Dan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi there,
I have just had a popup from microsoft saying I am low on
virtual memory? My Pc has been noticably slow of late.
Does anyone know how I can give it a bit of a boost? I am
on xp, the pc is from Time bought in late 2001. Don't
know the bytes or whatever they are but it should be
reasonabley powerful??! Anyway will be extremely grateful
if anyone could help.
Thanks
Dan

RIght-click on My Computer, go to Properties-->Advanced--
>Performance Settings. Click Change Virtual Memory in the
Advanced tab, and change the values before clicking Set.
The lower limit should be half the size of your physical
RAM, and the upper limit should be double or triple the
size (e.g. I have 512mb of RAM, and my lower limit is set
at 256mb, higher limit at 1536mb). That should be plenty.
An actual memory upgrade would help as well (I'm guessing
you've got 128/256mb at the moment), but you should see an
improvement from this.

Hope that helps,
Alun

"Dan" <dabracebridge@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>I have just had a popup from microsoft saying I am low on
>virtual memory? My Pc has been noticably slow of late.
>Does anyone know how I can give it a bit of a boost? I am
>on xp, the pc is from Time bought in late 2001. Don't
>know the bytes or whatever they are but it should be
>reasonabley powerful??! Anyway will be extremely grateful
>if anyone could help.
>Thanks
>Dan

See MVP Alex Nichol's article on virtual memory in Windows XP at
http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--