chkdsk c: /r delivers: "cannot open the volume for direct ..

Dear All,

I am flummoxed and horrified! My machine is short of four months old;
I'm running Windows XP Home. I have run chkdsk c: /r a few times. No
problems.

When I last ran it, I had to reboot a second time before chkdsk would
start; I htought little of it.

Today, I rebooted four times, and still it wouldn't run; instead I got
a four-line error message. It looked very much like this:

Cannot open volume for direct access.
The type of the file system is NTFS.
IFSUTIL: Can't open drive. Status returned = c0000043.
Windows has finished checking the disk.

(I'm not sure the thrid line is exactly the same, but the rest is.)

I used Help And Support to search, and found a singularly unhelpful
article, I couldn't see the article number, but was prompted to save
it as a Help and Suipport Favorite, which I did. Then I got onto
Google,and from there, went to the MIcrosoft Knowledge Base, and found
this inane, seemingly (to me) insane, article!

Here's the URL for the article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823439&Product=winxp

I found out it's #832439. It's dated 8/14/2003. Gosh! That's a while
ago! MIcrosoft has provided no solution since then?

How can I check my drive c:? I had just run chkdsk d: /r (my second
hard drive), without difficulties. (Microsoft says this is a known
problem with XP Home and XP Pro. But seems to do nothing about it!)

I did try suggested solutions given for Windows NT, but they didn't
make any difference. I took careful notes about what, in Local
Services, I changed from Automatic to Manual; then I changed them back
again to what they were before. I haven't installed any new programs
that I'm aware of that might have changed how my machine behaves, with
one single exception; that's the one at www.grc.com that disables
Universal Plug N Play (it closes port 5000, and I understand that's a
NETWORK component of Plug N Play; my local Plug N Play continues to
work without a hitch; I'm not on any network, and my network
capability, on the motherboard, is disabled. I'm sure I've run chkdsk
at least 8 times since I got the machine.)

Hmm. Can I run just "chkdsk c:" without the /r switch, and get a
report of some kind? I've tried to find out how to get chkdsk d: /r to
deliver a report I can examine, but can't find any! My Event Logs will
show a report on chkdsk c: /r - after chkdsk-initiated reboot, under
Application, if I right-click and select Properties, on "WinLogon."

Anyway, what can I do to make sure my disk is okay? I'm usng NTFS, and
the power went off last week for a second or so; my machine rebooted,
and I didn't run chkdsk then because I was waiting for a respons from
my dealer (which never came; well; it was the weekend).

Almali del Benian

Richard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Almali del Benian" <adbenian@islandnet.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> I am flummoxed and horrified! My machine is short of four months old;
> I'm running Windows XP Home. I have run chkdsk c: /r a few times. No
> problems.
>
> When I last ran it, I had to reboot a second time before chkdsk would
> start; I htought little of it.
>
> Today, I rebooted four times, and still it wouldn't run; instead I got
> a four-line error message. It looked very much like this:
>
> Cannot open volume for direct access.
> The type of the file system is NTFS.
> IFSUTIL: Can't open drive. Status returned = c0000043.
> Windows has finished checking the disk.
>
> (I'm not sure the thrid line is exactly the same, but the rest is.)
>
> I used Help And Support to search, and found a singularly unhelpful
> article, I couldn't see the article number, but was prompted to save
> it as a Help and Suipport Favorite, which I did. Then I got onto
> Google,and from there, went to the MIcrosoft Knowledge Base, and found
> this inane, seemingly (to me) insane, article!
>
> Here's the URL for the article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;823439&Product=winxp

> I found out it's #832439. It's dated 8/14/2003. Gosh! That's a while
> ago! MIcrosoft has provided no solution since then?
>
> How can I check my drive c:? I had just run chkdsk d: /r (my second
> hard drive), without difficulties. (Microsoft says this is a known
> problem with XP Home and XP Pro. But seems to do nothing about it!)
>
> I did try suggested solutions given for Windows NT, but they didn't
> make any difference. I took careful notes about what, in Local
> Services, I changed from Automatic to Manual; then I changed them back
> again to what they were before. I haven't installed any new programs
> that I'm aware of that might have changed how my machine behaves, with
> one single exception; that's the one at www.grc.com that disables
> Universal Plug N Play (it closes port 5000, and I understand that's a
> NETWORK component of Plug N Play; my local Plug N Play continues to
> work without a hitch; I'm not on any network, and my network
> capability, on the motherboard, is disabled. I'm sure I've run chkdsk
> at least 8 times since I got the machine.)
>
> Hmm. Can I run just "chkdsk c:" without the /r switch, and get a
> report of some kind? I've tried to find out how to get chkdsk d: /r to
> deliver a report I can examine, but can't find any! My Event Logs will
> show a report on chkdsk c: /r - after chkdsk-initiated reboot, under
> Application, if I right-click and select Properties, on "WinLogon."
>
> Anyway, what can I do to make sure my disk is okay? I'm usng NTFS, and
> the power went off last week for a second or so; my machine rebooted,
> and I didn't run chkdsk then because I was waiting for a respons from
> my dealer (which never came; well; it was the weekend).
>

> Almali del Benian

You could try running Chkdsk with /x this should free the drive. Failing
that uninstall Zone Alarm V 5 if you have it on your computer. Then revert
to V 4.5. See other posts on this subject yesterday and before.

Richard.

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:46:21 +0100, "Richard"
<hawkinsfamily3@DIGITbtinternet.com> wrote:

>You could try running Chkdsk with /x this should free the drive.

Great! I'll try that!

and also;:

> Failing
>that uninstall Zone Alarm V 5 if you have it on your computer. Then revert
>to V 4.5. See other posts on this subject yesterday and before.
>
>Richard.

Oh! I haven't been following this group lately; too busy, but I'll
check back. And I'm a member of the ZoneAlarm forums; I'll check in
there too!

Yes; I'm running the free ZoneAlarm 5. <hehe; how did you guess?>

I am infinitely grateful to you and all others who have been working
this out! I'll also let my dealer know, because he actually finds my
(very limited) "research" cability helpful, he says; he doesn't have
time to track all this down, most of the time; however, he helped me
learn to!

Thank you all for great microsoft newsgroups! And, Richard, in
particular, for you FAST reply!

Off to nivestigate a bit further, ready to go back to the previous
ZoneAlarm - uh, oh; I fear I deleted the previous version; well, I
should be able to get it back (I don't very often delete previous
versions; that'll teach me!)

Almali del Benian

Richard, and All,

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:46:21 +0100, "Richard"
<hawkinsfamily3@DIGITbtinternet.com> wrote:

>You could try running Chkdsk with /x this should free the drive. Failing
>that uninstall Zone Alarm V 5 if you have it on your computer. Then revert
>to V 4.5. See other posts on this subject yesterday and before.
>
>Richard.

I went to the ZoneAlarm forums. Oh, my! Lots of problems with version
5. I didn't hang around. I uninstalled version 5, and when I followed
the prompt to reboot after the uninstall, chkdsk c: /r ran. So *that*
problem is fixed. I didn't need to save my ZoneAlarm settings; it's
not that hard nor onerous to reconfigure, so I saved nothing.

But I didn't do any manual cleaning-out, so I'll be watching to see
what happens, and if I get suspicious, I can always uninstall version
4.5 (which I had available in my download directory), clean it out,
and install again.

So now all appears fine; the chkdsk went well, no problems.

Thank you so much!

Almali del Benian

Hi;

You might like to review M/S KB article #160963.

I had a similar problem and ran chkntfs /d in a command window & it fixed
the problem for me.

--
Have a good day,

Mel Marcovitz

"Richard" <hawkinsfamily3@DIGITbtinternet.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> >
> > Hmm. Can I run just "chkdsk c:" without the /r switch, and get a
> > report of some kind? I've tried to find out how to get chkdsk d: /r to
> > deliver a report I can examine, but can't find any! My Event Logs will
> > show a report on chkdsk c: /r - after chkdsk-initiated reboot, under
> > Application, if I right-click and select Properties, on "WinLogon."
> >
> > Anyway, what can I do to make sure my disk is okay? I'm usng NTFS, and
> > the power went off last week for a second or so; my machine rebooted,
> > and I didn't run chkdsk then because I was waiting for a respons from
> > my dealer (which never came; well; it was the weekend).
> >

> > Almali del Benian
>

> You could try running Chkdsk with /x this should free the drive. Failing
> that uninstall Zone Alarm V 5 if you have it on your computer. Then revert
> to V 4.5. See other posts on this subject yesterday and before.

HI Mel,

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:02:15 -0400, "Mel Marcovitz"
<mel.marcovitz@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Hi;
>
>You might like to review M/S KB article #160963.
>
>I had a similar problem and ran chkntfs /d in a command window & it fixed
>the problem for me.

Thanks! My problem appears fixed, but I really need to keep learning,
so I'll check that out.

It will be work, because I don't know how to call up a specific
article! Care to tel me? <blush!>

Almali del Benian

Hi{

Go to M/S support site & do a search for 160963.

Try this HTML:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160963

--
Have a good day,

Mel Marcovitz
> HI Mel,
>
> On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 21:02:15 -0400, "Mel Marcovitz"
> <mel.marcovitz@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> >Hi;
> >
> >You might like to review M/S KB article #160963.
> >
> >I had a similar problem and ran chkntfs /d in a command window & it fixed
> >the problem for me.
>
> Thanks! My problem appears fixed, but I really need to keep learning,
> so I'll check that out.
>
> It will be work, because I don't know how to call up a specific
> article! Care to tel me? <blush!>
>

> Almali del Benian

Mel,

>Go to M/S support site & do a search for 160963.
>
>Try this HTML:
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;160963

Thanks! I have always been impossible at searching for anything, and
still hugely lack confidence. But I did start somewhere at Microsoft,
and found the Search for articles area, and I did find the article
that way!

Almali del Benian

"Almali del Benian" <adbenian@islandnet.com> wrote in message news:sn3tb0d42fe68n1547nh1cdjsf82kask2h@4ax.com...
> It will be work, because I don't know how to call up a specific
> article! Care to tel me? <blush!>

How to jump to the specific KB: bookmark this link
;kbjump]http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[LN];kbjump

--PA

HI PA,

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004 14:52:54 +0300, "Pavel A." <pavel_a@geeklife.com>
wrote:

>"Almali del Benian" <adbenian@islandnet.com> wrote in message news:sn3tb0d42fe68n1547nh1cdjsf82kask2h@4ax.com...
>> It will be work, because I don't know how to call up a specific
>> article! Care to tel me? <blush!>
>
>How to jump to the specific KB: bookmark this link
>http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=fh;[LN];kbjump

I'm saving your post, and Mel's too, and will try all the links. That
will really help me learn to find things better. Thanks so much, both
of you!

P.S. I'm so tired after yesterday's efforts I can't remember if I
reported back. So my apologies if this is a repeat.

I went to the ZoneAlarm forums, and there were lots of posts about
ZoneAlarm 5 and its problems. There was one that gave very specific
instructions about uninstalling version 5, downloading the installer
for the previous version (4.5), and installing that.

At least I'm familiar enough with ZoneAlarm (free version) so I didn't
need to save my settings. I still had the previous installer, so
didn't have to download it again.

So, I uninstalled version 5, and when I rebooted out of the prompt,
chkdsk c: /r ran right away. All was copecetic on my disk! Whew! Huge
relief!

Of course, after I installed version 4.5, it prompted me to update. I
clicked on the only reasonable choice: Remind me later, and selected
the longest period available: 60 daze.

So all I had to do after that was give ZoneAlarm the required
permissions so I can connect.

Whew! relief!

Thanks again for all your help!

>--PA