Memory upgrade problems

I have just purchased a 512mb PC 3200 400mhz DDram module as an upgrade to
my existing 512mb PC 266. I have been told by Crucial and PC World techs
that this should be fine as the memory will operate at the lowest setting IE
the 266mhz module. They advised this in case I decide to upgrade further in
the future.

The problem I have is that the 512mb 266mhz module works fine in both 184
pin connectors on my AS Rock K7VM2 Mobo
which can take a maximum 2gb RAM and so does the PC 3200 400mhz, but they
dont run together. The Bios shows that I have 1GB memory but when the system
boots into windows xp I get a referenced memory error and the screen turns
blue with a page fault error saying that I should re boot and try again,
there is also a notice at the bottom of the blue screen saying that it is
dumping the physical memory to disk and there is a total in % running as I
watch, what the hell does all this mean? I don't think that the new memory
is at fault because it works in both connectors on its own but when I try to
pair them I get the problem. I hope this is easily remedied or I have just
wasted £79

Hello

Using 2 different speeds of memory does not always work
together. Either use the same speed or don't. Your using a 400
with a 266, my advice keep memory the same speed, avoid
mixing will cause problems.

Alvin

Headtheball wrote:

> I have just purchased a 512mb PC 3200 400mhz DDram module as an upgrade to
> my existing 512mb PC 266. I have been told by Crucial and PC World techs
> that this should be fine as the memory will operate at the lowest setting IE
> the 266mhz module. They advised this in case I decide to upgrade further in
> the future.
>
> The problem I have is that the 512mb 266mhz module works fine in both 184
> pin connectors on my AS Rock K7VM2 Mobo
> which can take a maximum 2gb RAM and so does the PC 3200 400mhz, but they
> dont run together. The Bios shows that I have 1GB memory but when the system
> boots into windows xp I get a referenced memory error and the screen turns
> blue with a page fault error saying that I should re boot and try again,
> there is also a notice at the bottom of the blue screen saying that it is
> dumping the physical memory to disk and there is a total in % running as I
> watch, what the hell does all this mean? I don't think that the new memory
> is at fault because it works in both connectors on its own but when I try to
> pair them I get the problem. I hope this is easily remedied or I have just
> wasted £79

JLee

Don't look at it as having wasted £79 but as the opportunity to spend
another £79. ;-)
XP is very sensitive to memory module compatibility and modules should be
procured as matched components. Some really tech savvy guru may be able to
tell you how to overcome the timing issue between the modules but I haven't
seen one posted on this NG board so far. You didn't say what type of
computer you are using but should also check with the manufacturer to see
what they have to say about the use of multiple memory modules.

"Headtheball" <noanswer@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have just purchased a 512mb PC 3200 400mhz DDram module as an upgrade to
> my existing 512mb PC 266. I have been told by Crucial and PC World techs
> that this should be fine as the memory will operate at the lowest setting
IE
> the 266mhz module. They advised this in case I decide to upgrade further
in
> the future.
>
> The problem I have is that the 512mb 266mhz module works fine in both 184
> pin connectors on my AS Rock K7VM2 Mobo
> which can take a maximum 2gb RAM and so does the PC 3200 400mhz, but they
> dont run together. The Bios shows that I have 1GB memory but when the
system
> boots into windows xp I get a referenced memory error and the screen turns
> blue with a page fault error saying that I should re boot and try again,
> there is also a notice at the bottom of the blue screen saying that it is
> dumping the physical memory to disk and there is a total in % running as I
> watch, what the hell does all this mean? I don't think that the new memory
> is at fault because it works in both connectors on its own but when I try
> pair them I get the problem. I hope this is easily remedied or I have just
> wasted £79

AMOUNT, SPEED OR WHAT EVER IS WELL WORTH THE EFFORT
HOWEVER YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME TRYING TO RUN THESE
MODULES TOGETHER, THEY ARE NOT COMPATIBLE, MOSTLY DUE TO
THE VOLTAGE REQUIREMENTS, DIFFERENT IN BOTH MODULES AND
YOUR MOTHER BOARDS INABILTY TO FEED DIFFERING VOLTAGES TO
DIFFERENT RAILS, ALL THAT ISLEFT TO YOU IS TO CHOOSE
WHICH MODULE YOU WISH TO RUN AND REMOVE THE OTHER ONE, i
TRY TO SELL ON MY OLD MODULES TO FRIENDS ECT FOR A SMALL
PROFIT BUT EVEN SO ANYTHING TO OFFSET THE COST OF THE NEW
MODULES IS RECIEVED WITH THANKS.

tHERE ARE AS YOU ARE PROBABLY AWARE SEVERAL TYPES OF
MEMORY NOW AVAILABLE AND PC WORLD IS NOT THE CHEAPEST
PLACE TO PURCHASE IT FROM HOWEVER YOU CAN EVEN RUN INTO
PROBLEMS WITH SAME TYPE MATCHES IF THEY COME FROM
DIFFERENT MANUFACTURERS AND EVEN FROM DIFFERENT
PRODUCTION RUNS OR LINES, RULE OF THUMB HERE, ALWAYS BUY
THR SAME TYPE TO MATCH WHAT YOU HAVE, ALWAYS BUY THE
SAME BRAND AND THAT WAY YOU MINIMISE THE PROBLEMS YOU
MIGHT HAVE ONCE INSTALLED.

THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH AND THE MEMORY CORE DUMP,
WRITTEN AS A FACTOR OF PERCENT IS NORMAL IN THESE CASES
AND NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, ADVICE, SAVE UP AND BUY
ANOTHER MODULE TO MATCH YOUR NEW ONE AND THINGS WILL BE
FINE.

kblackjack54@aol.com

in your bios settings for ram speed there should be a setting for by spd.
change to 266 and try that for awhile.

if more stable but some crashes experiment by raising the cas latency settings a bit at a time till you get stability.

I got my advice from the technical help people at Crucial.com and PC world.
They were both adamant that the PC 3200 400mhz module would be backwards
compatible to the existing PC 266mhz that I already have installed. When I
put them both side by side and boot the machine, it tells me that I have 1gb
ram installed so obviously the bios is accepting that there is another 512
module installed, it is only when it boots into windows that there is a
problem. I will try what Dude says and lower the speed to 266mhz in the bios
and see if that works.

> [...]

no option for doing that dude. The only option I have in my BIOS is to alter
SDRAM not DDRAM from 266mhz to 200mhz and cas Latency from 2.5 to 2.0 thats
it. The Bios has registered both Dimms as 266mhz but the BSOD appears and
resets my PC to reboot. Is it something to do with Jumper settings?
"the dude" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> in your bios settings for ram speed there should be a setting for by spd.
> change to 266 and try that for awhile.
>
> if more stable but some crashes experiment by raising the cas latency
settings a bit at a time till you get stability.

Problem solved,
I had to change the jumper settings on the MOBO. Nobody was able to suggest
this even the handbook doesn't tell you to change jumper settings when
installing memory upgrade. So far all is fine, I hope that it doesn't start
to play up now.
Thanks everybody for your help.