USB Storage Driver not working

I've recently bought a new memory stick after my last one
died whilst connected to the USB port.

Windows XP now does not recognise the new device. It is
recognised in other machines but not the one the previous
memory stick broke whilst connected to.
I can still use PDAs etc via the USB ports no problem.

Does anyone know if/how I can reinstall the USB storage
driver without totally reinstalling XP? I've searched
around the Microsoft drivers site and I cant seem to find
it.....

Thanks,
Mark
2 answers Last reply
More about storage driver working

    Re-start XP in Safe Mode

    Open Device Manager/ Management

    Set up "Show Hidden device"

    Delete all USB Hubs/port and your failed USB flash disk

    Reboot and let XP start normally. XP shoudl re-install USB ports and Hubs.

    Plug in the new USB flash disk.

    Microsoft's USB 1 / 1.1 drivers are built into XP (Original) and USB 2.0 was
    delivered as part of SP1(a). You can not remove/download/re-install them
    separately.

    "Mark" <markyboy321@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've recently bought a new memory stick after my last one
    > died whilst connected to the USB port.
    >
    > Windows XP now does not recognise the new device. It is
    > recognised in other machines but not the one the previous
    > memory stick broke whilst connected to.
    > I can still use PDAs etc via the USB ports no problem.
    >
    > Does anyone know if/how I can reinstall the USB storage
    > driver without totally reinstalling XP? I've searched
    > around the Microsoft drivers site and I cant seem to find
    > it.....
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Mark

    Yves,

    I've followed your instructions (thanks) but the problem
    is still not resolved... (I still get the message that
    the device has malfunctioned and that the drivers are not
    installed.)

    Showing the hidden devices did not reveal
    anything 'hidden' in the USB category.

    I uninstalled the 4 USB Root Hubs, in safe mode.

    There were 4 Intel universal host CONTROLLERS listed as
    well (I think they are related to the CD/DVD - at least
    one of them is) - should I uninstall these as well?

    Finally - I cannot find any reference to my old USB
    memory stick on my PC - therefore I believe anything
    related to it has been removed.

    Am I doing this right?? Or do you have any more
    suggestions? - Thanks for your help so far...

Microsoft USB Windows XP