WinXP won't detect DVD-ROM and DVD+/-RW any more

June 3, 2004 1:26:40 AM

I just re-installed Windows XP Pro today to fix the
slowdown in Internet Explorer 6 after installing one of
the SP2 updates... I did a clean system installation,
first wiping the drive and then installing Windows from
my CDs.

Everything was working great until I restarted a couple
times after performing routine application installations
and suddenly the process of getting into Windows hung a
little bit longer than usual and, to my dismay, once I
was in I found that my DVD-ROM drive and my DVD+/-RW
drive were no longer being detected by Windows.

Drive C, D, and E were still there (my hard drives) ...
and trusty old drive A was there ... but Windows could no
longer pick up my F or G drives (my two cd-rom drives).

I did some research, and found that the VIA drivers for
my IDE channel sometimes caused this problem ... so I
swapped them for the standard drivers that came with
Windows (as recommended) ... and rebooted. Windows says
that it has installed the drives, but neither of them are
showing up in My Computer. I checked in the Device
Manager, and there is nothing there either ... not even
the CD-ROM Drives bullet item.

No one anywhere has a solid answer posted as to what I
can do to fix this issue. Everyone says that the drives
must be bad. They can't be ... I was using them in this
system in the exact same configuration yesterday and
everything was fine ... I even mounted the drives with
the same cables in different systems today to make sure
that they still worked (and they did).

I am so frustrated right now that I'm forced to leave my
problem in your hands. Please, someone have the answer...

Asus A7M266 Mainboard
Latest BIOS Revision - 1007

Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM Drive
Lite-On LDW-411S DVD+/-RW Drive
Scott
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 1:50:15 AM

CHeck when your computer is booting up that it shows
whether the drives are being detected(slave/ master). You
can try disconnecting the drives (both or one at a time)
and load windows then reboot and reconnect them to see if
windows detects them. If you say the drives are still in
perfect condition then just give the computer a good old
format and reinstall windows. It may be, what i have
dubbed, a "windows has gone stupid" problem.

June 3, 2004 3:26:33 AM

Hi,

Jason Tsang MVP wrote:

Goto http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers references for your cdrom(s))

Basically, the reg file from above carries out the steps displayed at this website in addition to removing some drivers that may have been used by older versions of Easy CD Creator that are known to cause problems with WinXP.

CD-ROM Access Is Missing and Messages Cite Error Code 31, Code 32, Code 19, or Code 39 After You Remove Easy CD Creator in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];q314060

Hope it helps.

Peter

----- Scott wrote: -----

[...]

June 3, 2004 5:43:26 AM

Scott wrote:
> I just re-installed Windows XP Pro today to fix the
> slowdown in Internet Explorer 6 after installing one of
> the SP2 updates... I did a clean system installation,
> first wiping the drive and then installing Windows from
> my CDs.
>
> Everything was working great until I restarted a couple
> times after performing routine application installations
> and suddenly the process of getting into Windows hung a
> little bit longer than usual and, to my dismay, once I
> was in I found that my DVD-ROM drive and my DVD+/-RW
> drive were no longer being detected by Windows.
>
> Drive C, D, and E were still there (my hard drives) ...
> and trusty old drive A was there ... but Windows could no
> longer pick up my F or G drives (my two cd-rom drives).
>
> I did some research, and found that the VIA drivers for
> my IDE channel sometimes caused this problem ... so I
> swapped them for the standard drivers that came with
> Windows (as recommended) ... and rebooted. Windows says
> that it has installed the drives, but neither of them are
> showing up in My Computer. I checked in the Device
> Manager, and there is nothing there either ... not even
> the CD-ROM Drives bullet item.
>
> No one anywhere has a solid answer posted as to what I
> can do to fix this issue. Everyone says that the drives
> must be bad. They can't be ... I was using them in this
> system in the exact same configuration yesterday and
> everything was fine ... I even mounted the drives with
> the same cables in different systems today to make sure
> that they still worked (and they did).
>
> I am so frustrated right now that I'm forced to leave my
> problem in your hands. Please, someone have the answer...
>
> Asus A7M266 Mainboard
> Latest BIOS Revision - 1007
>
> Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM Drive
> Lite-On LDW-411S DVD+/-RW Drive

Do NOT be afraid of the registry hack here.
It is SAFE and has helped MANY people.
Respect the registry, don't fear it.

1) Log on with Administrative Privileges

2) Open the Registry Editor:
a) Go to Start then select Run.
b) Type regedit and click OK.

3) Backup you registry by:
a) Highlight My Computer by clicking on it once.
b) Click File (Windows XP) or Registry (Windows 2000), then Export
Registry File.
c) Select export range All; to ensure your entire registry is backed up
completely.
d) Select where you would like to save this backup, name the File, and
Click on the SAVE button.

4) Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values:
a) Go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\
{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
b) Highlight this key by left clicking on it once.
c) On the right hand side delete the values Upperfilters and Lowerfilters.

5) Restart your computer.

Or try this:

http://www.dougknox.com/

Select 'Windows Utilities' and scroll down to 'Restore CD/DVD drives to
Windows Explorer.'
Perhaps his utility will do the trick. =)

--
<- Shenan ->