triton

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2004

This is maybe a stupid problem. I'm trying to set up an ad-hoc WLAN network.
But my problem is that the PCs can't connect to each other ("the wireless
network is not available"). Do I have to "activate" the wireless cards in a
way (and I don't mean an on/of-button :) )? The stationary PC has 802.11g and
the laptop has 802.11b, but I don't believe that makes any difference..?
I think I can manage the rest (sharing, TCP/IP and so on) if I just can get
the PCs (the wireless cards) to find eachother. Can somebody help? 0:)

Are they the same workgroup?

From WinXP help:-

To join a workgroup

1.. Open System in Control Panel.
2.. On the Computer Name tab, click Change.
3.. Under Member of, click Workgroup, type the name of the workgroup that
you want to join, and then click OK.
Notes

a.. To open System, click Start, click Control Panel, and then
double-click System.
b.. A workgroup name must not be the same as the computer name. A
workgroup name can have as many as 15 characters, but it cannot contain any
of the following: ; : " < > * + = \ | ? ,

Same encryption?

" <Triton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is maybe a stupid problem. I'm trying to set up an ad-hoc WLAN
> network.
> But my problem is that the PCs can't connect to each other ("the wireless
> network is not available"). Do I have to "activate" the wireless cards in
> way (and I don't mean an on/of-button :) )? The stationary PC has 802.11g
> and
> the laptop has 802.11b, but I don't believe that makes any difference..?
> I think I can manage the rest (sharing, TCP/IP and so on) if I just can
> get
> the PCs (the wireless cards) to find eachother. Can somebody help? 0:)

begin 666 shortcutCold.gif
M1TE&.#EA"0`)`*(``(AZA68)>\#<P+_4OH" @ ```````````"P`````"0`)
B```#'$@$W"HCR##>B+*2.ZG"E+=EEQ9=0OI%J:J\< (`.P``
`
end

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end

"Triton" <Triton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E87438C-72F7-4BBA-956F-521E2088540B@microsoft.com...
> The stationary PC has 802.11g and
> the laptop has 802.11b, but I don't believe that makes any difference..?

Why? Why lot of people still believes in Santa, but don't believe in the difference
between B and G?
There *is* a difference. Maybe your G netcard is explicitly configured to refuse
connection with B cards.

--PA

triton

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2004

"nospam" wrote:

> Are they the same workgroup?
No, that's not the problem. I know HOW to set up a ad-hoc network. The
problem is that the computers can't find eachother in available wireless
networks.