Need advice on adjusting CPU

mb

I have an A7V133 AMD Athlon 2.2 G CPU. I'm pretty happy with it, except I
haven't been able to get it to run at 2.2 G since I bought the thing.

The one idiotic thing about this motherboard (which I otherwise love) is
that if you adjust the CPU settings too high, it doesn't boot up. You have
to go in the board and dick around with the jumpers, reduce the CPU settings
with the jumper switches, then boots again. A royal pain!

So, a few days ago, my power supply went, so I purchased a new one. Now I'm
wondering, could the old power supply possibly be related to not achieving
2.2 G speed? When I opened the PC up to remove the old power supply, I
noticed that some of the fans weren't working and the main power supply fan
was spinning slowly.

Anyway, the bios is now set at it's default 7.5x for CPU clock multipler and
133 FSB/DRAM frequency giving me 1000 Mh. I should adjust the multiplier to
9.0 or 9.5 I guess, to get it to it's rated speed of 2.2 G.

I'm afraid to do this because of the boot issues with this board, I've also
misplaced the manual and last time it took forever to get the computer up
again (and I had the manual then).

So, just wanted some opinions with regards to the new power supply making a
difference or not before I start fiddling around with the CPU settings.

MB

mb

Sorry, I made a mistake I've got a 1.2G Athlon not 2.2 G, it's default with
A7V133 is 7.5 x 133, I'm trying to set it to 9.5x133.

MB

"MB" <mb@sym.ca> wrote in message
> I have an A7V133 AMD Athlon 2.2 G CPU. I'm pretty happy with it, except I
> haven't been able to get it to run at 2.2 G since I bought the thing.
>
> The one idiotic thing about this motherboard (which I otherwise love) is
> that if you adjust the CPU settings too high, it doesn't boot up. You have
> to go in the board and dick around with the jumpers, reduce the CPU
settings
> with the jumper switches, then boots again. A royal pain!
>
> So, a few days ago, my power supply went, so I purchased a new one. Now
I'm
> wondering, could the old power supply possibly be related to not achieving
> 2.2 G speed? When I opened the PC up to remove the old power supply, I
> noticed that some of the fans weren't working and the main power supply
fan
> was spinning slowly.
>
> Anyway, the bios is now set at it's default 7.5x for CPU clock multipler
and
> 133 FSB/DRAM frequency giving me 1000 Mh. I should adjust the multiplier
> 9.0 or 9.5 I guess, to get it to it's rated speed of 2.2 G.
>
> I'm afraid to do this because of the boot issues with this board, I've
also
> misplaced the manual and last time it took forever to get the computer up
> again (and I had the manual then).
>
> So, just wanted some opinions with regards to the new power supply making
> difference or not before I start fiddling around with the CPU settings.
>

> MB

Ed

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 11:40:47 -0400, "MB" <mb@sym.ca> wrote:

>Sorry, I made a mistake I've got a 1.2G Athlon not 2.2 G, it's default with
>A7V133 is 7.5 x 133, I'm trying to set it to 9.5x133.
>

>MB

You can download the mobo manuals in PDF format from Asus's web site.

Did you raise the CPU vcore?

I ran a (100 x 12 type) AMD 1.2GHz (at 135x10 for 3 years, had CPU Vcore
set to 1.85 otherwise it just lock up or crash a lot. ;p

Ed

Paul

Splendid

In article <1K6Rc.49818$Vm1.1262876@news20.bellglobal.com>, "MB"
<mb@sym.ca> wrote:

> Sorry, I made a mistake I've got a 1.2G Athlon not 2.2 G, it's default with
> A7V133 is 7.5 x 133, I'm trying to set it to 9.5x133.
>
> MB

As for your theory that the power supply is holding you back,
probably not. If it was the PSU, it would have been crash
city by now, and as your motherboard has been quite happy
until the PSU went, my guess is the PSU was not responsible.

I tried looking in the cpudatabase.com site, but don't see
a listing for Athlon 1.2GHz. Perhaps a Google search will
give you some ideas on the best method to overclock.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=athlon+1.2g+overclock

It could also be, that it needed a bit more Vcore, but
I bet that will make it run hot as hell.

HTH,
Paul

> "MB" <mb@sym.ca> wrote in message
> > I have an A7V133 AMD Athlon 2.2 G CPU. I'm pretty happy with it, except I
> > haven't been able to get it to run at 2.2 G since I bought the thing.
> >
> > The one idiotic thing about this motherboard (which I otherwise love) is
> > that if you adjust the CPU settings too high, it doesn't boot up. You have
> > to go in the board and dick around with the jumpers, reduce the CPU
> settings
> > with the jumper switches, then boots again. A royal pain!
> >
> > So, a few days ago, my power supply went, so I purchased a new one. Now
> I'm
> > wondering, could the old power supply possibly be related to not achieving
> > 2.2 G speed? When I opened the PC up to remove the old power supply, I
> > noticed that some of the fans weren't working and the main power supply
> fan
> > was spinning slowly.
> >
> > Anyway, the bios is now set at it's default 7.5x for CPU clock multipler
> and
> > 133 FSB/DRAM frequency giving me 1000 Mh. I should adjust the multiplier
> > 9.0 or 9.5 I guess, to get it to it's rated speed of 2.2 G.
> >
> > I'm afraid to do this because of the boot issues with this board, I've
> also
> > misplaced the manual and last time it took forever to get the computer up
> > again (and I had the manual then).
> >
> > So, just wanted some opinions with regards to the new power supply making
> > difference or not before I start fiddling around with the CPU settings.
> >

> > MB

mb

Thanks for the PDF manual link, I've downloaded it.

No, I didn't adjust anything. The Vcore is at default, 1.75V I believe. I
never overclocked or tinkered with the CPU or VCORE settings.

The odd thing was when I first bought the A7V13,3 it was running at 1.2G,
then a month or two later, it went down to 1G 7.5x133, and every attempt I
made to get it to go to it's rated 9x133 caused the PC to not boot.

Wondering if temperature has anything to do with it, I'm getting 55C CPU and
40C case temperatures idle -- is this too hot?

Or maybe it's just a defective CPU.

Ed

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 15:54:47 -0400, nospam@needed.com (Paul) wrote:

>It could also be, that it needed a bit more Vcore, but
>I bet that will make it run hot as hell.

Hot as Hell?, na that only happens when you push them over 1400MHz! ;P

I ran mine at 1350, with a (cheap and a tad noisy) Volcano II HS/fan in
a mid-tower with one front/rear case fans. It ran cooler then the AMD
slot-A 500 @ 800MHz that it replaced! ;p

Cheers,
Ed