >Ray.
>> >
>> >"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message

Your bios version is way out of date, 1005 is the bios version that
originally came with the system, I have the same board P4P800 running bios
version 1016.002
Try updating your bios first

"Cloaked" <CloakedRun2001@NOSAPM.yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> I have a machine with a P4P800S, BIOS Rev 1005. The problem I am
> having is that when I select the power on from mouse, or even power on
> via the keyboard, it does not work!
>
> On another system with a gigabyte motherboard, where the power on by
> mouse feature works, I notice that the mouse is powered up - but on
> the ASUS P4P800S, the mouse is NOT powered.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this??? Is there a fix? A "beta" bios
> perhaps??
>
> All help greaatly appreciated.

Cloaked

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2003

Thanks, but the P4P800 is different from the P4P800S. The currently
"released" bios for the P4P800S is 1005 acording to the ASUS web site.