PPC4150, Nokia 6310i, GPRS Vodafone UK

June 14, 2004 5:02:56 AM

Hi,
I'm pulling my hear out trying to use my PPC to browse the internet
through my Nokia bluetooth connection.

I have a Vodafone pay monthly account with GPRS enabled.

I can browse the web from the phone itself so I am confident my GPRS
is working.

My supplier says the APN(?) is configured.

I have the string 'cdgcont=1,"ip","internet' in the Advacned settings.
I'm dialing out to '*99#', have tried various connection speeds
ie.57600 etc.
I've also tried '*99***1#'.

The PPC and phone are paired and I can see the phone saying 'making
connection'. A couple of seconds later, the PPC comes back with the
message 'Cannot connect for an unknown reason...'.

If I remove the cdgont string, the phone then says 'making GRPS
connection'. A couple of seconds later the phone displays 'subscribe
to GPRS first'.

I can't figure it out!

Please help!!!

Al.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 3:26:46 PM

In the Advanced string, where you write internet, try to put the full APN.

--
Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
http://www.pocketpcfreak.com

"Al" <key130@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm pulling my hear out trying to use my PPC to browse the internet
> through my Nokia bluetooth connection.
>
> I have a Vodafone pay monthly account with GPRS enabled.
>
> I can browse the web from the phone itself so I am confident my GPRS
> is working.
>
> My supplier says the APN(?) is configured.
>
> I have the string 'cdgcont=1,"ip","internet' in the Advacned settings.
> I'm dialing out to '*99#', have tried various connection speeds
> ie.57600 etc.
> I've also tried '*99***1#'.
>
> The PPC and phone are paired and I can see the phone saying 'making
> connection'. A couple of seconds later, the PPC comes back with the
> message 'Cannot connect for an unknown reason...'.
>
> If I remove the cdgont string, the phone then says 'making GRPS
> connection'. A couple of seconds later the phone displays 'subscribe
> to GPRS first'.
>
> I can't figure it out!
>
> Please help!!!
>
> Al.
June 14, 2004 4:56:54 PM

Okay, so I haven't tried the APN name - do I put it like this - "ip",
"internet", "xxxx" ?

I managed to get the thing working myself after playing around howeer
it's not the best solution.

On the settings for your particular dial up, go to 'advanced' (where
you enter the 'Extra dial-strings'. Press the 'Port settings' tab at
the bottom of the screen. Check 'Enter dialing commands manually'.
Press 'ok' then 'finish'.

Now, select and hold down on the connection name and select 'connect'.
A couple of seconds later, a screen will come up where you can
manually enter modem commands.

I find if I enter 'atdt *99#' then press the 'ok' in the top right of
thre screen, the GPRS connection is made.

I don't even have to have the 'cdgcon...' string entered.

Once you have the method above set up, you can go to your Internet
Explorer application. Trying to connect to a page will also bring up
the manual dial screen.

Not the pretiest solution I know, but I'm proud of having found a work
around!!

I'd actually like it to work properly though!

Appreciate if any one gets it to work to post back on here.

Regards,

Al.
June 14, 2004 11:59:48 PM

A1,

I had this problem using my smartphone connection with my ipaq 2210, the
bluetooth connection would never hold.

Anyway after many days of frustration I have seemed to have solved my
problem by using the string as you have done.

At the end of my string I had "telstra.internet" (that is the name of my
carrier). I placed this name in the user name on my connection screen and
left password blank. From this point on no problems whatsoever.

Maybe vodaphone UK have something similar.

Hope this helps.

Tony

"Al" <key130@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I'm pulling my hear out trying to use my PPC to browse the internet
> through my Nokia bluetooth connection.
>
> I have a Vodafone pay monthly account with GPRS enabled.
>
> I can browse the web from the phone itself so I am confident my GPRS
> is working.
>
> My supplier says the APN(?) is configured.
>
> I have the string 'cdgcont=1,"ip","internet' in the Advacned settings.
> I'm dialing out to '*99#', have tried various connection speeds
> ie.57600 etc.
> I've also tried '*99***1#'.
>
> The PPC and phone are paired and I can see the phone saying 'making
> connection'. A couple of seconds later, the PPC comes back with the
> message 'Cannot connect for an unknown reason...'.
>
> If I remove the cdgont string, the phone then says 'making GRPS
> connection'. A couple of seconds later the phone displays 'subscribe
> to GPRS first'.
>
> I can't figure it out!
>
> Please help!!!
>
> Al.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:59:49 PM

Yep, telstra.internet is probably your APN...

--

"a beard" <tbeard1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> A1,
>
> I had this problem using my smartphone connection with my ipaq 2210, the
> bluetooth connection would never hold.
>
> Anyway after many days of frustration I have seemed to have solved my
> problem by using the string as you have done.
>
> At the end of my string I had "telstra.internet" (that is the name of my
> carrier). I placed this name in the user name on my connection screen and
> left password blank. From this point on no problems whatsoever.
>
> Maybe vodaphone UK have something similar.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Tony
>

> "Al" <key130@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I'm pulling my hear out trying to use my PPC to browse the internet
> > through my Nokia bluetooth connection.
> >
> > I have a Vodafone pay monthly account with GPRS enabled.
> >
> > I can browse the web from the phone itself so I am confident my GPRS
> > is working.
> >
> > My supplier says the APN(?) is configured.
> >
> > I have the string 'cdgcont=1,"ip","internet' in the Advacned settings.
> > I'm dialing out to '*99#', have tried various connection speeds
> > ie.57600 etc.
> > I've also tried '*99***1#'.
> >
> > The PPC and phone are paired and I can see the phone saying 'making
> > connection'. A couple of seconds later, the PPC comes back with the
> > message 'Cannot connect for an unknown reason...'.
> >
> > If I remove the cdgont string, the phone then says 'making GRPS
> > connection'. A couple of seconds later the phone displays 'subscribe
> > to GPRS first'.
> >
> > I can't figure it out!
> >
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > Al.

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 12:17:44 AM

Gosh, I thought I am the only one with this EXACT problem.

My devices are PPC7650+Nokia7650i+CMNET as GPRS provider(connection number
is also *99# or *99***1#). (I don't know the APN for CMNET though their
service person did say something about APN. Also, I don't know where to
supply APN if I have one).

Any ideas are appreciated!!

"Al" <key130@hotmail.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ
:82dbce6.0406140002.4aae4210@posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> I'm pulling my hear out trying to use my PPC to browse the internet
> through my Nokia bluetooth connection.
>
> I have a Vodafone pay monthly account with GPRS enabled.
>
> I can browse the web from the phone itself so I am confident my GPRS
> is working.
>
> My supplier says the APN(?) is configured.
>
> I have the string 'cdgcont=1,"ip","internet' in the Advacned settings.
> I'm dialing out to '*99#', have tried various connection speeds
> ie.57600 etc.
> I've also tried '*99***1#'.
>
> The PPC and phone are paired and I can see the phone saying 'making
> connection'. A couple of seconds later, the PPC comes back with the
> message 'Cannot connect for an unknown reason...'.
>
> If I remove the cdgont string, the phone then says 'making GRPS
> connection'. A couple of seconds later the phone displays 'subscribe
> to GPRS first'.
>
> I can't figure it out!
>
> Please help!!!
>
> Al.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 12:17:45 AM

Guys,

If you are willing to put some money instead of spending your time, go to
http://www.2kdevelopment.com/connect2internet.html and buy Connect2Internet.
It is a great software, it does all the definitions automatically for you,
and they support today around 150 different operators.

Please, before you spend the money check at
http://www.2kdevelopment.com/network_operators.html if they do support your
specific operator.

It was the best spent $20 I have spent in the last year.

--

"Nonstop passion" <michzhoums@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Gosh, I thought I am the only one with this EXACT problem.
>
> My devices are PPC7650+Nokia7650i+CMNET as GPRS provider(connection number
> is also *99# or *99***1#). (I don't know the APN for CMNET though their
> service person did say something about APN. Also, I don't know where to
> supply APN if I have one).
>
> Any ideas are appreciated!!
>
> "Al" <key130@hotmail.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ
> :82dbce6.0406140002.4aae4210@posting.google.com...
> > Hi,
> > I'm pulling my hear out trying to use my PPC to browse the internet
> > through my Nokia bluetooth connection.
> >
> > I have a Vodafone pay monthly account with GPRS enabled.
> >
> > I can browse the web from the phone itself so I am confident my GPRS
> > is working.
> >
> > My supplier says the APN(?) is configured.
> >
> > I have the string 'cdgcont=1,"ip","internet' in the Advacned settings.
> > I'm dialing out to '*99#', have tried various connection speeds
> > ie.57600 etc.
> > I've also tried '*99***1#'.
> >
> > The PPC and phone are paired and I can see the phone saying 'making
> > connection'. A couple of seconds later, the PPC comes back with the
> > message 'Cannot connect for an unknown reason...'.
> >
> > If I remove the cdgont string, the phone then says 'making GRPS
> > connection'. A couple of seconds later the phone displays 'subscribe
> > to GPRS first'.
> >
> > I can't figure it out!
> >
> > Please help!!!
> >
> > Al.

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 12:25:35 AM

Yes it was, but I still had no luck unless I had it in the username as well.

"Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com>
wrote in message news:%23Ul%23defUEHA.544@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Yep, telstra.internet is probably your APN...
>
> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "a beard" <tbeard1@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > A1,
> >
> > I had this problem using my smartphone connection with my ipaq 2210, the
> > bluetooth connection would never hold.
> >
> > Anyway after many days of frustration I have seemed to have solved my
> > problem by using the string as you have done.
> >
> > At the end of my string I had "telstra.internet" (that is the name of my
> > carrier). I placed this name in the user name on my connection screen
and
> > left password blank. From this point on no problems whatsoever.
> >
> > Maybe vodaphone UK have something similar.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Tony
> >

> > "Al" <key130@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm pulling my hear out trying to use my PPC to browse the internet
> > > through my Nokia bluetooth connection.
> > >
> > > I have a Vodafone pay monthly account with GPRS enabled.
> > >
> > > I can browse the web from the phone itself so I am confident my GPRS
> > > is working.
> > >
> > > My supplier says the APN(?) is configured.
> > >
> > > I have the string 'cdgcont=1,"ip","internet' in the Advacned settings.
> > > I'm dialing out to '*99#', have tried various connection speeds
> > > ie.57600 etc.
> > > I've also tried '*99***1#'.
> > >
> > > The PPC and phone are paired and I can see the phone saying 'making
> > > connection'. A couple of seconds later, the PPC comes back with the
> > > message 'Cannot connect for an unknown reason...'.
> > >
> > > If I remove the cdgont string, the phone then says 'making GRPS
> > > connection'. A couple of seconds later the phone displays 'subscribe
> > > to GPRS first'.
> > >
> > > I can't figure it out!
> > >
> > > Please help!!!
> > >
> > > Al.

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 2:26:51 AM

Thank you for your input. However,I am in China. Can I get confirmation that
the setting in that program will work for me?

I would prefer finding a way to connect successfully using manual steps
before trying out shortcuts.

Appreciate your understanding.

"Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com> д
ÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:u0FdbDhUEHA.2908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Guys,
>
> If you are willing to put some money instead of spending your time, go to
> http://www.2kdevelopment.com/connect2internet.html and buy
Connect2Internet.
> It is a great software, it does all the definitions automatically for you,
> and they support today around 150 different operators.
>
> Please, before you spend the money check at
> http://www.2kdevelopment.com/network_operators.html if they do support
your
> specific operator.
>
> It was the best spent $20 I have spent in the last year.
>
> --
> Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
>

> "Nonstop passion" <michzhoums@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Gosh, I thought I am the only one with this EXACT problem.
> >
> > My devices are PPC7650+Nokia7650i+CMNET as GPRS provider(connection
number
> > is also *99# or *99***1#). (I don't know the APN for CMNET though their
> > service person did say something about APN. Also, I don't know where to
> > supply APN if I have one).
> >
> > Any ideas are appreciated!!
> >
> > "Al" <key130@hotmail.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ
> > :82dbce6.0406140002.4aae4210@posting.google.com...
> > > Hi,
> > > I'm pulling my hear out trying to use my PPC to browse the internet
> > > through my Nokia bluetooth connection.
> > >
> > > I have a Vodafone pay monthly account with GPRS enabled.
> > >
> > > I can browse the web from the phone itself so I am confident my GPRS
> > > is working.
> > >
> > > My supplier says the APN(?) is configured.
> > >
> > > I have the string 'cdgcont=1,"ip","internet' in the Advacned settings.
> > > I'm dialing out to '*99#', have tried various connection speeds
> > > ie.57600 etc.
> > > I've also tried '*99***1#'.
> > >
> > > The PPC and phone are paired and I can see the phone saying 'making
> > > connection'. A couple of seconds later, the PPC comes back with the
> > > message 'Cannot connect for an unknown reason...'.
> > >
> > > If I remove the cdgont string, the phone then says 'making GRPS
> > > connection'. A couple of seconds later the phone displays 'subscribe
> > > to GPRS first'.
> > >
> > > I can't figure it out!
> > >
> > > Please help!!!
> > >
> > > Al.

Anonymous
June 15, 2004 3:33:58 AM

I got my devices working by adding the string described in Al's initial
posting(using cmnet as apn name)

cdgcont=1,"ip","cmnet"

thx for your attention anyway

"Nonstop passion" <michzhoums@hotmail.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ
:uzsC$uhUEHA.3512@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
> Thank you for your input. However,I am in China. Can I get confirmation
that
> the setting in that program will work for me?
>
> I would prefer finding a way to connect successfully using manual steps
> before trying out shortcuts.
>
> Appreciate your understanding.
>

> "Helio Diamant - MS/MVP, Mobile Devices" <helio@nospam.pocketpcfreak.com>
> ÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:u0FdbDhUEHA.2908@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> > Guys,
> >
> > If you are willing to put some money instead of spending your time, go
> > http://www.2kdevelopment.com/connect2internet.html and buy
> Connect2Internet.
> > It is a great software, it does all the definitions automatically for
you,
> > and they support today around 150 different operators.
> >
> > Please, before you spend the money check at
> > http://www.2kdevelopment.com/network_operators.html if they do support
> your
> > specific operator.
> >
> > It was the best spent $20 I have spent in the last year.
> >
> > --
> > Helio Diamant - MS/MVP Mobile Devices
> > http://www.pocketpcfreak.com
> >

> > "Nonstop passion" <michzhoums@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Gosh, I thought I am the only one with this EXACT problem.
> > >
> > > My devices are PPC7650+Nokia7650i+CMNET as GPRS provider(connection
> number
> > > is also *99# or *99***1#). (I don't know the APN for CMNET though
their
> > > service person did say something about APN. Also, I don't know where
> > > supply APN if I have one).
> > >
> > > Any ideas are appreciated!!
> > >
> > > "Al" <key130@hotmail.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ
> > > :82dbce6.0406140002.4aae4210@posting.google.com...

June 15, 2004 8:20:22 AM

Hi Helio

I'm looking at Connect2Internet which seems pretty good.

Just wondering if you in the US or UK?

Thanks,

Al.
Anonymous
June 22, 2004 6:32:40 PM

Hi

I had the same issues, a lot of digging and experimenting fixed it in
the end.

The bits that I see that are different to what you have already done
are :

- Make sure you have '+' in front of the extra dial string.
So it should read '+cgdcont=1,"ip","internet" '

- Take off wait for dial tone before dialling.

- Under port settings the stop bits should be 2.
So in order that's 8, None, 2, Hardware

- Vodafone uses a standard username of 'web' and password of 'web' so
enter those as the credentials (no domain needed).

I used the standard *99# number and it worked fine.

--
Ronix
Ronix's Profile: http://www.ppczone.net/forum/member.php?action=getinfo&...