Printer Calibration, How ?

I am using Photoshop CS, and many of my prints on photopaper are
a little too red. Any idea how I can fix that ?

The best prints out of Photoshop comes from selecting
Printer Color Management in Photoshop and then print using
ICM in the printer driver. Trying to use any of the printer
profiles goes wrong.

The other problem is, that when I print to plain paper, with
plain paper settings, there is way too much ink on darker /
more saturated areas, and I would like to decrease that.
How can I fix this ? Probably by another printer profile ?
Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

"Povl H. Pedersen" <povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local> wrote in message news:<slrnc8lece.2tq.povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local>...
> I am using Photoshop CS, and many of my prints on photopaper are
> a little too red. Any idea how I can fix that ?
>
> The best prints out of Photoshop comes from selecting
> Printer Color Management in Photoshop and then print using
> ICM in the printer driver. Trying to use any of the printer
> profiles goes wrong.
>
> The other problem is, that when I print to plain paper, with
> plain paper settings, there is way too much ink on darker /
> more saturated areas, and I would like to decrease that.
> How can I fix this ? Probably by another printer profile ?
> Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
Povl,
color management is not all easy. We need more information.
- Did you calibrate your monitor and use a monitor profile?
- Which printer do you use? OEM-ink or third-party?
- Which paper do you use?
- OS?

Winfried

In article <2c8b55db.0404241317.246d9ea7@posting.google.com>, W. W. Schwolgin wrote:
> Povl,
> color management is not all easy. We need more information.
> - Did you calibrate your monitor and use a monitor profile?
> - Which printer do you use? OEM-ink or third-party?
> - Which paper do you use?
> - OS?

Yes, I have calibrated my monitor, and the print is pretty close,
considering one is reflective and the other a power source.

The printer is Epson RX500. It has some Print Image Matching feature
whatever that is. Original ink (included ink).

I want to use plain generic inkjet/laser paper as well as whatever
cheap and good quality photopaper I find.

Running Windows mostly, and some OS X. Don't do much image processing
under Linux.

I want to be able to create my own color profiles, and I am willing to
spend some ink trying to get there. Is there any easy way to generate
printer "curves" ? ICC profiles that I can convert to in Photoshop
would be OK, and then print without the printer driver doing much.
But I guess the printerdriver still does CCMMYK seperation.

"Povl H. Pedersen" <povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local> wrote in message news:<slrnc8nt36.2ve.povlhp@povl-h-pedersens-computer.local>...
> In article <2c8b55db.0404241317.246d9ea7@posting.google.com>, W. W. Schwolgin wrote:
> > Povl,
> > color management is not all easy. We need more information.
> > - Did you calibrate your monitor and use a monitor profile?
> > - Which printer do you use? OEM-ink or third-party?
> > - Which paper do you use?
> > - OS?
>
> Yes, I have calibrated my monitor, and the print is pretty close,
> considering one is reflective and the other a power source.
>
> The printer is Epson RX500. It has some Print Image Matching feature
> whatever that is. Original ink (included ink).
>
> I want to use plain generic inkjet/laser paper as well as whatever
> cheap and good quality photopaper I find.
>
> Running Windows mostly, and some OS X. Don't do much image processing
> under Linux.
>
> I want to be able to create my own color profiles, and I am willing to
> spend some ink trying to get there. Is there any easy way to generate
> printer "curves" ? ICC profiles that I can convert to in Photoshop
> would be OK, and then print without the printer driver doing much.
> But I guess the printerdriver still does CCMMYK seperation.

I am not shure that your setup for a colormanagement workflow is all
correct.
Have a look at:

http://www.epson.com.sg/How-to-Use-ICC-Profiles.pdf

It is written for the Epson Pro 7600/9600, but I think the basics are
equal.

Generating homemade profiles is are big and pricy task.
For realy good ICC-profiles you need a special hardware, a
spectrometer.
Have a look at GretagMacbeth or Monaco Systems.

There are cheaper solutions based on a normal scanner instead of a
spectrometer,
i.e. ProfilePrism (http://www.ddisoftware.com/prism/) or printfix by
Colorvision. These small solutions work, but normally the profiles
produced with a real spectrometer are better.

There are also shops that produce icc-profiles for your
paper/printer/ink-combination.

Stay with one or two brands of paper and you will minimize your
problems.

Winfried