Unlocked Athlon 2600+ on A7V266-E

Hey all,

I recently upgraded my A7V266-E to a 2600+ Thoroughbred (the highest the
board will support). When I received the CPU from the vendor, I inspected
it and everything seemed pretty much normal. I looked into unlocking the
processor, but as it has the newer packaging I thought it'd be too much
hassle and I just installed it as-is.

At the first post after I rebooted, I noticed that It was identified as a
Duron, not an Athlon and when I went into the BIOS the multiplier was
completely unlocked. What's going on here? Was the CPU unlocked by the
vendor (It was OEM, not retail) or is the motherboard doing this? As for
the latter, I have read about boards with the NForce2 chipset doing this on
Athlons with the Barton core, but my board uses the kt266 chipset. In case
anyone knows about this board, I am using the latest beta bios 1015.002.

Next, I wanted to know if an unlocked Athlon usually shows up as a Duron in
the BIOS and if there are any negative effects associated with it. Namely,
an Athlon has a bigger L1 and L2 cache and more features, like SSE support.
If the processor is posting as a Duron will the system still use these
features?

Thanks for helping with this, I'm not too sure if this is especially out of
the ordinary or not, as I have never really been an overclocker.

norm

My old A7V v1.01( your is allot newer) would actually run the early athlons.
The bio's would see it as a Duron...it overclock real good too!!. The only
real issue was heat...very hot!! Check here...good info on the A7V boards

http://www.a7vtroubleshooting.com/