K8V won't detect scsi card after bios 1005

Is there anyone out there with a bios version later than 1005 that *can*
detect their scsi card and hard drives? And if so, what make scsi card are
you using? Bios vers 1006 thru 1008 can't find my lsi based card or my scsi
hard drives...which is kind of a drag since I need 1007 to support my 3700+.

Paul

Splendid

In article <p72dnc0K47_UI4fcRVn-rg@giganews.com>, "Gil Evans"
<gilevans@nopacbell.netspam> wrote:

> Is there anyone out there with a bios version later than 1005 that *can*
> detect their scsi card and hard drives? And if so, what make scsi card are
> you using? Bios vers 1006 thru 1008 can't find my lsi based card or my scsi
> hard drives...which is kind of a drag since I need 1007 to support my 3700+.

As a work around, try disabling the Promise controller, or the
SATA RAID on the Southbridge, and see if that helps. If it works,
contact Asus tech support, as I'm curious as to whether they think
a customer's SCSI card should work in an Asus motherboard or not :)

At one time, Asus had test reports on their web site, and they were
interesting in that they showed what hardware was tested against
a motherboard. That, at least, would give you an idea of what brand
of SCSI cards they had tried. I don't think they publish the test
reports any more. Maybe, when you contact tech support, you could
ask them to email you a copy for your board...

HTH,
Paul

Raid is already disabled, Paul, but thanks for the tip. I was on hold with
tech support for an hour yesterday...long distance...from Los Angeles to
Kentucky, or Tennessee...and finally gave up. They were supposed to call me
back...and didn't. I'd call tech support again...IF ASUS HAD ANY TECH
SUPPORT!!!!! ARRRRGGGGGG!

(Sorry...just had to vent :->)

> In article <p72dnc0K47_UI4fcRVn-rg@giganews.com>, "Gil Evans"
> <gilevans@nopacbell.netspam> wrote:
>
> > Is there anyone out there with a bios version later than 1005 that *can*
> > detect their scsi card and hard drives? And if so, what make scsi card
are
> > you using? Bios vers 1006 thru 1008 can't find my lsi based card or my
scsi
> > hard drives...which is kind of a drag since I need 1007 to support my
3700+.

> As a work around, try disabling the Promise controller, or the
> SATA RAID on the Southbridge, and see if that helps. If it works,
> contact Asus tech support, as I'm curious as to whether they think
> a customer's SCSI card should work in an Asus motherboard or not :)
>
> At one time, Asus had test reports on their web site, and they were
> interesting in that they showed what hardware was tested against
> a motherboard. That, at least, would give you an idea of what brand
> of SCSI cards they had tried. I don't think they publish the test
> reports any more. Maybe, when you contact tech support, you could
> ask them to email you a copy for your board...
>
> HTH,
> Paul

I just ran into the same problem in a big way... new install of K8V SE and
Athlon 64 3000+ and had nopthing but a nightmare with my Ultra160 SCSI Hard
drives (including the one which was my OS Drive!)

All SCSI Hard Drives worked 100% fine on old Athlon XP 1600 System thru ASUS
A7M 266 mainboard.

At present the system did install Windows XP to an EIDE drive via an EIDE
DVD burner-drive however my SCSI hardware seems to now be unusable.

The odd thing about this is that the system does recognize the Adaptec 29160
controller, does post all devices in the boot sequence without a problem,
does recognize all scsi hard drives as valid hard drives but the system will
not boot to Windows with any 1, all or a combination of them connected to
the scsi card.

Anyone have any Ideas on this?
"Gil Evans" <gilevans@nopacbell.netspam> wrote in message
> Is there anyone out there with a bios version later than 1005 that *can*
> detect their scsi card and hard drives? And if so, what make scsi card
are
> you using? Bios vers 1006 thru 1008 can't find my lsi based card or my
scsi
> hard drives...which is kind of a drag since I need 1007 to support my
3700+.

LOL Asus Tech Support? Let's get real here... I have tried for the last 3
days to click the link for tech support to report my scsi problems and the
link comes up dead!

As I am using an ADAPTEC 29160 card I would think they have tested this...
but then again... this might just make too much sense.

thxs for the post...

> In article <p72dnc0K47_UI4fcRVn-rg@giganews.com>, "Gil Evans"
> <gilevans@nopacbell.netspam> wrote:
>
> > Is there anyone out there with a bios version later than 1005 that *can*
> > detect their scsi card and hard drives? And if so, what make scsi card
are
> > you using? Bios vers 1006 thru 1008 can't find my lsi based card or my
scsi
> > hard drives...which is kind of a drag since I need 1007 to support my
3700+.

> As a work around, try disabling the Promise controller, or the
> SATA RAID on the Southbridge, and see if that helps. If it works,
> contact Asus tech support, as I'm curious as to whether they think
> a customer's SCSI card should work in an Asus motherboard or not :)
>
> At one time, Asus had test reports on their web site, and they were
> interesting in that they showed what hardware was tested against
> a motherboard. That, at least, would give you an idea of what brand
> of SCSI cards they had tried. I don't think they publish the test
> reports any more. Maybe, when you contact tech support, you could
> ask them to email you a copy for your board...
>
> HTH,
> Paul

Hey do you mind if I ask if you ever figured this out?

As I am still without use of my scsi hardware.. and the wife is kind of
freaking out on me as a lot of our family digi pics are still on the
drives...

cheers mate... and thx..

"The Nicholson's" <rocklobster@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>I just ran into the same problem in a big way... new install of K8V SE and
> Athlon 64 3000+ and had nopthing but a nightmare with my Ultra160 SCSI
> Hard
> drives (including the one which was my OS Drive!)
>
> All SCSI Hard Drives worked 100% fine on old Athlon XP 1600 System thru
> ASUS
> A7M 266 mainboard.
>
> At present the system did install Windows XP to an EIDE drive via an EIDE
> DVD burner-drive however my SCSI hardware seems to now be unusable.
>
> The odd thing about this is that the system does recognize the Adaptec
> 29160
> controller, does post all devices in the boot sequence without a problem,
> does recognize all scsi hard drives as valid hard drives but the system
> will
> not boot to Windows with any 1, all or a combination of them connected to
> the scsi card.
>
> Anyone have any Ideas on this?
> "Gil Evans" <gilevans@nopacbell.netspam> wrote in message
>> Is there anyone out there with a bios version later than 1005 that *can*
>> detect their scsi card and hard drives? And if so, what make scsi card
> are
>> you using? Bios vers 1006 thru 1008 can't find my lsi based card or my
> scsi
>> hard drives...which is kind of a drag since I need 1007 to support my
> 3700+.

TRENDING THREADS