network install

June 2, 2004 10:46:11 AM

I have a laptop and my cd drive has stopped working. I also have a USB cd drive. I would like to reinstall windows but have a problem in that the cd cant be booted at startup. Firstly can anybody help me with this. If not, is it possible to install windows from another hard drive on a network. I have found a boot disk online that should allow me to access a network. I was just wondering if anybody had tried this before or has any other suggestions.

Thanks

More about : network install

Anonymous
June 2, 2004 3:42:59 PM

Network install may not be possible.

However, Microsoft has provided a series of boot diskettes which will allow
you to run the set up, starting from a floppy disk. Just download the
correct version (Home ; Pro ; Home with SP1 or Pro with Sp1) and follow the
directions.