K8V SE Deluxe - how to enable rear speaker through Mic jac..

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2004 8:09:52 PM

Hey,

Just got this board and I can not figure out how to get my Logitech speakers
to work with it. In the manual it says that the function of the Microphone
jack depends on whether you have a 2,4 or 6 speaker setup.

My Logitechs have 2 sets of 1/8" miniplugs (front and rear)

The fronts work fine in the Line Out (lime colored) jack. I plug the rears
into the Mic (pink) jack and I can not get sound out of them no matter what
I try.

Is there somewhere you have to tell the BIOS or OS that you have speakers
plugged into the Mic jack?

I tried all different settings with both the built in Windows speaker
settings, as well as the audio app that is installed whn you install the
drivers for the mobo.

Nothing works
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2004 10:28:51 PM

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:09:52 -0400, "ZigZag Master"
<zigSPAMMYzagmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Just got this board and I can not figure out how to get my Logitech speakers
>to work with it. In the manual it says that the function of the Microphone
>jack depends on whether you have a 2,4 or 6 speaker setup.
>
>My Logitechs have 2 sets of 1/8" miniplugs (front and rear)
>
>The fronts work fine in the Line Out (lime colored) jack. I plug the rears
>into the Mic (pink) jack and I can not get sound out of them no matter what
>I try.
>
>Is there somewhere you have to tell the BIOS or OS that you have speakers
>plugged into the Mic jack?
>
>I tried all different settings with both the built in Windows speaker
>settings, as well as the audio app that is installed whn you install the
>drivers for the mobo.
>
>Nothing works

I believe with that board you have to change the speaker setup through
the SoundMAX Control Panel. Double click on the blue/white triangle in
the system tray or run the SoundMAX Control Panel from
start/programs/SoundMAX.
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2004 10:54:02 PM

Hey Mr. Oldfart, (like it)

Tried that with no success.

"Justan Oldfart" <retired@nojob.com> wrote in message
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:09:52 -0400, "ZigZag Master"
> <zigSPAMMYzagmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Hey,
> >
> >Just got this board and I can not figure out how to get my Logitech
speakers
> >to work with it. In the manual it says that the function of the
Microphone
> >jack depends on whether you have a 2,4 or 6 speaker setup.
> >
> >My Logitechs have 2 sets of 1/8" miniplugs (front and rear)
> >
> >The fronts work fine in the Line Out (lime colored) jack. I plug the
rears
> >into the Mic (pink) jack and I can not get sound out of them no matter
what
> >I try.
> >
> >Is there somewhere you have to tell the BIOS or OS that you have speakers
> >plugged into the Mic jack?
> >
> >I tried all different settings with both the built in Windows speaker
> >settings, as well as the audio app that is installed whn you install the
> >drivers for the mobo.
> >
> >Nothing works
> >

> I believe with that board you have to change the speaker setup through
> the SoundMAX Control Panel. Double click on the blue/white triangle in
> the system tray or run the SoundMAX Control Panel from
> start/programs/SoundMAX.

Related resources
August 7, 2004 5:06:19 AM

In article <2niggfF1au62U1@uni-berlin.de>, "ZigZag Master"
<zigSPAMMYzagmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Mr. Oldfart, (like it)
>
> Tried that with no success.

There has to be something wrong with the drivers for that board.

A post by Wolfram above, reports the same problem. He gets some
kind of sound, but not proper sound from the rear speakers.

The thing is, drivers have to be designed for the chipset.

I've tried tracing what might be the latest driver that works
with the 8237. There are a number of ADI/8237 combo boards
that use Soundmax. So far, the SK8V seems to have the latest
driver, and perhaps uninstalling your current driver, and
installing 1985WDM_3713.zip will work. It seems to have some
of the same entries in the .inf, and that is what I'm
basing my guess on. (I cannot verify it any closer, as the
old PCI vendor/device registry is gone from the web.)

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/download/item.aspx?Model...

With a driver problem, you don't have too many places to turn.
Unless another manufacturer is using the 8237 and a Soundmax chip
from Analog Devices, there might not be another source of these
drivers. ADI doesn't offer direct downloads themselves.

HTH,
Paul

> "Justan Oldfart" <retired@nojob.com> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:09:52 -0400, "ZigZag Master"
> > <zigSPAMMYzagmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > >Hey,
> > >
> > >Just got this board and I can not figure out how to get my Logitech
> speakers
> > >to work with it. In the manual it says that the function of the
> Microphone
> > >jack depends on whether you have a 2,4 or 6 speaker setup.
> > >
> > >My Logitechs have 2 sets of 1/8" miniplugs (front and rear)
> > >
> > >The fronts work fine in the Line Out (lime colored) jack. I plug the
> rears
> > >into the Mic (pink) jack and I can not get sound out of them no matter
> what
> > >I try.
> > >
> > >Is there somewhere you have to tell the BIOS or OS that you have speakers
> > >plugged into the Mic jack?
> > >
> > >I tried all different settings with both the built in Windows speaker
> > >settings, as well as the audio app that is installed whn you install the
> > >drivers for the mobo.
> > >
> > >Nothing works
> > >

> > I believe with that board you have to change the speaker setup through
> > the SoundMAX Control Panel. Double click on the blue/white triangle in
> > the system tray or run the SoundMAX Control Panel from
> > start/programs/SoundMAX.

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
August 8, 2004 4:02:04 AM

On Fri, 6 Aug 2004 16:09:52 -0400, "ZigZag Master"
<zigSPAMMYzagmaster@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hey,
>
>Just got this board and I can not figure out how to get my Logitech speakers
>to work with it. In the manual it says that the function of the Microphone
>jack depends on whether you have a 2,4 or 6 speaker setup.
>
>My Logitechs have 2 sets of 1/8" miniplugs (front and rear)
>
>The fronts work fine in the Line Out (lime colored) jack. I plug the rears
>into the Mic (pink) jack and I can not get sound out of them no matter what
>I try.
>
>Is there somewhere you have to tell the BIOS or OS that you have speakers
>plugged into the Mic jack?
>
>I tried all different settings with both the built in Windows speaker
>settings, as well as the audio app that is installed whn you install the
>drivers for the mobo.
>
>Nothing works

The sound works fine on the K8V SE Deluxe I just set up.

Look in the manual on page 2-30 and check the jumpers on the FP_AUDIO
header.
These jumpers weren't on my board. I didn't actually try my setup with
out the jumpers because I hooked up front panel connectors that
replace the jumpers.
I never would have noticed the missing jumpers if I didn't connect
panel connectors.

James
!