Primary Slave HDD Error

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have two harddisks on my computer and they have been working fine until
now. All of a sudden, I have a "Primary Slave HDD Error" upon bootup, my
data disk is no longer accessible. The harddisk is detectable through Bios
and it makes clicking sound, so seems it does spin but I just can't access
it.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!!
MJ
mjdbtcb@hotmail.com
5 answers Last reply
More about primary slave error

    Translation of clicking sound = I'M DEAD

  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    Sounds like the harddrive failed and is due for replacement.

    --
    DaveW

    "mjdb" <mjdbtcb@thotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have two harddisks on my computer and they have been working fine until
    > now. All of a sudden, I have a "Primary Slave HDD Error" upon bootup, my
    > data disk is no longer accessible. The harddisk is detectable through Bios
    > and it makes clicking sound, so seems it does spin but I just can't access
    > it.
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thank you!!
    > MJ
    > mjdbtcb@hotmail.com

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    I have two Questions for you about this drive...
    1. What Brand is it, Seagate, Maxtor, WD, Samsung, etc...???
    2. What is the GB size of the drive?

    I have had this happen to me with a Maxtor 20GB drive. BIOS saw the
    drive, but got a Primary Slave Fails error, I was able to Read and
    Write to the drive but that was it. I could not boot from it or
    anything else. I Called Maxtor and we tried everything to get it to
    work, in the end it ends up the on-board controller went out on the
    drive... Go Figure with a Maxtor that is thing that always happens.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "mjdb" <mjdbtcb@thotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I have two harddisks on my computer and they have been working fine until
    > now. All of a sudden, I have a "Primary Slave HDD Error" upon bootup, my
    > data disk is no longer accessible. The harddisk is detectable through Bios
    > and it makes clicking sound, so seems it does spin but I just can't access
    > it.
    > Any suggestions?

    Oh dear, dead drive. Check to see whether it's still under guarantee. Hope
    you remembered the magic word (and deed) backup.
    www.coribright.com
  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

    "Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message news:<_1yvc.21381$be.2149@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
    > "mjdb" <mjdbtcb@thotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > it makes clicking sound
    > Oh dear, dead drive. Check to see whether it's still under guarantee. Hope
    > you remembered the magic word (and deed) backup.

    heh... dead indeed... There was a hard drive at my High School (which
    i happily just graduated from) that had similar problems... they ended
    up throwing it out and putting in a new one... they lost any data that
    was on it... again, a key issue on any system is that magical word,
    backup. Unless its still under guaranee (or if you know a LOT about
    hard drive repair), you're kinda screwed.

Hardware Hard Drives Windows XP