Which windows 7 version to get?!

Currently I am running Vista Home Premium 64-bit, its been a pretty decent experience overall, but when a game goes over 2gig or ram usage vista will just shut it down :fou: . Besides that I am looking to goto windows 7 because I am hearing so much about how much more stable and how much faster it is over vista, especially for games. So I have been looking at getting windows 7 full retail (version undecided) so I dont have to deal with OEM licencing problems when hardware is replaced. I definitly want the xp-mode so its up for 7 pro or ultimate. For the full retail versions its only a $10 difference. So should I just go with the ultimate? Also, does 7 really play games ALOT better or just a little?
5 answers Last reply
More about which windows version
  1. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-7-performance,2442.html

That should give you an idea of performance in comparison to Vista. In regard to the version, you might as well go with Ultimate for the minimal price difference.
  2. for a $10 dollar difference i would get ultimate, personally though i always buy oem
  3. Ultimate has the entertainment features of Home Premium and the business features of Professional, it costs something like 189.99
    i bought the OEM version of ultimate off newegg
  4. actually business has everything the home version has in addition to it's added features javascript:%20validform(this);
  5. shaggy2k7 said:
    So I have been looking at getting windows 7 full retail (version undecided) so I dont have to deal with OEM licencing problems when hardware is replaced. I definitly want the xp-mode so its up for 7 pro or ultimate. For the full retail versions its only a $10 difference. So should I just go with the ultimate? Also, does 7 really play games ALOT better or just a little?

You don't have to deal with licensing issues when hardware is replaced....only if you try and move it to an entirely different PC. I haven't seen any Win7 specific activation articles but back when this whole mess started, you pretty much had to chnage a whole lotta stuff to trigger a problem. I have talked to several user who upgrade entire systems over time to all new components, trick was they didn't do it all at once....did some, and then 3+ months later did rest.

"If the PC is not dockable and a network adapter exists and is not changed, 6 or more of the other above values would have to change before reactivation would be required. If a network adapter existed but is changed or never existed at all, 4 or more changes (including the changed network adapter if it previously existed) will require a reactivation. "

These are the things back from XP days....again, dunno if Win7 is different.

1. Display Adapter
    2. SCSI Adapter
    3. IDE Adapter
    4. Network Adapter MAC Address
    5. RAM Amount Range (i.e. 0-64MB, 64-128MB, etc)
    6. Processor Type
    7. Processor Serial Number
    8. Hard Drive Device
    9. Hard Drive Volume Serial Number
    10. CD-ROM / CD-RW / DVD-ROM

I bought the OEM Ultimate version cause it was like $10 difference on preorder but cost like $129 for an "anytime upgrade".
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows Vista Product