Anyone using an IDE Controller card with A7N8X-E delux?

When I attach a HD to the card, the system won't boot. HD is detected
OK. A floppy for example, makes the usual noises and motions as it
prepares to boot but always stops short of actually booting.

If I attach a CD-ROM drive, the system boots OK.

Have tried two types of controller card so far - same result.

If anyone has had more joy, please tell me what you are using

thanx
jd
11 answers Last reply
More about anyone controller card a7n8x delux

    In article <41pdh09mjuvs4apou9oqdg8nkk4n37u5tg@4ax.com>,
    jdean@nowhere.soon, Jimmy Dean says...

    > When I attach a HD to the card, the system won't boot. HD is detected
    > OK. A floppy for example, makes the usual noises and motions as it
    > prepares to boot but always stops short of actually booting.
    >
    > If I attach a CD-ROM drive, the system boots OK.
    >
    > Have tried two types of controller card so far - same result.
    >
    > If anyone has had more joy, please tell me what you are using
    >
    > thanx
    > jd

    What kind of card is it? I have a Silicon card and when I attached an
    extra drive it assigned it as the primary (IDE0) drive, hence, looking
    for boot files. When I removed I got my OS back. Since than all I have
    is attached is CD Roms.
    You may want to check the assignement order of the drive......

    "Jimmy Dean" <jdean@nowhere.soon> wrote in message
    > When I attach a HD to the card, the system won't boot. HD is detected
    > OK. A floppy for example, makes the usual noises and motions as it
    > prepares to boot but always stops short of actually booting.
    >
    > If I attach a CD-ROM drive, the system boots OK.
    >
    > Have tried two types of controller card so far - same result.
    >
    > If anyone has had more joy, please tell me what you are using
    >
    > thanx
    > jd

    I'm using an A7N8X Dlx and the last BIOS update added the
    choice of booting from SCSI or SATA. I would check in the
    BIOS if you haven't and set it to scsi.

    Jim M

    I'm using a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 in my A7N8X-E Deluxe, BIOS version 1008.
    I have a HD and a Zip drive attached. No problems whatsover. Have you
    double checked your HD jumper settings?

    "Jimmy Dean" <jdean@nowhere.soon> wrote in message
    > When I attach a HD to the card, the system won't boot. HD is detected
    > OK. A floppy for example, makes the usual noises and motions as it
    > prepares to boot but always stops short of actually booting.
    >
    > If I attach a CD-ROM drive, the system boots OK.
    >
    > Have tried two types of controller card so far - same result.
    >
    > If anyone has had more joy, please tell me what you are using
    >
    > thanx
    > jd

    This can be due to your BIOS settings.

    In the BIOS have you set the first hard drive (HDD-0 - or SCSI if your drive
    is connected to SATA) as your boot drive ?
    Your floppy drive, if you wish to boot from it ?

    In article <GSCRc.14024$cK.10693@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
    markdpend@spambegone.aol.com, mdp says...

    > I'm using a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 in my A7N8X-E Deluxe, BIOS version 1008.
    > I have a HD and a Zip drive attached. No problems whatsover. Have you
    > double checked your HD jumper settings?

    One of the reasons why I bought the promise card (I have the same
    model), it works correctly and assignes HD order properly. I can almost
    bet he/she bought a Sil card...... :0)

    "JBM" <jmanning95@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de

    > "Jimmy Dean" <jdean@nowhere.soon> wrote in message
    > > When I attach a HD to the card, the system won't boot. HD is detected
    > > OK. A floppy for example, makes the usual noises and motions as it
    > > prepares to boot but always stops short of actually booting.
    > >
    > > If I attach a CD-ROM drive, the system boots OK.
    > >
    > > Have tried two types of controller card so far - same result.
    > >
    > > If anyone has had more joy, please tell me what you are using
    > >
    > > thanx
    > > jd
    > >

    > I'm using an A7N8X Dlx and the last BIOS update added the
    > choice of booting from SCSI or SATA. I would check in the
    > BIOS if you haven't and set it to scsi.
    >
    > Jim M

    The E-DeLuxe BIOS only gives a choice of HDD-x or SCSI (SATA).

    I have:

    A7N8X-E Deluxe
    Promisse FastTrack100 with 2x 120GB Samsung @ RAID1 as system drive
    120GB Samsung @ onboard Controller as temp drive
    SATA disabled

    No Problem to boot from the Promise!
    Just set the BIOS to boot SCSI.
    (everything not in the chipset is "SCSI" for the BIOS)

    my BOOT order:

    first drive: floppy
    second drive: CD-ROM
    third drive: SCSI
    boot other: disabled

    read you!
    KALLE
    --

    see http://www.jump.net/~lcs/kalle/ for T2P4 and some other outdated information.

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 12:43:34 +1000, Jimmy Dean <jdean@nowhere.soon>
    wrote:

    >When I attach a HD to the card, the system won't boot. HD is detected
    >OK. A floppy for example, makes the usual noises and motions as it
    >prepares to boot but always stops short of actually booting.
    >
    >If I attach a CD-ROM drive, the system boots OK.
    >
    >Have tried two types of controller card so far - same result.
    >
    >If anyone has had more joy, please tell me what you are using
    >
    >thanx
    >jd

    Thanx to all the responses. I should clarify that I wish to boot from
    a parallel ATA HD attached to the on-board Primary IDE controller.

    The IDE controller card was for attaching a couple extra HDs (I have 8
    in all, 4x HDs, and 3x CD/DVD drives). So I do not wish to boot from
    these - if I did I presume I would set the boot order to be SCSI
    first.

    Yes, the two controllers I have tried have both been Silicon brand.

    I would have liked to get the Promise e.g. ATA 100 TX2, but as it is
    much more expensive, it would have had to be specially ordered.

    Anyway it anyone is interested, this is the final config I came up
    with: W = Western Digital 8 MB (JB or JD, pATA or SATA resp.).

    I wasn't too fussed on using the legacy to SATA power splitter which
    came in the A7N8X-E dlx pack (have had bad experiences with splitters
    and HDs in the past), but then I found WD HDs have both legacy and
    SATA power connectors!

    HD W80B as Primary IDE Master (SYSTEM, APPS, DATA, DOWN partitions)
    HD W160A as Primary IDE Slave (BACKUP drive)
    HD WS120A as SATA1 (PROCESS and ARCHIVE partitions)
    HD WS120A as SATA2 (DVDRIP drive)
    LiteOn XJ-HD166S 16x DVD-ROM as Secondary IDE Master
    HD W120A as removeable backup hard-disk (REM_HD drive)
    Pioneer DVR-A05 as IDE Controller card Primary Master
    LiteOn LTR-48125S CD-RW as IDE Controller card Primary Slave

    The CD/DVD burners seem to work OK on the cheapie controller card,
    though I have yet to test them thoroughly. Slow to detect in POST -
    probably adds 10-15 s to the bootup time.

    cheers
    jd

    In article <5cfjh0daiu20vs7sghhp46enc3b2qmurqe@4ax.com>,
    jdean@nowhere.soon, Jimmy Dean says...

    > Thanx to all the responses. I should clarify that I wish to boot from
    > a parallel ATA HD attached to the on-board Primary IDE controller.
    >
    > The IDE controller card was for attaching a couple extra HDs (I have 8
    > in all, 4x HDs, and 3x CD/DVD drives). So I do not wish to boot from
    > these - if I did I presume I would set the boot order to be SCSI
    > first.
    >
    > Yes, the two controllers I have tried have both been Silicon brand.

    Good luck than because I have been back & forth with Siig about the same
    issue you are discussing when I bought mine, whereas the siig makes any
    HD connected to it the "Primary" IDE0 drive. IDE0 meaning the "boot
    drive".....I bet if you attach your HD W80B to the primary on the Siig
    your system will boot.
    If this is the case than I do not know how to make the Siig an "Extra"
    IDE controller, which is what the Promise does and does not take over
    your drive order. Maybe disabling the BIOS on the Sil card, I'm not sure
    as I never got that far (to frustrated) I gave up after Siig could not
    help me, so since than I've attached a CD, DVD burner, & a DVD player (3
    items) to the Siig and all works perfect & fast.

    BTW: I have 6 HD's / 2 burners / a DVD Player / and a CD reader attached
    to my one machine with 2 PCI controllers cards installed. Believe me
    I've been through the ringer with this machine but it works perfect.

    Bottom line as to what I'm saying: I am not able to attach EXTRA HD's to
    the Siig period!

    On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 04:14:30 GMT, "mdp" <markdpend@spambegone.aol.com>
    wrote:

    >I'm using a Promise Ultra 100 TX2 in my A7N8X-E Deluxe, BIOS version 1008.
    >I have a HD and a Zip drive attached. No problems whatsover. Have you
    >double checked your HD jumper settings?

    Yes, no problem there

    jd

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:44:28 -0400, ByTor <ByTor@snowdog.com> wrote:

    >In article <5cfjh0daiu20vs7sghhp46enc3b2qmurqe@4ax.com>,
    >jdean@nowhere.soon, Jimmy Dean says...
    >Good luck than because I have been back & forth with Siig about the same
    >issue you are discussing when I bought mine, whereas the siig makes any
    >HD connected to it the "Primary" IDE0 drive. IDE0 meaning the "boot
    >drive".....I bet if you attach your HD W80B to the primary on the Siig
    >your system will boot.

    >If this is the case than I do not know how to make the Siig an "Extra"
    >IDE controller, which is what the Promise does and does not take over
    >your drive order. Maybe disabling the BIOS on the Sil card, I'm not sure
    >as I never got that far (to frustrated) I gave up after Siig could not
    >help me, so since than I've attached a CD, DVD burner, & a DVD player (3
    >items) to the Siig and all works perfect & fast.
    >
    >Bottom line as to what I'm saying: I am not able to attach EXTRA HD's to
    >the Siig period!

    That exactly agrees with my experience to date: Siig OK with CD/DVD,
    hopeless with HDs

    One other responder said that had no probs with a Promise ATA100 TX2
    controller and HDs.

    As usual, it's price,price,price...

    Thanx for your input

    jd