Samsung DVD-rom stopped working

Hi,
I have a Samsung DVD-rom SD-612 in my system. It stopped playing
DVD's a few months ago, then about a week abo it stopped playing
anything at all. Now to make it worse, if there's a CD in the DVD-rom
or in the CD-RW drive then the CD-RW drive does nto appear when I boot
up windows... I'm not as worried about the boot-up issue, but I
thought it might be related. I have checked the drivers for my DVD-rom
, and my graphics card, and they are both up to date. Does anybody
have any ideas?

What is shown in Device Manager for this drive? A new DVD drive can be
purchased for about $40.00.

"Steven Bush" <lt_grayson@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a Samsung DVD-rom SD-612 in my system. It stopped playing
> DVD's a few months ago, then about a week abo it stopped playing
> anything at all. Now to make it worse, if there's a CD in the DVD-rom
> or in the CD-RW drive then the CD-RW drive does nto appear when I boot
> up windows... I'm not as worried about the boot-up issue, but I
> thought it might be related. I have checked the drivers for my DVD-rom
> , and my graphics card, and they are both up to date. Does anybody
> have any ideas?

The device manager lists the correct hardware, but when I look closer
at the driver being use it claims it is a CD-ROM... and won't let me
change the driver...

On 4 Jun 2004 15:47:22 -0700, lt_grayson@earthlink.net (Steven Bush)
wrote:

>The device manager lists the correct hardware, but when I look closer
>at the driver being use it claims it is a CD-ROM... and won't let me
>change the driver...

Delete the device and reboot and get it re-detect it. I also suggest
you get a cleaning kit to clean out dust and other gunk that may have
collected in the drive.

Peter Hutchison