Linksys wireless network?

I have UK Wanadoo Broadband, a Linksys WAG54G, and a Linksys Wireless Network
Adaptor. I am replacing my Wanadoo Speedtouch modem with the WAG54G. It
connects to a PC running Win XP Home through a Linksys USB Network Adaptor
(Ethernet to USB). Another PC (also running Win XP Home) connects to the
network through the Wireless Network Adaptor.

The problem is, I can't get either computer to access the internet through
the WAG54G, only through my old Speedtouch Modem. I am a newbie to this sort
of thing, so any help would be appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about linksys wireless network

    You need to configure the WAG54G:-

    First get a wired connection working between your pc and WAG54G before
    trying the wireless.

    Using IE connect to 192.168.1.1 and setup the parameters to connect to your
    provider (username, password, VCI, VPI - the provider can tell you what
    values to use for these).

    You might want to check IE.Tools InternetOptions.Connections Never dial a
    connection - is selected.

    I think that was all that was necessary. If you've done all that with no
    luck then try :-
    IE.Tools InternetOptions.Connections Add.. ConnectToTheNetworkViaBroadband

    If you stil have problems the turn off any firewall - just to test the
    etup - and gradually reintroduce rules to see which are causing you probs.

    In addition to all the above you will want change the admin password, set
    wireless encryption, SSID, etc asap.

    Hope this helps

    "Lobsterok" <Lobsterok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have UK Wanadoo Broadband, a Linksys WAG54G, and a Linksys Wireless
    >Network
    > Adaptor. I am replacing my Wanadoo Speedtouch modem with the WAG54G. It
    > connects to a PC running Win XP Home through a Linksys USB Network Adaptor
    > (Ethernet to USB). Another PC (also running Win XP Home) connects to the
    > network through the Wireless Network Adaptor.
    >
    > The problem is, I can't get either computer to access the internet through
    > the WAG54G, only through my old Speedtouch Modem. I am a newbie to this
    > sort
    > of thing, so any help would be appreciated.

    hi i have the same router....i just used the setup disk that comes with the
    router....dont connect any cables till you run the set up disk..
    "nospam" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > You need to configure the WAG54G:-
    >
    > First get a wired connection working between your pc and WAG54G before
    > trying the wireless.
    >
    > Using IE connect to 192.168.1.1 and setup the parameters to connect to
    > your provider (username, password, VCI, VPI - the provider can tell you
    > what values to use for these).
    >
    > You might want to check IE.Tools InternetOptions.Connections Never dial a
    > connection - is selected.
    >
    > I think that was all that was necessary. If you've done all that with no
    > luck then try :-
    > IE.Tools InternetOptions.Connections Add.. ConnectToTheNetworkViaBroadband
    >
    > If you stil have problems the turn off any firewall - just to test the
    > etup - and gradually reintroduce rules to see which are causing you
    > probs.
    >
    > In addition to all the above you will want change the admin password, set
    > wireless encryption, SSID, etc asap.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >

    > "Lobsterok" <Lobsterok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have UK Wanadoo Broadband, a Linksys WAG54G, and a Linksys Wireless
    >>Network
    >> Adaptor. I am replacing my Wanadoo Speedtouch modem with the WAG54G. It
    >> connects to a PC running Win XP Home through a Linksys USB Network
    >> Adaptor
    >> (Ethernet to USB). Another PC (also running Win XP Home) connects to the
    >> network through the Wireless Network Adaptor.
    >>
    >> The problem is, I can't get either computer to access the internet
    >> through
    >> the WAG54G, only through my old Speedtouch Modem. I am a newbie to this
    >> sort
    >> of thing, so any help would be appreciated.

    Usually if you are going to change a Cable modem, you will
    need to tell your ISP the WAN address of your new modem.
    THey have to tell their system to look for that specific
    address. Give that a try.

    I can now access the internet through on the downstairs computer, but not on
    the upstairs. The upstairs computer says that the signal strength is
    excellant. I have tried using ICS, and setting up wireless networks but it
    just won't seem to work. Can anyone give me any tips?

    > I can now access the internet through on the downstairs computer, but not
    on
    > the upstairs. The upstairs computer says that the signal strength is
    > excellant. I have tried using ICS, and setting up wireless networks but it
    > just won't seem to work. Can anyone give me any tips?

    Are you getting a valid IP address on the computer?

    --
    Joseph Stewart

Wireless Network Linksys Wireless Networking