A7M266 compatable 1 gig sticks

I am looking for A7M266 compatable 1 gig sticks ( i want to put 2 1 gig
sticks in my board)
what ones are available - as in least expensive non-ECC
Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about a7m266 compatable sticks

    In article <2L7Rc.118014$bp1.90935@twister.nyroc.rr.com>, "ChNomad"
    <chull001@roch-remove-ester.rr.com> wrote:

    > I am looking for A7M266 compatable 1 gig sticks ( i want to put 2 1 gig
    > sticks in my board)
    > what ones are available - as in least expensive non-ECC
    > Thanks

    The controller supports unbuffered or registered DIMMs. First
    I looked for unbuffered.

    Crucial lists some for $250. Kingston has one listed for the
    A7M266 for about the same. These companies provide a search
    engine, to ensure you get the right ram. Their unbuffered ram
    will not be the "stacked kind". "Stacked" memory uses 32 chips
    on the DIMM instead of 16 for a double sided DIMM, as the stacked
    is cheaper.

    One of the Crucial entries is a registered 1GB modules, but
    it is $310. Same with Kingston. I was hoping the registered
    would be cheaper. The datasheet for the Kingston registered
    module is here:

    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR266X72RC25_1024.pdf

    The section on A7M266 on the Mushkin site (mainboard qualification)
    appears to be missing. Sometimes Mushkin warns of memory
    bandwidth reduction via the use of 1GB modules, so now we don't
    know if that is an issue or not. The A7M266-D uses a different
    Northbridge, so cannot necessarily be trusted as a guide, and
    has no guidance on 1GB modules in this case anyway.

    The datasheet for the AMD761 Northbridge says:

    "Supports the following DRAM:
    * Up to two unbuffered DIMMs or four registered DIMMs
    * 64-Mbit, 128-Mbit, 256-Mbit, and 512-Mbit technology
    * 64-bit data width, plus 8-bit ECC paths
    * Flexible row and column addressing
    Device widths of x4, x8, and x16 are supported
    (x4 supported only for registered DIMMs).

    The AMD-761 system controller does not allow DIMM types
    to be mixed on the same motherboard. All DIMMs on the
    motherboard must be either unbuffered or registered."

    Now, if you look on Pricewatch, you'll find modules starting
    at $87. But, to their credit, at least some of the adverts
    now mention they are using 128M x 4 memory chips, or that the
    modules are only compatible with a list of Northbridge chips
    included in the ad. That means the modules are the stacked
    ones, specifically mentioned as not supported in the datasheet
    blurb above:

    ==> (x4 supported _only_ for registered DIMMs)

    So, stacked memories are fine if they are buffered by the
    address register on a registered memory module. To use
    unregistered memory, then you need the $250 modules from
    Kingston or Crucial, which have (16) 64M x 8 chips.

    If you play roulette with a Pricewatch merchant, check out
    what restocking fees they charge if you return the module,
    and see whether you can actually get your money back or
    end up with store credit. The whole process makes Las
    Vegas look like a church bingo hall.

    HTH,
    Paul

Asus Motherboards