It appears from what I saw on the Asus home page that the p4pe fsb 533 can
be stepped up to fsb800 by changing the bios. Is this true, or am I
misreading the table they have on their web page.

thanks

dq

Paul

Splendid

In article <8PrRc.52083$gE.16443@pd7tw3no>, "RQ" <qurandc@shaw.ca> wrote:

> It appears from what I saw on the Asus home page that the p4pe fsb 533 can
> be stepped up to fsb800 by changing the bios. Is this true, or am I
> misreading the table they have on their web page.
>
> thanks
>
> dq

There is more info here:

http://usa.asus.com/products/mb/fsb800.htm

This is one of the few boards that got official overclocking
support after the board was in production for a while.

Ignore the section that talks about changing the multiplier,
as Intel P4 retail processors are locked.

The kicker is, in this configuration, the memory bus only
supports one double sided DDR400 stick of RAM. This is due to
electrical limitations of the chipset and bus. For most
ordinary budgets, that gives you a 512MB double sided DIMM,
as your system memory.

The datasheet for the 845PE states it supports 512mbit chip
technology, with chips either x8 or x16 wide. So, a 1GB
double sided module made from (16) 64Mx8 chips will work, but
the cheaper "stacked" modules made from 128Mx4 won't work.
If you go shopping for a single 1GB PC3200 module, to run
with your FSB800 processor, either buy it from a reputable
manufacturer, like Crucial, Kingston, or even Corsairmicro
has some now, or if you go for a generic from Pricewatch,
get a money back guarantee that it isn't "stacked" x4 memory.
Most of the 1GB modules in Pricewatch are the wrong kind for
you.

HTH,
Paul