P4P800-E Deluxe and Kingston HyperX KHX3200A/512

Hi

I've got the two mentioned Memory Modules in my MB.
It's necessary to adjust the DRAM values in the BIOS _manually_ or is 'auto'
ok?

TIA
More about p4p800 deluxe kingston hyperx khx3200a

    In article <2nncleF2kiauU2@uni-berlin.de>, "Peter Wagner"
    <NG.Basket.PeeWaa@xoxy.net> wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > I've got the two mentioned Memory Modules in my MB.
    > It's necessary to adjust the DRAM values in the BIOS _manually_ or is 'auto'
    > ok?
    >
    > TIA

    Use the Auto setting, then use a Windows utility to verify the
    memory timings. Compare the values to the values printed on the
    retail packaging. If the timing values seen are not correct, use
    manual mode to set them up correctly.

    The SPD on the DIMM determines what happens when the Auto setting
    is used. Many memory module manufacturers don't state what is in
    the SPD.

    If you want to see an example of what is stored in the SPD, see
    page 28 of this document, a datasheet for a 512MB double sided
    memory module:

    http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr/DDA16C32_64_128x64AG.pdf

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <2nncleF2kiauU2@uni-berlin.de>, "Peter Wagner"
    > <NG.Basket.PeeWaa@xoxy.net> wrote:

    Thank you your for your answer.

    > Use the Auto setting, then use a Windows utility to verify the
    > memory timings. Compare the values to the values printed on the
    > retail packaging. If the timing values seen are not correct, use
    > manual mode to set them up correctly.

    Do you know a free Windows utility?

    > The SPD on the DIMM determines what happens when the Auto setting
    > is used. Many memory module manufacturers don't state what is in
    > the SPD.

    What means SPD?

    > If you want to see an example of what is stored in the SPD, see
    > page 28 of this document, a datasheet for a 512MB double sided
    > memory module:

    http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr/DDA16C32_64_128x64AG.pdf

    Thanks.

    In article <2nrklvF41duuU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Peter Wagner"
    <NG.Basket.PeeWaa@xoxy.net> wrote:

    > Paul wrote:
    > > In article <2nncleF2kiauU2@uni-berlin.de>, "Peter Wagner"
    > > <NG.Basket.PeeWaa@xoxy.net> wrote:
    > >

    > Thank you your for your answer.
    >

    > > Use the Auto setting, then use a Windows utility to verify the
    > > memory timings. Compare the values to the values printed on the
    > > retail packaging. If the timing values seen are not correct, use
    > > manual mode to set them up correctly.
    >
    > Do you know a free Windows utility?

    http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php (click "Memory")
    Sample picture of memory info:
    http://www.abxzone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7213

    > > The SPD on the DIMM determines what happens when the Auto setting
    > > is used. Many memory module manufacturers don't state what is in
    > > the SPD.
    >
    > What means SPD?

    Is is called Serial Presence Detect. It is a small, electrically
    erasable 8 pin device, with a serial interface on it called
    "I squared C". The processor uses the serial SMBUS (system management
    bus) to query this device on each DIMM. The SPD chip contains the
    timing information for the memory, and that is how the BIOS knows
    what to do, when the memory is set in the BIOS to [By SPD].

    Since the SMBUS is separate from the memory bus, the memory does
    not even have to be working, for the BIOS to be able to read the
    SPD chip. Once the timings are set up on the memory, then the
    memory bus is enabled for normal business.

    > > If you want to see an example of what is stored in the SPD, see
    > > page 28 of this document, a datasheet for a 512MB double sided
    > > memory module:
    > >

    > http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr/DDA16C32_64_128x64AG.pdf
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > > HTH,
    > > Paul

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul wrote:
    > In article <2nrklvF41duuU1@uni-berlin.de>, "Peter Wagner"
    > <NG.Basket.PeeWaa@xoxy.net> wrote:
    >

    >> Do you know a free Windows utility?
    >
    > http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php (click "Memory")
    > Sample picture of memory info:
    > http://www.abxzone.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7213

    Thanks for the Links.

    >>> The SPD on the DIMM determines what happens when the Auto setting
    >>> is used. Many memory module manufacturers don't state what is in
    >>> the SPD.
    >>
    >> What means SPD?
    >
    > Is is called Serial Presence Detect. It is a small, electrically
    > erasable 8 pin device, with a serial interface on it called
    > "I squared C". The processor uses the serial SMBUS (system management
    > bus) to query this device on each DIMM. The SPD chip contains the
    > timing information for the memory, and that is how the BIOS knows
    > what to do, when the memory is set in the BIOS to [By SPD].
    >
    > Since the SMBUS is separate from the memory bus, the memory does
    > not even have to be working, for the BIOS to be able to read the
    > SPD chip. Once the timings are set up on the memory, then the
    > memory bus is enabled for normal business.

    Thanks for your explanations.

    > HTH,
    > Paul

Asus Kingston Memory Motherboards