windows xp boot up problems with new Motherboard

i just upgraded my motherboard to a msi k7n2 delta, i
only have a 800mhz amd duron, 128mb ddr ram, 120 gig
hardrive, and a 32mb ati ragepro 128 as i am shortly due
for an upgrade step by step.
i have set the switches to 100mhz fsb on my mobo like msi
support told me, but when windows starts up it says
"start in safe mode" "start in normal mode" etc which it
use to do before on my old motherboard (i can sort this
out easily) but when i click either of the options, the
screen goes black then hangs for a moment and then
restarts my computer, i can not load windows.
msi told me that it was a software problem and to contact
microsoft.
please could someone help me out here?
thanks alot

Ryan

If you change the motherboard, unless the new chipset is identical to the
old, you must perform a Repair Installation:

Cari
www.coribright.com

"Ryan Reed" <psychoticboy_16@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>i just upgraded my motherboard to a msi k7n2 delta, i
> only have a 800mhz amd duron, 128mb ddr ram, 120 gig
> hardrive, and a 32mb ati ragepro 128 as i am shortly due
> for an upgrade step by step.
> i have set the switches to 100mhz fsb on my mobo like msi
> support told me, but when windows starts up it says
> "start in safe mode" "start in normal mode" etc which it
> use to do before on my old motherboard (i can sort this
> out easily) but when i click either of the options, the
> screen goes black then hangs for a moment and then
> restarts my computer, i can not load windows.
> msi told me that it was a software problem and to contact
> microsoft.
> please could someone help me out here?
> thanks alot
>
> Ryan

and then it will deffinately work?wow thankyou very
much :)

ok and later on if i change my cpu to a 3.2 and change
the MOBO fsb settings will i also nee to do an os repair?

Yes.

--
Just my 2¢ worth
Jeff

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

> >If you change the motherboard, unless the new chipset is
> identical to the
> >old, you must perform a Repair Installation:

> and then it will deffinately work?wow thankyou very
> much :)

It *will* work. However you may not be entirely happy with
the results. I did a repair installation after moving from a
P III to a P IV mobo. All my data was intact and all my
installed software was (seemingly) installed. I had a very
bizarre folder structure under "C:\Documents and Settings"
however but I could live with that. A more serious problem
was the installed software. A lot of it didn't make the
transition "gracefully". It wouldn't work right or at all
and often couldn't be uninstalled by ordinary means. This
was not Microsoft's fault of course and I must add that my
installation of Office XP worked flawlessly after the
changeover.

After about two weeks of screwing around with this I backed
up all my data to CD, repartitioned and reformatted the hard
drive, and installed WinXP clean. It went off perfectly.

I did have to spend about two days doing the MS hotfixes and
upgrades and reinstalling my third-party software but I
guess that was No Bad Thing because it allowed me to get rid
of a lot of stuff I didn't really use anyhow.

YMMV.

--
Bob
Kanyak's Doghouse

Probably not.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

"Ryan Reed" <psychoticboy_16@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> ok and later on if i change my cpu to a 3.2 and change
> the MOBO fsb settings will i also nee to do an os repair?

TRENDING THREADS