recommendations? A8V Deluxe good?

I am the previous woner of an A7V133/1GHz Athlon t-bird. It blew last
weekend and I was wondering is anyone could recommend a good decent system.

Ok I decided to go a little over my budget, how does the following sound:

1 x ASUS A8V Deluxe/WIFI-G Socket 939 K8T800Pro Motherboard
1 x AMD AthlonT 64 3000+ Processor Retail (754)
1 x 512M PC3200 DDR RAM Kingmax/Kingston

The ASUS A8V Deluxe will only handle upto 6 x IDE/ATA devices and 2 x SATA
devices right?

The thing that concerns me is that this 64 technology is fairly new. Wont
ASUS bring out a revision of its A8V mobo? Newer revisions are always
better. Should I wait? I'm sick of using my laptop :p

Thanks everyone!

Sarah

Paul

Splendid

In article <4113237c$1@dnews.tpgi.com.au>, "SarahC" <sc@com.au> wrote:

> I am the previous woner of an A7V133/1GHz Athlon t-bird. It blew last
> weekend and I was wondering is anyone could recommend a good decent system.
>
> Ok I decided to go a little over my budget, how does the following sound:
>
> 1 x ASUS A8V Deluxe/WIFI-G Socket 939 K8T800Pro Motherboard
> 1 x AMD AthlonT 64 3000+ Processor Retail (754)
> 1 x 512M PC3200 DDR RAM Kingmax/Kingston
>
> The ASUS A8V Deluxe will only handle upto 6 x IDE/ATA devices and 2 x SATA
> devices right?
>
> The thing that concerns me is that this 64 technology is fairly new. Wont
> ASUS bring out a revision of its A8V mobo? Newer revisions are always
> better. Should I wait? I'm sick of using my laptop :p
>
> Thanks everyone!
>
> Sarah

In your post, I see you are purchasing a Socket 939 motherboard
and plugging a Socket 754 processor into it.

I would recommend a A7N8X-E Deluxe or an A7N8X-X motherboard and
an AthlonXP as an alternate choice. You can use your old ram
initially, while you test out the system. No sense spending
big bucks if you don't need to. And, if you are an overclocker,
you could also look for an AthlonXP-M mobile processor, which
can be overclocked to 2400 to 2600MHz.

If we go with your original plan, this is what you could buy
(prices from Newegg.com):

A8V $152 (don't buy it until you have verified it is version 2.
The AGP/PCI lock works on the version 2, according to
info on Anandtech.)

AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 512K L2, 2.2GHz $352.63
AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3800+, 512KB L2, 2.4 GHz, $652.00
AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2, 2.4GHz $828.95

2 sticks PC3200 unbuffered, for dual channel $xx.xx

You don't need expensive RAM, as the memory controller on the
Athlon64 has excellent performance. Premium ram is not a
requirement.

The manual is here. Have a read through and see if it has
the features you want:

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/a8v-deluxe/e1642_a8v_deluxe.pdf

From page 11 of the manual:

Storage SouthBridge supports
- 2 x UltraDMA 133 connectors <-- 4 drives
- 2 x Serial ATA with RAID 0, RAID 1, and JBOD <-- 2 drives
Promise ® PDC20378 RAID controller
- 1 x UltraDMA 133 connector <-- 2 drives
- 2 x Serial ATA connectors <-- 2 drives
- support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, and Multiple
RAID configurations

This web page tells you what processors can be used. The FX
has 1MB L2 and the others have 512KB L2.

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

"The following table shows the support for CPU / Motherboard

CPU Since PCB Since BIOS Memo
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Socket939) ALL ALL
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Socket939) ALL ALL
AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (Socket939) ALL ALL"

If you have the money, I think the A8V version 2 will be a kickass
product.

You can read the Anandtech article here:
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128

Have a look at post #4 in this thread.
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74370

In the signature of the poster, you can see these two numbers:

3DMark03 15,552 3DMark01 32,699

Hard to believe...

HTH,
Paul

wow thanks for that Paul! You are right. The CPU/board combo i suggested was
not right. I meant to say the K8V-SE-Deluxe. I have posted another thread in
relation to this. Would you recommend that board? I am so confused what to
get into. I think i am considering either socket 754 or socket A.

Thanks for your help!

> [...]
> - 2 x Serial ATA connectors <-- 2 drives
> - support for RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 0+1, and Multiple
> RAID configurations
>
> This web page tells you what processors can be used. The FX
> has 1MB L2 and the others have 512KB L2.
>
> http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
>
> "The following table shows the support for CPU / Motherboard
>
> CPU Since PCB Since BIOS Memo
> AMD Athlon 64 3500+ (Socket939) ALL ALL
> AMD Athlon 64 3800+ (Socket939) ALL ALL
> AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 (Socket939) ALL ALL"
>
> If you have the money, I think the A8V version 2 will be a kickass
> product.
>
> You can read the Anandtech article here:
> http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2128
>
> Have a look at post #4 in this thread.
> http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74370
>
> In the signature of the poster, you can see these two numbers:

I have the A8V Deluxe... I'm farely sure it is not the revision 2 since I
purchased it over a month ago. I have not had any problems with it. As far
as mobo's go, this one is top notch in terms of stability, board layout,
feature set, and quality. Also, I'm sure there will be some way in the near
future for a user to mod his/her A8V Deluxe version 1 such that the AGP/PCI
lock works propely.

my system:
------------
AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 FX-53, 1MB L2 Cache
ASUS "A8V Deluxe Wi-Fi" K8T800 Pro
VIA Hyperion 4in1 451v
1024mb (2 x (512mb OCZ Platinum EL (2-3-2-5) DDR400/PC3200) Dual Channel)
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (Catalyst 4.5) (C-378mhz / M-337.5mhz) OC to
(C-426.00mhz / M-360.00mhz)
SbAudigy 5.1 (PCI-Slot 3)

120gb Western Digital WD1200JB primary/master
60gb IBM 60gxp primary/slave
16x HI-VAL DVDrom (BDV316C) secondary/master
48x/24x/48x plextor (PX-W4824A) secondary/slave

LianLi PC-6070 *Silent* Aluminum Mid-Tower Case | 2x80mm intake fans, 1x80mm
exhaust fan
PowerMax 470watt Aluminum PSU | +3.3V@26A +5V@47A +12V@28A

--
Tony DiMarzio