P5GD1 Question

Hello
I just bought a Asus P5GD1 mobo with an P4 540 3.2 Ghz and 4x 512MB Kingston
PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK2).
First of all when booting the temp for CPU is about 70 Celcius, wich is
probably caused by the cpuCooler by Intel.
Second the speed of this machine is not what I've been expected.
Before this machine I had an P4T533 with P4 2.8Ghz (no hypertrading) and
512MB PC1066 Rimm.
The speed of the new machine is not as fast as the old one, example when
using LAME to make an MP3 the old machine is much quicker finished than the
new one.
Everything is set to AUTO in bios so no overclocking.
Is this normal with new Hypertrading CPU, or could this be the temperature
issue, or is something else wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Greetz, Big

Paul

Splendid

In article <cevecg$5tc$1@news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>, "Big Man"
<noone@nowhere.comma> wrote:

> Hello
> I just bought a Asus P5GD1 mobo with an P4 540 3.2 Ghz and 4x 512MB Kingston
> PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK2).
> First of all when booting the temp for CPU is about 70 Celcius, wich is
> probably caused by the cpuCooler by Intel.
> Second the speed of this machine is not what I've been expected.
> Before this machine I had an P4T533 with P4 2.8Ghz (no hypertrading) and
> 512MB PC1066 Rimm.
> The speed of the new machine is not as fast as the old one, example when
> using LAME to make an MP3 the old machine is much quicker finished than the
> new one.
> Everything is set to AUTO in bios so no overclocking.
> Is this normal with new Hypertrading CPU, or could this be the temperature
> issue, or is something else wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Greetz, Big

LGA775 Processor info is here. See section 5.2.1
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30235101.pdf

Thermal design power is 84W. Fortunately, you didn't buy the 3.4
or 3.6GHz processors, as their power is even higher.

I didn't see it mentioned in the thermal throttling
description, as to what temperature triggers throttling.
If you find the temperature tends to "stick" at 70C, that
probably means the throttle is activated.

I checked Abxzone, and one guy building a LGA775 system said
there aren't any third party cooling solutions for LGA775 yet.
I checked Zalman, and didn't see anything for LGA775. Apparently
Koolance is working on a water block for the LGA775, but it is
not ready yet.

For the time being, take the side off your computer case, and
use a large external fan to blow cooling air over the whole PC.
Perhaps you can bring the temp down low enough to test the speed
via LAME, using an external fan. Your case temperature could be
a contributor to the problem.

HTH,
Paul

Hello

Thanx for the quick respons.
I just installed the Probe utility from ASUS and the cpu-temp is about 50
degrees doing nothing, and 68 degrees full load.
I'm looking at the taskmanager too and when LAME is running it displays 1st
CPU at 100 % load, the "other" CPU displays 5 % load, this is the
Hypertrading I guess, is this the normal behaviour, and if so, when turning
off the Hypertrading in Bios will the CPU work at 3.2 Ghz??
BTW the temperature report is normal with the Intel Coolers, I've been
reading about it somewhere and that guy had the same problem.

Greetz, Big
> In article <cevecg$5tc$1@news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>, "Big Man"
> <noone@nowhere.comma> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> > I just bought a Asus P5GD1 mobo with an P4 540 3.2 Ghz and 4x 512MB
Kingston
> > PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK2).
> > First of all when booting the temp for CPU is about 70 Celcius, wich is
> > probably caused by the cpuCooler by Intel.
> > Second the speed of this machine is not what I've been expected.
> > Before this machine I had an P4T533 with P4 2.8Ghz (no hypertrading) and
> > 512MB PC1066 Rimm.
> > The speed of the new machine is not as fast as the old one, example when
> > using LAME to make an MP3 the old machine is much quicker finished than
the
> > new one.
> > Everything is set to AUTO in bios so no overclocking.
> > Is this normal with new Hypertrading CPU, or could this be the
temperature
> > issue, or is something else wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Greetz, Big
>
> LGA775 Processor info is here. See section 5.2.1
> ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30235101.pdf
>
> Thermal design power is 84W. Fortunately, you didn't buy the 3.4
> or 3.6GHz processors, as their power is even higher.
>
> I didn't see it mentioned in the thermal throttling
> description, as to what temperature triggers throttling.
> If you find the temperature tends to "stick" at 70C, that
> probably means the throttle is activated.
>
> I checked Abxzone, and one guy building a LGA775 system said
> there aren't any third party cooling solutions for LGA775 yet.
> I checked Zalman, and didn't see anything for LGA775. Apparently
> Koolance is working on a water block for the LGA775, but it is
> not ready yet.
>
> For the time being, take the side off your computer case, and
> use a large external fan to blow cooling air over the whole PC.
> Perhaps you can bring the temp down low enough to test the speed
> via LAME, using an external fan. Your case temperature could be
> a contributor to the problem.
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <4113683b$0$98121$e4fe514c@dreader19.news.xs4all.nl>, "Big Man"
<noone@nowhere.comma> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Thanx for the quick respons.
> I just installed the Probe utility from ASUS and the cpu-temp is about 50
> degrees doing nothing, and 68 degrees full load.
> I'm looking at the taskmanager too and when LAME is running it displays 1st
> CPU at 100 % load, the "other" CPU displays 5 % load, this is the
> Hypertrading I guess, is this the normal behaviour, and if so, when turning
> off the Hypertrading in Bios will the CPU work at 3.2 Ghz??
> BTW the temperature report is normal with the Intel Coolers, I've been
> reading about it somewhere and that guy had the same problem.
>
> Greetz, Big

As I understand it, Hyperthreading is properly supported in WinXP,
and when a new program is launched, it will be run on the "least
loaded" virtual processor. The virtual CPU with the 5% is probably
running background tasks etc.

The CPU runs at 3.2GHz whether Hyperthreading is enabled or not.
Hyperthreading uses two sets of registers, such that if one
thread is blocked, due to a data dependency, then another thread
pointed to by the other set of registers, can be allowed to run.
Hyperthreading makes better use of processor resources, but
sometimes at the expense of counter-productive access patterns
to the memory. I would say it is generally better to leave it
enabled.

To make best use of Hyperthreading, try running two copies of
LAME. That way, you make the most of the processor.

If you turn off Hyperthreading, then WinXP will see one processor,
and you will save some electricity. For a single threaded process,
that might give you a better benchmark. Run one copy of LAME with
Hyperthreading disabled and see.

There is a description of Prescott thermal control here:
ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/guides/30056401.pdf

I've tried searching, but cannot find a utility that reports the
state of PROCHOT. I'm pretty sure you are suffering from thermal
throttling. While the Intel document doesn't say it, I expect
PROCHOT triggers at 70C or slightly less.

One suggestion I read, from someone running as hot as you, was to
remove the heatsink, clean off the Intel provided thermal solution
(pad?), and replace with Arctic Silver 5 thermal compound. Apply
only a thin layer, and do not apply so much that is oozes out.
(If that compound contaminates the LGA775 socket, you are in big
trouble. LGA775 socket is a worse design than S478.)

Applying thermal compound dropped the temperatures by 10C for that
poster. Also, inspect your installation and make sure that the
heatsink is sitting flush and making good contact with the CPU. I
like to install and inspect the HSF while the motherboard is outside
the case, to make sure it is properly installed. Whether you can
do that, depends on whether your computer case has a stiffener bar
that gets in the way of dropping motherboard and HSF directly into
the computer case.

Since there is not a lot of experience with LGA775 in this newsgroup,
there will be a lot of experiments to come, when it comes to making
a good thermal solution for the new boards. It is too bad that third
party LGA775 cooling solutions are not yet available. I would be
especially interested in a heatsink like the Zalman 7000 series, if
they can make an adapter for LGA775. Their web site shows the
7000B supports S478, S462, S754, S939, S940, but no LGA775 yet.

HTH,
Paul

> > In article <cevecg$5tc$1@news2.tilbu1.nb.home.nl>, "Big Man"
> > <noone@nowhere.comma> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > > I just bought a Asus P5GD1 mobo with an P4 540 3.2 Ghz and 4x 512MB
> Kingston
> > > PC3200 (KVR400X64C3AK2).
> > > First of all when booting the temp for CPU is about 70 Celcius, wich is
> > > probably caused by the cpuCooler by Intel.
> > > Second the speed of this machine is not what I've been expected.
> > > Before this machine I had an P4T533 with P4 2.8Ghz (no hypertrading) and
> > > 512MB PC1066 Rimm.
> > > The speed of the new machine is not as fast as the old one, example when
> > > using LAME to make an MP3 the old machine is much quicker finished than
> the
> > > new one.
> > > Everything is set to AUTO in bios so no overclocking.
> > > Is this normal with new Hypertrading CPU, or could this be the
> temperature
> > > issue, or is something else wrong?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Greetz, Big
> >
> > LGA775 Processor info is here. See section 5.2.1
> > ftp://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30235101.pdf
> >
> > Thermal design power is 84W. Fortunately, you didn't buy the 3.4
> > or 3.6GHz processors, as their power is even higher.
> >
> > I didn't see it mentioned in the thermal throttling
> > description, as to what temperature triggers throttling.
> > If you find the temperature tends to "stick" at 70C, that
> > probably means the throttle is activated.
> >
> > I checked Abxzone, and one guy building a LGA775 system said
> > there aren't any third party cooling solutions for LGA775 yet.
> > I checked Zalman, and didn't see anything for LGA775. Apparently
> > Koolance is working on a water block for the LGA775, but it is
> > not ready yet.
> >
> > For the time being, take the side off your computer case, and
> > use a large external fan to blow cooling air over the whole PC.
> > Perhaps you can bring the temp down low enough to test the speed
> > via LAME, using an external fan. Your case temperature could be
> > a contributor to the problem.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Paul

Hi Again,

Just wanted you to know that my problem is solved.
I don't know what went wrong with the temperature, but after removing, and
replacing, the cooler (same one) the temperature dropped till 36 Celcius,
now on heavy load it sticks between 46 and 50 Celcius, so it's normal now (I
think).
It's a bit strange though, the machine worked without any problems, so I
think it's just the cooler that's not okay, but I will replace it as soon as
other brands come available.

Now as for the slow LAME encoding, with the new machine and everything
installed from scratch, I took the new LAME version and that seems to be the
problem too, because after taking the "old" one wich I used on the other
machine, it went just as quick as before.

So thanx again for you reply's.

Greetz, Big

> [...]
> > >
> > > Thermal design power is 84W. Fortunately, you didn't buy the 3.4
> > > or 3.6GHz processors, as their power is even higher.
> > >
> > > I didn't see it mentioned in the thermal throttling
> > > description, as to what temperature triggers throttling.
> > > If you find the temperature tends to "stick" at 70C, that
> > > probably means the throttle is activated.
> > >
> > > I checked Abxzone, and one guy building a LGA775 system said
> > > there aren't any third party cooling solutions for LGA775 yet.
> > > I checked Zalman, and didn't see anything for LGA775. Apparently
> > > Koolance is working on a water block for the LGA775, but it is
> > > not ready yet.
> > >
> > > For the time being, take the side off your computer case, and
> > > use a large external fan to blow cooling air over the whole PC.
> > > Perhaps you can bring the temp down low enough to test the speed
> > > via LAME, using an external fan. Your case temperature could be

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What video card did you use. I'm trying to find out when the 6800 ultra's
are going to be available for pci express

"Big Man" <noone@nowhere.comma> wrote in message
> [...]
>> heatsink is sitting flush and making good contact with the CPU. I
>> like to install and inspect the HSF while the motherboard is outside
>> the case, to make sure it is properly installed. Whether you can
>> do that, depends on whether your computer case has a stiffener bar
>> that gets in the way of dropping motherboard and HSF directly into
>> the computer case.
>>
>> Since there is not a lot of experience with LGA775 in this newsgroup,
>> there will be a lot of experiments to come, when it comes to making
>> a good thermal solution for the new boards. It is too bad that third
>> party LGA775 cooling solutions are not yet available. I would be
>> especially interested in a heatsink like the Zalman 7000 series, if
>> they can make an adapter for LGA775. Their web site shows the
>> 7000B supports S478, S462, S754, S939, S940, but no LGA775 yet.

I'm using a XFX Geforce PCX-5750 with 256MB DDR ram.
For me it's a good card, I don't need the Ultra Speed for games.
But if u want to have the speed, u can try the ATI X600 chipset.

"Tom" <tjs2906@comcast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> >> heatsink is sitting flush and making good contact with the CPU. I
> >> like to install and inspect the HSF while the motherboard is outside
> >> the case, to make sure it is properly installed. Whether you can
> >> do that, depends on whether your computer case has a stiffener bar
> >> that gets in the way of dropping motherboard and HSF directly into
> >> the computer case.
> >>
> >> Since there is not a lot of experience with LGA775 in this newsgroup,
> >> there will be a lot of experiments to come, when it comes to making
> >> a good thermal solution for the new boards. It is too bad that third
> >> party LGA775 cooling solutions are not yet available. I would be
> >> especially interested in a heatsink like the Zalman 7000 series, if
> >> they can make an adapter for LGA775. Their web site shows the
> >> 7000B supports S478, S462, S754, S939, S940, but no LGA775 yet.

Tim

Hi,

You may want to try running LAME with HT turned off. There are situations
where - as Paul outlined earlier - you will get non optimal memory access
patterns that cause performance to be stunted for those specific situations.
For a lengthy encoding style process the impact of HT on may be so great
that the CPU cache becomes ineffective and the negative impact on your other
work may just be to small to worry about.

You should be able to change HT in bios, reboot, benchmark and if you want
change HT back without any consequence.

There are two specific products I know of where they advise strongly to turn
HT off. MS SQL Server 2000 is one, and the other is a Beta Server class
product under NDR. From a usage perspective (IE single user, software
development) I can't say I have noticed any difference at all between HT on
and HT off for both products, but then I am not benchmarking in a true
server environment.

- Tim