P4pe question

Hello there
, in mid use my pc froze and after resetting there was absolutely nothing ,
I mean no bios, no signal to the monitor,no booting . Prior to this I had
noticed that (while working on my other pc )that the screen sometimes went
black just for a second I did'nt pay much attention to it and thought it
was something in Windows.
I returned it to the retailer who said the BIOS was stuck (kapot in Dutch)
After a few weeks they returned it and claimed to have fixed it but after
installing , nothing had changed :still no bios etc. I quickly mailed them
about this and today after my holiday they answered that they've tested it
and it worked with their materials and that the problem must be somewhere in
my pc.I changed my graphics card and swithed cpu's with my other pc : no
change and the other pc did'nt break down.
I have flashed my bios reguraly: always the latest one available and if I am
correct the latest one was a beta bios(now looking on the asus site I see
no beta biosses not even in history)but maybe I 'm wrong about that and I
flashed it to 1007 I have no way of checking this.
I always flashed in windows though ,but I've done it dozens of times on
various pc's.
The point is that I have no idea what my retailer actually "repaired" , I
hope to hear this tomorrow.
In the meantime I hope any of you guys or girls have any idea what the
problem might be.
Thanks in advance,
François

specs
p4pe intel 845 fsb 533 ddr 333 sound and lan on board
1042mb memory
maxtor and wd hd's
2.4 ghz p4
creative soundblaster

KOzOK

Distinguished
May 8, 2004

"franswa" <franswa@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> Hello there
> , in mid use my pc froze and after resetting there was absolutely nothing
,
> I mean no bios, no signal to the monitor,no booting . Prior to this I had
> noticed that (while working on my other pc )that the screen sometimes
went
> black just for a second I did'nt pay much attention to it and thought it
> was something in Windows.
> I returned it to the retailer who said the BIOS was stuck (kapot in Dutch)
> After a few weeks they returned it and claimed to have fixed it but after
> installing , nothing had changed :still no bios etc. I quickly mailed them
> about this and today after my holiday they answered that they've tested it
> and it worked with their materials and that the problem must be somewhere
in
> my pc.I changed my graphics card and swithed cpu's with my other pc : no
> change and the other pc did'nt break down.
> I have flashed my bios reguraly: always the latest one available and if I
am
> correct the latest one was a beta bios(now looking on the asus site I see
> no beta biosses not even in history)but maybe I 'm wrong about that and I
> flashed it to 1007 I have no way of checking this.
> I always flashed in windows though ,but I've done it dozens of times on
> various pc's.
> The point is that I have no idea what my retailer actually "repaired" , I
> hope to hear this tomorrow.
> In the meantime I hope any of you guys or girls have any idea what the
> problem might be.
> Thanks in advance,
> François

Have you tried switching power supplies? Are the fans turning on? Try
clearing your CMOS, and if that dosent help, rule out power button by
shoring 2 pins (for 1/2 a second) on your mobo where power button is
connected, to see if that starts up your system. Also make sure ram, cpu
and v-card is seated properly. On my P4PE-BP my on-board Lan died, and
midway through windows bootup it crashed. Board runs fine i just had to
disable on-board LAN in bios. Also that reminds me DO NOT flash your bios
just because. It's just asking for trouble.

KOzOK

Hallo,
Thanks for your reaction ,yes I tried all that(except from checking the ram
modules , these things just don't break down, lifetime quarantee etc) before
returning it to the shop . By chance(not installing all 3 ram modules just
one) I found the cause of my problems : a 256mb kingston ddr module had
broke down . I absolutely did not know this could have such a dramatic
effect . Well something learned again.
Greetings François
"KOzOK" <no@spam.net> schreef in bericht

> "franswa" <franswa@zonnet.nl> wrote in message
> > Hello there
> > , in mid use my pc froze and after resetting there was absolutely
nothing
> ,
> > I mean no bios, no signal to the monitor,no booting . Prior to this I
had
> > noticed that (while working on my other pc )that the screen sometimes
> went
> > black just for a second I did'nt pay much attention to it and thought
it
> > was something in Windows.
> > I returned it to the retailer who said the BIOS was stuck (kapot in
Dutch)
> > After a few weeks they returned it and claimed to have fixed it but
after
> > installing , nothing had changed :still no bios etc. I quickly mailed
them
> > about this and today after my holiday they answered that they've tested
it
> > and it worked with their materials and that the problem must be
somewhere
> in
> > my pc.I changed my graphics card and swithed cpu's with my other pc : no
> > change and the other pc did'nt break down.
> > I have flashed my bios reguraly: always the latest one available and if
> am
> > correct the latest one was a beta bios(now looking on the asus site I
see
> > no beta biosses not even in history)but maybe I 'm wrong about that and
> > flashed it to 1007 I have no way of checking this.
> > I always flashed in windows though ,but I've done it dozens of times on
> > various pc's.
> > The point is that I have no idea what my retailer actually "repaired" ,
> > hope to hear this tomorrow.
> > In the meantime I hope any of you guys or girls have any idea what the
> > problem might be.
> > Thanks in advance,
> > François
>

> Have you tried switching power supplies? Are the fans turning on? Try
> clearing your CMOS, and if that dosent help, rule out power button by
> shoring 2 pins (for 1/2 a second) on your mobo where power button is
> connected, to see if that starts up your system. Also make sure ram, cpu
> and v-card is seated properly. On my P4PE-BP my on-board Lan died, and
> midway through windows bootup it crashed. Board runs fine i just had to
> disable on-board LAN in bios. Also that reminds me DO NOT flash your bios
> just because. It's just asking for trouble.
>
> KOzOK

TRENDING THREADS