Primary Slave HDD Error

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have two harddisks on my computer and they have been working fine until
now. All of a sudden, I have a "Primary Slave HDD Error" upon bootup, my
data disk is no longer accessible. The harddisk is detectable through Bios
and it makes clicking sound, so seems it does spin but I just can't access
it.
Any suggestions?
Thank you!!
MJ
mjdbtcb@hotmail.com

Translation of clicking sound = I'M DEAD

Sounds like the harddrive failed and is due for replacement.

--
DaveW

"mjdb" <mjdbtcb@thotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have two harddisks on my computer and they have been working fine until
> now. All of a sudden, I have a "Primary Slave HDD Error" upon bootup, my
> data disk is no longer accessible. The harddisk is detectable through Bios
> and it makes clicking sound, so seems it does spin but I just can't access
> it.
> Any suggestions?
> Thank you!!
> MJ
> mjdbtcb@hotmail.com

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

I have two Questions for you about this drive...
1. What Brand is it, Seagate, Maxtor, WD, Samsung, etc...???
2. What is the GB size of the drive?

I have had this happen to me with a Maxtor 20GB drive. BIOS saw the
drive, but got a Primary Slave Fails error, I was able to Read and
Write to the drive but that was it. I could not boot from it or
anything else. I Called Maxtor and we tried everything to get it to
work, in the end it ends up the on-board controller went out on the
drive... Go Figure with a Maxtor that is thing that always happens.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware (More info?)

"mjdb" <mjdbtcb@thotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have two harddisks on my computer and they have been working fine until
> now. All of a sudden, I have a "Primary Slave HDD Error" upon bootup, my
> data disk is no longer accessible. The harddisk is detectable through Bios
> and it makes clicking sound, so seems it does spin but I just can't access
> it.
> Any suggestions?

Oh dear, dead drive. Check to see whether it's still under guarantee. Hope
you remembered the magic word (and deed) backup.
www.coribright.com

"Cari" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message news:<_1yvc.21381$be.2149@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>...
> "mjdb" <mjdbtcb@thotmail.com> wrote in message
> > it makes clicking sound
> Oh dear, dead drive. Check to see whether it's still under guarantee. Hope
> you remembered the magic word (and deed) backup.

heh... dead indeed... There was a hard drive at my High School (which
i happily just graduated from) that had similar problems... they ended
up throwing it out and putting in a new one... they lost any data that
was on it... again, a key issue on any system is that magical word,
backup. Unless its still under guaranee (or if you know a LOT about
hard drive repair), you're kinda screwed.