REQ: Help with P4P800-SE woes

We bought a system and it has Two 250 gig sata drives.
One gig of 400 ddr ram and a intel 3.14 cpu/

I added a 40 gig for testing maxtor ata-66 40 gig.

Also installed is a memorex 48x cdrom.

No matter what OS I attempt to install on the beast

it keeps rebooting to the title boot up screen.

I mean sometimes just booting a bootdisk will fail.

The only thing that seems to stop the beast from

doing it is if I pull the white power plug on the sata drives.

What gives?

more than 12 hours later I am worn out.....

Yeah just got the pc a couple a days ago via mail order....

Even putting the pc in compatability mode does not seem to help

all that much....

The reboot can happen even in less than two minutes running time....

I got win2000 pro installed once before it got corrupted.

When I looked at the sata drives win2000 pro said they were 125's.
grrrr that was even after installing the drivers.

I'm not a happy camper here.

Any one else have this happen to them ?

Geneve

--
"If confused why this or that is going on."
"I suggest you go to http://www.timdoc.com"

    In article <cevgnq02jet@drn.newsguy.com>, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

    > We bought a system and it has Two 250 gig sata drives.
    > One gig of 400 ddr ram and a intel 3.14 cpu/
    >
    > I added a 40 gig for testing maxtor ata-66 40 gig.
    >
    > Also installed is a memorex 48x cdrom.
    >
    > No matter what OS I attempt to install on the beast
    >
    > it keeps rebooting to the title boot up screen.
    >
    > I mean sometimes just booting a bootdisk will fail.
    >
    > The only thing that seems to stop the beast from
    >
    > doing it is if I pull the white power plug on the sata drives.
    >
    > What gives?
    >
    > more than 12 hours later I am worn out.....
    >
    > Yeah just got the pc a couple a days ago via mail order....
    >
    > Even putting the pc in compatability mode does not seem to help
    >
    > all that much....
    >
    > The reboot can happen even in less than two minutes running time....
    >
    > I got win2000 pro installed once before it got corrupted.
    >
    > When I looked at the sata drives win2000 pro said they were 125's.
    > grrrr that was even after installing the drivers.
    >
    > I'm not a happy camper here.
    >

    > Any one else have this happen to them ?
    >
    > Geneve

    I would say your power supply is on the weak side. That
    is what the symptoms suggest. You could go into the BIOS
    and look at the Hardware Monitor screen and check the
    voltages. The three voltages from the power supply should
    be within 5% of their nominal 3.3, 5.0, and 12V values.
    If one of them is off by 10%, that means trouble.

    Get a copy of memtest86, from memtest.org . There is a version
    that will prep a blank floppy, for use as a standalone boot
    disk. There is another version for making a ISO CD, if you
    don't have a floppy drive. Do at least a couple of passes
    error free, before concluding your memory is good.

    You really shouldn't waste effort installing an OS, if
    the system isn't stable, because it will only corrupt on
    you. Similarly, now would be a bad time to try flashing
    the BIOS, because of what could happen in the middle of the
    flash. You need to find a solution to your problem before
    you can go much farther.

    Post the brand and model number of the power supply.
    There should be a label on the side, with ratings.
    You might consider posting the ratings as well, to save
    time trying to look up the numbers on the web.

    It will say 12V @ 15amps for example, and that is enough
    for a basic system. As you add more drives, slightly more
    current will be needed (allow 0.5 amps per idling disk
    drive on +12V). A high end video card will also draw a
    bit of +12V. If the mail order firm put a supply with a
    12V @ 10amp rating in there, that would be the problem.

    HTH,
    Paul

    On 6 Aug 2004 01:50:02 -0700, Geneve <a@n.com> wrote:

    >We bought a system and it has Two 250 gig sata drives.
    >One gig of 400 ddr ram and a intel 3.14 cpu/
    >
    >I added a 40 gig for testing maxtor ata-66 40 gig.
    >
    >Also installed is a memorex 48x cdrom.
    >
    >No matter what OS I attempt to install on the beast
    >
    >it keeps rebooting to the title boot up screen.
    >
    >I mean sometimes just booting a bootdisk will fail.
    >
    >The only thing that seems to stop the beast from
    >
    >doing it is if I pull the white power plug on the sata drives.
    >
    >What gives?
    >
    >more than 12 hours later I am worn out.....
    >
    >Yeah just got the pc a couple a days ago via mail order....
    >
    >Even putting the pc in compatability mode does not seem to help
    >
    >all that much....
    >
    >The reboot can happen even in less than two minutes running time....
    >
    >I got win2000 pro installed once before it got corrupted.
    >
    >When I looked at the sata drives win2000 pro said they were 125's.
    >grrrr that was even after installing the drivers.
    >
    >I'm not a happy camper here.
    >

    >Any one else have this happen to them ?
    >
    >Geneve

    Just recently built a system with a Asus p800-se
    and all seems well

    here are the specs

    P800-se
    intel 865 chip set
    ATI-radion 9800pro with 256ddr ram
    512 ddr 2700 ram
    Pentium 4 3gh with hyperthreading 512k catch
    2 80gb maxtor 7200 drives
    1 120 westerndigital 7200 drive
    Pineneer DVD/r

    Case is a thermaltake XaserIII lanfire with a 420 power supply

    windows XP pr0

    I am not using the raid as of this time
    But I am using a third party promis IDE 133 ad on card

    System is very stable to date only time it tripped wast when I tried
    to run Doom 3 on it with out the updated drivers for the video card.

    updated drivers and increased swap size min to 1024 and it did the
    tried Doom runs nicely.

    Try the system with out the raid or the sata drives
    get it running normaly then upgrade the drives to sata and all that
    stuff lator.

    my system is not the fastest but so far it is 100 % stable.

    bbeale43@comcast.net

Asus Motherboards