Crucial PC2100 ECC ram (model CT3272Y265.18T), will this w..

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

I have 2 sticks of pc2100 ECC ram that was running on my old
A7V333-RAID, I want to know if this can be used on the A7N8X

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:48:52 -0500, Nobody <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

>I have 2 sticks of pc2100 ECC ram that was running on my old
>A7V333-RAID, I want to know if this can be used on the A7N8X

If they don't, would you consider selling them?

Paul

Splendid

In article <10hj5p1n8nquibe@corp.supernews.com>, Nobody
<nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I have 2 sticks of pc2100 ECC ram that was running on my old
> A7V333-RAID, I want to know if this can be used on the A7N8X

Executive Summary: "No".

Use the "product search" box on the Crucial site:

http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CT3272Y265&WSMD=CT3272Y265&WSPN=CT3272Y265

It says the module is registered ? That won't work on an
unbuffered type motherboard. I thought the A7V333 was an
unbuffered type motherboard as well, so how did these modules
ever work with it ? Something doesn't add up here - either the
Crucial page is wrong, or the modules never worked in an
A7V333. (I'm going by what the manual says for the A7V333.)

I don't see anything here about registered memory working
with KT333, but VIA never gives out real info on their chipsets.
There is mention that the KT333 follows in the footsteps of
the KT266, meaning possibly the same feature set is there,
and an A7V266 can apparently take registered modules. A
very thin association, without an Asus manual to back it up.
http://web.archive.org/web/20030608034300/www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp

I found one post in Google by a person running registered
memory on a KT333 motherboard (not an Asus board).

If the module was a simple unbuffered ECC module, then if
plugged into a non-ECC unbuffered motherboard, there would be
no damage to the motherboard. The nineth chip in each bank of
the memory bus will have data and control signals floating,
which might not be the best thing for the memory chip, but
won't do anything to the motherboard. So, if it turns out
the module is not registered, like the web page above says
it is, then you could try it.

To determine whether you have a registered module, which
you cannot use, check to see whether there are three different
sized chips located in the center of the module. I.e. You'll
see 4+5 memory chips on the DIMM, with three non-memory chips
located between the four and five clumps of chips. If you insert
a registered module in an A7V333 or an A7N8X, at least going
by the manuals, the motherboard should beep like crazy, and
refuse to post.

How did you determine that a registered module would work in
an A7V333 ? Was that on a review site somewhere ?

HTH,
Paul

Nobody wrote:

> I have 2 sticks of pc2100 ECC ram that was running on my old
> A7V333-RAID, I want to know if this can be used on the A7N8X

From the Asus website http://www.asus.com/prog/spec.asp?m=A7N8X:
"Max. 3 GB unbuffered PC3200/PC2700/PC2100/PC1600 non-ECC DDR
RAM Memory".

I tried my PC2100 EEC in my A7N8X-X and, sure enough, it didn't work!

Winey wrote:

> Nobody wrote:

>> I have 2 sticks of pc2100 ECC ram that was running on my old
>> A7V333-RAID, I want to know if this can be used on the A7N8X

> If they don't, would you consider selling them?

What would you offer for my 2 x 512 of Crucial?

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

Winey wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:48:52 -0500, Nobody <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>I have 2 sticks of pc2100 ECC ram that was running on my old
>>A7V333-RAID, I want to know if this can be used on the A7N8X
>

> If they don't, would you consider selling them?

I should've been more descriptive. I have 2 x 256 Modules

images here:

http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_01.jpg
http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_02.jpg
http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_03.jpg

Any questions, please e-mail me at: malcore@malcore.com. Thanks.

nobody

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2003

I did try the Crucial Webpage awhile ago and I'm surprised this ram has
worked in both my a7v333 and it's previous occupying board (Epox 8KHA).
I also ran memtest on both modules with no errors so the ECC ram
definitly will work on the KT266 and KT333 chipsets.

here's some pictures of one of the modules:

http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_01.jpg
http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_02.jpg
http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_03.jpg

link on crucial's site to my modules:

http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT3272Y265&cat=RAM

Paul wrote:

> In article <10hj5p1n8nquibe@corp.supernews.com>, Nobody
> <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>

>>I have 2 sticks of pc2100 ECC ram that was running on my old
>>A7V333-RAID, I want to know if this can be used on the A7N8X
>

> Executive Summary: "No".
>
> Use the "product search" box on the Crucial site:
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/partspecs.asp?imodule=CT3272Y265&WSMD=CT3272Y265&WSPN=CT3272Y265
>
> It says the module is registered ? That won't work on an
> unbuffered type motherboard. I thought the A7V333 was an
> unbuffered type motherboard as well, so how did these modules
> ever work with it ? Something doesn't add up here - either the
> Crucial page is wrong, or the modules never worked in an
> A7V333. (I'm going by what the manual says for the A7V333.)
>
> I don't see anything here about registered memory working
> with KT333, but VIA never gives out real info on their chipsets.
> There is mention that the KT333 follows in the footsteps of
> the KT266, meaning possibly the same feature set is there,
> and an A7V266 can apparently take registered modules. A
> very thin association, without an Asus manual to back it up.
> http://web.archive.org/web/20030608034300/www.via.com.tw/en/apollo/KT333.jsp
>
> I found one post in Google by a person running registered
> memory on a KT333 motherboard (not an Asus board).
>
> If the module was a simple unbuffered ECC module, then if
> plugged into a non-ECC unbuffered motherboard, there would be
> no damage to the motherboard. The nineth chip in each bank of
> the memory bus will have data and control signals floating,
> which might not be the best thing for the memory chip, but
> won't do anything to the motherboard. So, if it turns out
> the module is not registered, like the web page above says
> it is, then you could try it.
>
> To determine whether you have a registered module, which
> you cannot use, check to see whether there are three different
> sized chips located in the center of the module. I.e. You'll
> see 4+5 memory chips on the DIMM, with three non-memory chips
> located between the four and five clumps of chips. If you insert
> a registered module in an A7V333 or an A7N8X, at least going
> by the manuals, the motherboard should beep like crazy, and
> refuse to post.
>
> How did you determine that a registered module would work in
> an A7V333 ? Was that on a review site somewhere ?
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Paul

Splendid

In article <10hkls93mdmhtfe@corp.supernews.com>, Nobody
<nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:

> I did try the Crucial Webpage awhile ago and I'm surprised this ram has
> worked in both my a7v333 and it's previous occupying board (Epox 8KHA).
> I also ran memtest on both modules with no errors so the ECC ram
> definitly will work on the KT266 and KT333 chipsets.
>
> here's some pictures of one of the modules:
>
> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_01.jpg
> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_02.jpg
> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_03.jpg
>
> link on crucial's site to my modules:
>
> http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT3272Y265&cat=RAM

It is registered ram. The second link is the datasheet

http://www.micron.com/products/modules/ddrsdram/part.aspx?part=MT18VDDT3272DG-265
http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr/DD18C32_64_128_256x72DG.pdf

I believe that will beep like crazy on an A7N8X, and will refuse to post.

As for your Epox 8KHA, it is KT266, and is roughly the same design
as the KT333, according to Via. Since the A7V266 can take registered,
it isn't a complete surprise that the Epox 8KHA can too. It is just
bothering me that the A7V333 manual makes no mention of accepting
both types. In this case, it probably doesn't help that much,
because while it accepts registered RAM, I believe it might have
a restriction on chip width, so a 1GB registered module with x4
chips might not work on the A7V333, as otherwise you could use the
much cheaper stacked registered RAM on the A7V333. Don't ask me where
you would verify that info, as even the lostcircuits review of the
A7V333 doesn't mention the use of registered ram.

HTH,
Paul

Paul wrote:

>In article <10hkls93mdmhtfe@corp.supernews.com>, Nobody
><nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>> I did try the Crucial Webpage awhile ago and I'm surprised this ram has
>> worked in both my a7v333 and it's previous occupying board (Epox 8KHA).
>> I also ran memtest on both modules with no errors so the ECC ram
>> definitly will work on the KT266 and KT333 chipsets.
>>
>> here's some pictures of one of the modules:
>>
>> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_01.jpg
>> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_02.jpg
>> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_03.jpg
>>
>> link on crucial's site to my modules:
>>
>> http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT3272Y265&cat=RAM
>
>It is registered ram. The second link is the datasheet
>
>http://www.micron.com/products/modules/ddrsdram/part.aspx?part=MT18VDDT3272DG-265
>http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr/DD18C32_64_128_256x72DG.pdf

according to the manual and datasheets, that registered ECC will work on a
K8V-SE

for whatever that is worth...

probably completely different architecture though..

cheers

Paul

Splendid

In article <mgslh09mkrr7m8o08mpr39qfu9mb4rral3@4ax.com>, chasm@texas.net wrote:

> Paul wrote:
>
> >In article <10hkls93mdmhtfe@corp.supernews.com>, Nobody
> ><nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I did try the Crucial Webpage awhile ago and I'm surprised this ram has
> >> worked in both my a7v333 and it's previous occupying board (Epox 8KHA).
> >> I also ran memtest on both modules with no errors so the ECC ram
> >> definitly will work on the KT266 and KT333 chipsets.
> >>
> >> here's some pictures of one of the modules:
> >>
> >> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_01.jpg
> >> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_02.jpg
> >> http://www.malcore.com/crucial/crucial_03.jpg
> >>
> >> link on crucial's site to my modules:
> >>
> >> http://www.crucial.com/store/PartSpecs.asp?imodule=CT3272Y265&cat=RAM
> >
> >It is registered ram. The second link is the datasheet
> >

>http://www.micron.com/products/modules/ddrsdram/part.aspx?part=MT18VDDT3272DG-265
>
>http://download.micron.com/pdf/datasheets/modules/ddr/DD18C32_64_128_256x72DG.pdf
> >

> according to the manual and datasheets, that registered ECC will work on a
> K8V-SE
>
> for whatever that is worth...
>
> probably completely different architecture though..
>
> cheers

No, it will not. K8V family is S754 - single channel, three slot,
_unbuffered_ DDR RAM.

Here are some kinds of RAM -

1) Unbuffered Non-ECC. Most popular desktop RAM, used for non
server applications.
2) Unbuffered ECC. Used on desktop boards whose hardware supports
ECC. Used when a user wants the ability to correct single
bit memory errors, or detect multiple memory errors in a
fetched word. May be used for server applications, i.e. a
P4C800 board or a K8V SE being used as a small server.
3) Registered Non-ECC. I'm not sure there is any point to this.
Registered ram allows larger modules to be constructed, as the
address register buffers the memory address bus from the loading
of all the chips on the module. The lack of ECC improves
memory bandwidth, but at the expense of no error detection.
4) Registered ECC. Buffering the address with a latching register,
delays the presentation of the address by one cycle. But, it also
unloads the address bus, so more modules can be driven. The use
of ECC gives the assurance that the higher probability of soft
errors in the RAM is countered by the ability to correct single
bit errors with the ECC.

Socket 940 Athlon64 systems use registered RAM. Socket 939 is back
to unbuffered RAM.

ECC ram can be used in non-ECC motherboards - the nineth chip just
"flaps in the breeze", because it won't be connected to any data
signals on the memory data bus. But you cannot mix and match
registered and unbuffered, so jamming a registered ECC into an
unbuffered non-ECC or unbuffered ECC motherboard will get you nothing
but a bunch of BIOS beeps.

HTH,
Paul