my HDD ATA133 works as ATA66.Why?

I installed via ide drivers because my mb chipset is via but hdd still doesn't work at 133/95mbs+.I think i haven't an ata133 controller but in my mb user guide is pointed that it supports ata 133.
Thanks in advance.

Usually it's as simple as changing the ribbon cable from a 40 wire to 80
wire.
--
Cari
www.coribright.com

aldi wrote:
> I installed via ide drivers because my mb chipset is via but hdd
> still doesn't work at 133/95mbs+.I think i haven't an ata133
> controller but in my mb user guide is pointed that it supports ata
> 133. Thanks in advance.

What is the motherboard manufacturer and model number?

--
<- Shenan ->

the manufacturer is Gigabyte.The model is GA-7VTXE+.I upgraded the bios recently but ata133 still doesn't work.On the benchmark software "Sandra 2004" is displayed 27mb/s index.I also have the newest drivers of VIAchipset which support ata ultra dma 6 ata133 and when switch to mode 6 nothing changes.My conductor cable is 40/80 but I don't know the difference between ata133 cables and the others.

aldi wrote:
> the manufacturer is Gigabyte.The model is GA-7VTXE+.I upgraded the
> bios recently but ata133 still doesn't work.On the benchmark software
> "Sandra 2004" is displayed 27mb/s index.I also have the newest
> drivers of VIAchipset which support ata ultra dma 6 ata133 and when
> switch to mode 6 nothing changes.My conductor cable is 40/80 but I
> don't know the difference between ata133 cables and the others.

The cable should be very dense.. If you look at it and a 40 pin cable, you
will see the difference in the number of wires running through.
If you count the number of ridges in the ribbon cable you'll have either 40
or 80. Each one of those ridges is a copper wire running through the cable.

Looking at the motherboard manual, it doesn't come with a 80. You need one
of these.

Also, what version of the BIOS are you running?

--
<- Shenan ->

To have ATA133 speeds:

1) Need to have an ATA133 IDE crotroller -- IDE 0 or IDE 1 or Pirmary IDE
port on the motherboard. See manual

2) ATA 133 compatible hard drive -- Only drives that have ATA 133 support
built into them will support it. Older drives will still run on an ATA 133
controller, but not use the ATA 133 speeds. Check with hard drive
manufacturer to see what your current drive supports.

3) An 80 wire ATA 100/133 IDE cable. Connect is 40 pin IDE and the other 40
wires are "paired" to the main 40 wires. Provides signal shielding.

4) IDE UltraDMA drivers. Based on chipset. You said yours was a VIA
chipset.

5) Do not add a "slave" drive to the ATA 133 controller channel that IS NOT
ATA 133 ready. If the primary master drive is ATA133 and the slave drive is
not, all drives will run at the slower, slave drive speeds.

If any of the above options is not available (you do not have or need to use
a non ATA 133 compatible HDD), then you may not get the ATA 133 speeds.
However, your hard drvies will still work.

Yves Leclerc wrote:

> To have ATA133 speeds:
>
> 1) Need to have an ATA133 IDE crotroller -- IDE 0 or IDE 1 or Pirmary IDE
> port on the motherboard. See manual
>
> 2) ATA 133 compatible hard drive -- Only drives that have ATA 133 support
> built into them will support it. Older drives will still run on an ATA 133
> controller, but not use the ATA 133 speeds. Check with hard drive
> manufacturer to see what your current drive supports.
>
> 3) An 80 wire ATA 100/133 IDE cable. Connect is 40 pin IDE and the other 40
> wires are "paired" to the main 40 wires. Provides signal shielding.
>
> 4) IDE UltraDMA drivers. Based on chipset. You said yours was a VIA
> chipset.
>
> 5) Do not add a "slave" drive to the ATA 133 controller channel that IS NOT
> ATA 133 ready. If the primary master drive is ATA133 and the slave drive is
> not, all drives will run at the slower, slave drive speeds.
>

> If any of the above options is not available (you do not have or need to use
> a non ATA 133 compatible HDD), then you may not get the ATA 133 speeds.
> However, your hard drvies will still work.
>

> "aldi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
>>I installed via ide drivers because my mb chipset is via but hdd still
>
> doesn't work at 133/95mbs+.I think i haven't an ata133 controller but in my
> mb user guide is pointed that it supports ata 133.
>
>>Thanks in advance.

Uh, there are only two flavors of IDE cable: the 40-wire version
which is good for U/33 and slower, and the 80-wire version which
supports all speeds up to and including U/133.

If you have a 80-wire cable, make sure it is installed correctly,
with the connector at the end of the long cable segment plugged into
the MB, the master HD at the end of the short cable segment, and the
slave device (if any) plugged into the connecter in the middle. Also,
check the jumpers on the devices for a correct choice of master and
slave (or cable select).

It used to be true that mixing HD speeds caused all HDs on that IDE
cable to run at the slowest speed, but that was fixed *years* ago.
I'm sure that any MB that is new enough to support U/133 maintains
independent speed params for each HD on each IDE cable.
--
Cheers, Bob

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If you have the HD connected to IDE 1 port with an 80 pin cable make sure
the blue connector of the ribbon is connected to the motherboard connector
and not the HD. You also need to have just the HD connected on the 80 pin
cable, if you have a CD or DVD connected as a slave that will affect
performance.
Just another thought, be sure the bios settings for the IDE controllers are
set to "auto"

Neil

> the manufacturer is Gigabyte.The model is GA-7VTXE+.

This one supports UDMA 133

>I upgraded the bios recently but ata133 still doesn't work.

How do you know that ?

> On the benchmark software "Sandra 2004" is displayed 27mb/s index.

Not bad and sandra is not the most reliable HDD benchmark software.

>I also have the newest drivers of VIAchipset which support ata ultra
dma 6 >ata133 and when switch to mode 6 nothing changes.My conductor
cable is >40/80 but I don't know the difference between ata133 cables
and the others.

Everything seems to be OK. Do you have a specific problem.

Regards
MP

Kenny

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001

get a 80 wire cable to connect the HD with the Motherboard

Hope this helps. Let us know.
_____________
Kenny S
foksot2004 at hotmail.com
www.computerboom.net

foksot2004 at hotmail.com
www.computerboom.net
"aldi" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed via ide drivers because my mb chipset is via but hdd still
doesn't work at 133/95mbs+.I think i haven't an ata133 controller but in my
mb user guide is pointed that it supports ata 133.
> Thanks in advance.

Many Thanks to all of you.

I did as follows:
I checked the cable – it is ok – to be exact 40 pins/80 wires.
I switched my hdd in cable select mode.
My all bios settings are set to auto.
I reconnect the hdd in the proper way – the short to hdd, the long part to mb and the middle to the dvd.
But the problem still occurs!
I disconnected the dvd from the interface and it was the same situation.
I’ve recently downloaded the newest version of the bios from my mb manufacturer Gigabyte-so it’s ok.
My hdd is Maxtor 740X-6L, which supports ata133.
I do have primary ide controller ata133 on the mb.
And I have the newest chipset ide drivers which allow switching between different modes.
I think that the solution is something else but I don’t know what exactly it is.

Many Thanks to all of you.

I did as follows:
I checked the cable – it is ok – to be exact 40 pins/80 wires.
I switched my hdd in cable select mode.
My all bios settings are set to auto.
I reconnect the hdd in the proper way – the short to hdd, the long part to mb and the middle to the dvd.
But the problem still occurs!
I disconnected the dvd from the interface and it was the same situation.
I’ve recently downloaded the newest version of the bios from my mb manufacturer Gigabyte-so it’s ok.
My hdd is Maxtor 740X-6L, which supports ata133.
I do have primary ide controller on the mb.
And I have the newest chipset ide drivers which allow switching between different modes.
The benchmark software shows me that I have no ata controllers, but in my motherboard manual is written that the two ide controllers /primary and secondary/ supports ata133.And the bios and the drivers are ok.
I think that the solution is something else but I don’t know what exactly it is.

Can you tell us what's the problem ? If it's that you have 30MB/s
average transfer rates that's normal. Could be a little faster but it's
not bad. And Sisoft Sandra is not the best HD benchmark tool. Look for
HDtach for a better tool. It's probably trialware or shareware.

MP

masterprometheus wrote:

> Can you tell us what's the problem ? If it's that you have 30MB/s
> average transfer rates that's normal. Could be a little faster but it's
> not bad. And Sisoft Sandra is not the best HD benchmark tool. Look for
> HDtach for a better tool. It's probably trialware or shareware.

Likewise: I trust HDtach, and I do not trust the HD data from Sandra.

HDtach v3.0.0.0 is due to be released any day now, and I *still*
trust it. (I ran the v3 Beta, and I have now run the v3 release on
3 PCs with NTFS HDs.)
--
Cheers, Bob

Have you ever heard of Sandra software?30 mb/s is NOT normal.Normal is 95 mb/s buffered read! ok?
If you don't understand the problem DON't write on this message!

Neil

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have you checked out Maxtor's question & answers http://tinyurl.com/2cy3p

Neil

> Have you ever heard of Sandra software?

Yes. If you noticed i've put the name of the company in my previous
post. But you are not able to read obviously. Who read the posts for
you ?

>30 mb/s is NOT normal.

What is not normal is you!!

It's normal if you are talking about average read speeds. You don't
understand what you are talking about. And obviously you didn't bother
to do a simple search how to make a more reliable benchmarking work
under Windows XP. It requires a few simple steps. For professional level
benchmarking you have to read more.

> Normal is 95 mb/s buffered read! ok?

No not ok !
Do you really know about what you are talking ? No. Not a clue. Do you
know what a buffered read is ? How does is relate to the HDD performance
? No. You just looked at Sisoftware's website and read the FAQ. That's
all you know about the subject. Did you bother to look at other
benchmark tools ? No. Just Sandra.

> If you don't understand the problem DON't write on this message!

And this comes from a .... that doesn't know the difference between a
40/40 and 80/40 cable. You are no way near understanding the subject.
ATA 133, that you refer is the interface speed, ....... Not the hard
disk's speed. And a
buffered read is no way an indication of the average speed and
performance of your drive. And there is no guarantee that Sandra is
giving you correct
results.