Half of Memory Module Working

Installed 512 memory module and only 256 is showing as
being available. OS is Win XP Pro. What's up?

Thanks, Flintstone
3 answers Last reply
More about half memory module working

    Assuming the BIOS sees 512 Mb, Windows should too, max in
    XP is 4Gb (I believe).

    Look in Boot.ini (can view from Start, Run, MSCONFIG,
    Boot.Ini tab), see if there's a maxmem=256 statement.
    If so you can remove it. Be VERY careful when editing
    Boot.Ini. You can edit it with Notepad, it's a
    hidden/system file in the root directory of your boot
    drive.

    Good Luck !

    Flintstone wrote:
    > Installed 512 memory module and only 256 is showing as
    > being available. OS is Win XP Pro. What's up?

    Use the memory selector at www.crucial.com , armed with the model name and
    number of your computer or motherboard. The memory controller can only
    utilize half the RAM on the module.

    You have one of the older motherboards that were
    classified as able to use 100/133 speed memory, which is
    incompatible with most of the new 133 speed memory. When
    installed will only read half of the normal value of the
    memory. It will not work if this is the new style of
    memory module. The memory you bought is for the newer
    motherboards that use duel rate memory. I have run into
    the same problem with 64,128.256 memory modules about a
    year ago when the change in manufacturing was made. All
    that will read properly is the 100 speed or an older 133
    module. Check to see what is the largest single module
    and the most ram your motherboard can use.
    When advertised the system can use ether 100 or 133 is
    correct up until the new style of module was changed.
    Save the chip you have and use in another newer comp. the
    512 MB module is not defective it is just not to be used
    in your present machine,

Hardware Memory Microsoft Windows XP