asus rma question

I have a asus p4p800 motherboard, for 6 months going strong.
One day there was a burning smell, my 400w power supply smoked.
I ordered a new 480w power supply, the system booted up for a couple secs.
and crashed, power supply went out again. I put the other periphs. in other
computer's no problems. I have 2 questions.

I see the warranty is for 3 years for the motherboard, but on the asus web
page, it needs to be looked at by a asus authorized service center, is this
absolute?

Has anybody seen this problem on asus motherboards? a component that
commonly may go out to cause this problem?

ME

Hello "steve stapf"
Back about March I had the same problem, new power supply went and took
parts with it. I got a replacement and it also went and took more parts with
it, now I've replaced about all the computer to try all over again. Asus not
only replaced the board under warranty but said that if I send it in they
would check it for free under the warranty. If you have an RMA from them for
the board send it in. Cost you $12-15.00 USPS Insured.
My Attorney is now going after the company for this. They already lost there
membership in BBB for it, and the Oregon State Attorney General has written
them. It was about 10 day's turnaround and make sure they give you the right
address to send it to as they had me send it to the wrong address.

Warning to all do not buy from NWCA.com, if it goes bad they ignore you
about it.
ME