Sign in with
Your question

Going from Vista Home Premium 32bit to Win 7 64 Bit

Last response: in Windows 7
January 18, 2011 8:52:52 PM

I must be dense and so are the Guys at Dell Software Support.....I was told I could do a Custom Install using the Upgrade Disk....but can't seem to get a straight answer. I have to start with the 32 bit Disk yes?...my machine won't boot the 64 bit Disk. I am currently running Vista Home Premium 32 Bit OS System. The 32 Upgrade Disk asked what type of Install do I want to do, Upgrade or Custom.....so what next? Can I install the 64 Bit Win 7 from the 32 Bit Disk....or do I have to do something else?
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2011 10:29:35 PM

Paging Bill Gates. There is no upgrade path from a 32 OS to a 64 bit OS. A fresh format and installation is required
m
l
January 18, 2011 11:11:40 PM

You'll need to have had a 64-bit version of Vista to run Windows 7 64 bit. There is additional information on the differences here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/32-bit-and-...

If you're running 32 bit Vista, you should be able to upgrade to 32 bit Windows 7.

-- Ryan
Windows Outreach Team
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 18, 2011 11:24:00 PM

Well, close. The Root People of the Amazon have spoken
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 19, 2011 12:36:41 AM

The 32 bit and 64 bit a 2 different disks, so no you can't use a 32 bit disk to install 64 bit.
To use custom or upgrade is your choice, ugrade you do from Windows and all you files and programs remain.
Custom you boot from the disk to upgrade but it's a clean install. The old Windows will be put in a folder called Windows.old where you can still access your files. All programs will need to be reinstalled.
m
l
January 26, 2011 7:52:46 PM

Thank you for the Responses......unfortunately I've already purchased and opened the Win 7 Upgrade Disks so I'm stuck with them. Can'r return opened Software, as far as I know. I'll just have to live with the 32 Bit Upgrade, which probably isn't the end of world. It would probably be more important to upgrade to 64 bit if I was a Gamer, which I'm not. It's just so aggravating to try and get the right answer from one's Computer Manufacturer before purchasing an upgrade and then get the WRONG ANSWER!!!!!! MORE THAN ONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
!