New BIOS

I have a CUV4x and I cannot get any XP boot CD to boot. At bootup the drive
lites up then the HD boots. Trying to boot from the 2nd cd-rom is not any
better.

I can boot from CD using any other OS, (Wx, NT, Linux and so on). A BIOS
sales company told me I need a new BIOS ($65 USD, only $25 in a follow-up
e-mail) as I'm trying to boot file system that the BIOS does not recognize.

BIOS info:
Award Modular BIOS v6.0
ASUS CUV4X ACPI BIOS Revision 1009
Chipset: VIA 82C60

Although the new BIOS is 'Windows XP Compliant something does not quite add
up.

Anyone else face this?

thanks

Paul

Splendid

In article <qluSc.21725$Mq1.1180944@news20.bellglobal.com>, "brian
johnson" <johnsonb@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> I have a CUV4x and I cannot get any XP boot CD to boot. At bootup the drive
> lites up then the HD boots. Trying to boot from the 2nd cd-rom is not any
> better.
>
> I can boot from CD using any other OS, (Wx, NT, Linux and so on). A BIOS
> sales company told me I need a new BIOS ($65 USD, only $25 in a follow-up
> e-mail) as I'm trying to boot file system that the BIOS does not recognize.
>
> BIOS info:
> Award Modular BIOS v6.0
> ASUS CUV4X ACPI BIOS Revision 1009
> Chipset: VIA 82C60
>
> Although the new BIOS is 'Windows XP Compliant something does not quite add
> up.
>
> Anyone else face this?
>
> thanks

Have a look in Google - these people seem to think a beta BIOS
enables WinXP. The latest beta version is 1010.003 .
I tried search terms: cuv4x winxp

http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=c8tE8.83%24d57.95263902%40news.orangenet.dk

ftp://ftp.asuscom.de/pub/ASUScom/BIOS/Socket_370/VIA_Chipset/Apollo_Pro_133Z/CUV4X

Wichtig:
Laden Sie VOR & NACH jedem Update
im BIOS die "Setup defaults" !
Ein BIOS-Update geschieht generell

Importantly: Load BEFORE & TO each update in the BIOS "Setup defaults"!
An BIOS update generally happens (?!?)

Many sad tales start this way:

"A BIOS sales company told me... "

HTH,
Paul

try hitting esc at startup.
with my old asus board it gave a one-off boot menu without having to go into
bios.
cheers

"brian johnson" <johnsonb@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I have a CUV4x and I cannot get any XP boot CD to boot. At bootup the drive
> lites up then the HD boots. Trying to boot from the 2nd cd-rom is not any
> better.
>
> I can boot from CD using any other OS, (Wx, NT, Linux and so on). A BIOS
> sales company told me I need a new BIOS ($65 USD, only $25 in a follow-up
> e-mail) as I'm trying to boot file system that the BIOS does not
> recognize.
>
> BIOS info:
> Award Modular BIOS v6.0
> ASUS CUV4X ACPI BIOS Revision 1009
> Chipset: VIA 82C60
>
> Although the new BIOS is 'Windows XP Compliant something does not quite
> add
> up.
>
> Anyone else face this?
>
> thanks

If you need a new bios chip, go here.
www.badflash.com

I think around $15 will do it. I can`t be bothered looking.