Slow performance with A7N8X-E Deluxe

Hi, all

I'm having a problem with my computer and am I need of some help. I
have recently changed over to the above board from an Epox 8kha+. My
old board had the capasitor leak problem of the board made 2-3 years
ago, and was getting slow doing simple tasks.

So I install the new A7N8X-E Deluxe. I'm no noobie at computer stuff
but this is my fist mobo install. After I hook everything back up, I
format the HD and re-install windows xp home. ( there were no post
messages or beeps or anything like that so I assumed I did it right.)
The mem test at the start passed and is running at 133 which is
correct for pc2100 if I'm not mistaken. I run wcpuid (running a 2400xp
266fsb) and I get Internal clock of 1996.97 (it was 2004 with the old
mobo), but I don't think that's a big issue yet. The thing that I have
taken note of is the system clock speed it reads 133. Is this right?
The system bus speed reads 266.26, with the 2400xp and the pc2100? Is
the memory my bottle neck?

Well here's the part that's bugging me it seems some programs are
starting out then as they are loading seem to freeze from 3-5 min.
Then they will all of a sudden start again. It to over 10 min just to
install my sound drivers. It has also done this when I tried to run my
PC mark. I stopped it because I had to go to work and wanted to DL 3d
mark so I can benchmark my changed system. Could there be something in
the Bios I need to change? The only thing I have done other than that
is not install the USB 2.0 Drives (I haven't had the time to read how
to do it yet) and Disabled the Nvida lan port.

Also I have run Norton winDr, and Speed disk to see if that was the
problem, but it still remains.

Any ideas? Do you need any more info?

Thanks
Scott

More Info

CPU: 2400Xp 266 fsb
Mobo: A7N8X-E Deluxe
Memory: Crucial Part Number: CT6464Z265
512MB
DDR PC2100 o CL=2.5 o Unbuffered o Non-parity o DDR266 o 2.5V o 64Meg
x 64
Video Card. Nvidia: GeForce 4200 Ti
Sound Card: Audigy value
DVD-RW: Lite-On LDW-451S
CDR: Lite-On 52246s
IntelliMouse 3.0
Logitech Elite keyboard.

"SonicMonkey" <SonicMonkey@not.net> wrote in message
> Hi, all
snip>
> Well here's the part that's bugging me it seems some programs are
> starting out then as they are loading seem to freeze from 3-5 min.
> Then they will all of a sudden start again. It to over 10 min just to
> install my sound drivers. It has also done this when I tried to run my
> PC mark. I stopped it because I had to go to work and wanted to DL 3d
> mark so I can benchmark my changed system.
snip

Hi Scott
Have you installed the chipset drivers?
I used the latest Nforce ones from Nvidia instead of the Asus ones
on the disk... In particular, the ide drivers. Check in device manager
to see what mode your hard drive(s) is listed.
Your memory is in sync with your cpu if it is at 133, = 266ddr...
cheers
Ted

My Controlers are listed as .

nvida nfoces2 Ide
driver 6.1.2600.0

Primary ide
Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
Auto
tranfer mode Ultra DMA 5

Same thing ( as primary) for the seconday IDE, which are the Cd
drives I assume.

Could there be a problem between the 2 drivers?

> My Controlers are listed as .
>
> nvida nfoces2 Ide
> driver 6.1.2600.0
>
> Primary ide
> Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
> Auto
> tranfer mode Ultra DMA 5
>
> Same thing ( as primary) for the seconday IDE, which are the Cd
> drives I assume.
>
> Could there be a problem between the 2 drivers?

Just as a note here, Check the secondary ide and make sure that it's not
lock'd into PIO mode ONLY for both drives (Windows tends to do that)..

I would probably question the CPU temps first, If they are good then I might
run memtest and you "might" need to adjust the spec of the ram some.

the 133 fsb sounds correct to me but I am just a troll here ;)

CPU temps seem to be normal 45-48 C< I have a prity god cooling set up
(I have never had a temp above 50C) Both Drives arein the DMA modes.
It's almost like its sending the shots form the ram in bursts. Like it
loads up the ram then fires, but only on some programs

> CPU temps seem to be normal 45-48 C< I have a prity god cooling set up
> (I have never had a temp above 50C) Both Drives arein the DMA modes.
> It's almost like its sending the shots form the ram in bursts. Like it
> loads up the ram then fires, but only on some programs

I'd be tempted to run memtest 86 then.. run it for a good long time, maybee
make sure it gets through a good 10/15 passes.

Now my A7N8X-Delux has a problem too, but I THINK that's down to my video
card (or more like the windows drivers).. If I am in say warcraft 3, and I
alt-tab from windows to game too many times then the computer will lock up.
But if memtest 86 passes then I am stuck ;)

"SonicMonkey" <SonicMonkey@not.net> wrote in message
> My Controlers are listed as .
>
> nvida nfoces2 Ide
> driver 6.1.2600.0
>
> Primary ide
> Standard IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
> Auto
> tranfer mode Ultra DMA 5
>
> Same thing ( as primary) for the seconday IDE, which are the Cd
> drives I assume.
>
> Could there be a problem between the 2 drivers?

Try the Nforce2 drivers from Nvidia, like I suggested.
I use them and they work a treat... I don't use the Sound
card on board and this driver set lets you install only the components
that you want, instead of the lot, like some others! Grrr...
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_4.27

good luck and I hth
Cheers
Ted

Thanks guys,

I'm still having the problem but the new drivers did make an
improvement. I tried running fraps with diablo 2 and It was stuck at
25 fps for a minute or two then bumped back up to my normal fps of
70+. I'm going to run mem test later on tonight, maybe my memory got
damaged when my old mobo went Chernobyl on me.

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 00:39:10 GMT, "texterted"