john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Just set up a new machine
I have setup lots of machines but never used this board
I used Samsung Ram 512meg
WD HDD 120 GIG
500 watt power
Pioneer ao7

On setting it up I experienced consistent rebooting
Screen goes pink squares or streaks and locks
Got Windows XP on after some time seemed to be stable after I reseated the
Ram
However when I restart the pc I get the pink squares and a reboot or two
this does not happen very often and I'm more curious more that anything else
apart from that it works Fine
Is anyone experience this Problem

Paul

Splendid

In article <41146b3f$1@news.comindico.com.au>, "John" <jlocan@bluep.com> wrote:

> Just set up a new machine
> I have setup lots of machines but never used this board
> I used Samsung Ram 512meg
> WD HDD 120 GIG
> 500 watt power
> Pioneer ao7
>

> On setting it up I experienced consistent rebooting
> Screen goes pink squares or streaks and locks
> Got Windows XP on after some time seemed to be stable after I reseated the
> Ram
> However when I restart the pc I get the pink squares and a reboot or two
> this does not happen very often and I'm more curious more that anything else
> apart from that it works Fine
> Is anyone experience this Problem

Do you run memtest86 on the machines you build ? You shouldn't
install an OS until the memory is proved error free. Bad memory
can corrupt the install, and cause you to start all over again.
http://www.memtest.org

Your motherboard has integrated graphics, and will use the system
memory for the frame buffer and for textures. So, either the
motherboard or the memory is at fault, for pink squares or streaks.

Some integrated graphics chipsets seem to be sensitive to the
clock speed used with them. The manual for this board says you
may use up to PC2700 memory. Perhaps you've set the thing to
[By SPD] and used a PC3200 stick of ram, and the Northbridge is
running the memory interface at DDR400, when really with
the integrated graphics, it cannot handle it ?

Have you looked in the Hardware Monitor page of the BIOS, to see
whether the voltages look good ? PSU voltages have a tolerance
of 5%, so see if they are within that allowance. Your board probably
draws most of its current from +5V.

Just a guess,
Paul

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

All sounds Very reasonable.I have already changes sticks time to cross
fingers Cheers

> In article <41146b3f$1@news.comindico.com.au>, "John" <jlocan@bluep.com>
wrote:

> > Just set up a new machine
> > I have setup lots of machines but never used this board
> > I used Samsung Ram 512meg
> > WD HDD 120 GIG
> > 500 watt power
> > Pioneer ao7
> >

> > On setting it up I experienced consistent rebooting
> > Screen goes pink squares or streaks and locks
> > Got Windows XP on after some time seemed to be stable after I reseated
the
> > Ram
> > However when I restart the pc I get the pink squares and a reboot or
two
> > this does not happen very often and I'm more curious more that anything
else
> > apart from that it works Fine
> > Is anyone experience this Problem
>
> Do you run memtest86 on the machines you build ? You shouldn't
> install an OS until the memory is proved error free. Bad memory
> can corrupt the install, and cause you to start all over again.
> http://www.memtest.org
>
> Your motherboard has integrated graphics, and will use the system
> memory for the frame buffer and for textures. So, either the
> motherboard or the memory is at fault, for pink squares or streaks.
>
> Some integrated graphics chipsets seem to be sensitive to the
> clock speed used with them. The manual for this board says you
> may use up to PC2700 memory. Perhaps you've set the thing to
> [By SPD] and used a PC3200 stick of ram, and the Northbridge is
> running the memory interface at DDR400, when really with
> the integrated graphics, it cannot handle it ?
>
> Have you looked in the Hardware Monitor page of the BIOS, to see
> whether the voltages look good ? PSU voltages have a tolerance
> of 5%, so see if they are within that allowance. Your board probably
> draws most of its current from +5V.
>
> Just a guess,
> Paul

TRENDING THREADS