2600+ 266Hz on A7A266; won't run at 2133Mhz

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

As I posted last week, I've installed a 2600+ 266Mhz Athlon
on an Asus A7A266 motherboard (BIOS version 1012). All
went well at first; the chip was automatically recognised with the
following BIOS settings:

CPU Speed 2133MHz
CPU Frequency Multiple 16x
CPU/PCI Frequency Mhz 133/33

However, the machine then hung. I rebooted up and tried
several times. However, at the moment, the machine will
only boot if:

* I set the CPU speed to 1600, giving me a 1600Hz machine :(
* I set the CPU Speed to Manual and the multipler to 18x,
giving me a 1.87GHZ machine (equivalent of a 2200+)

In these modes, it works fine. Checking the temperature of the CPU
using Asus Probe, it's at either 52c or 54c, which is 5-10c cooler
than what my old 1800+ was running at (I did use Arctic Silver as the
thermal paste this time). This makes me suspect that overheating isn't the
problem.

Any checklist of ideas that I should try now, or things that I should
double-check? Should I try the new beta version of the BIOS - if so,
does anyone know where I can download it? Could overheating actually
be a problem? Do I need to play around with jumpers? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

P.
7 answers Last reply
More about 2600 266hz a7a266 2133mhz

    On 12 Aug 2004 01:38:03 -0700, paul_moloney@hotmail.com (Paul Moloney)
    wrote:

    >As I posted last week, I've installed a 2600+ 266Mhz Athlon
    >on an Asus A7A266 motherboard (BIOS version 1012). All
    >went well at first; the chip was automatically recognised with the
    >following BIOS settings:
    >
    >CPU Speed 2133MHz
    >CPU Frequency Multiple 16x
    >CPU/PCI Frequency Mhz 133/33
    >
    >However, the machine then hung. I rebooted up and tried
    >several times. However, at the moment, the machine will
    >only boot if:
    >
    > * I set the CPU speed to 1600, giving me a 1600Hz machine :(
    > * I set the CPU Speed to Manual and the multipler to 18x,
    > giving me a 1.87GHZ machine (equivalent of a 2200+)
    >
    >In these modes, it works fine. Checking the temperature of the CPU
    >using Asus Probe, it's at either 52c or 54c, which is 5-10c cooler
    >than what my old 1800+ was running at (I did use Arctic Silver as the
    >thermal paste this time). This makes me suspect that overheating isn't the
    >problem.
    >
    >Any checklist of ideas that I should try now, or things that I should
    >double-check? Should I try the new beta version of the BIOS - if so,
    >does anyone know where I can download it? Could overheating actually
    >be a problem? Do I need to play around with jumpers? Any help appreciated.

    Well, it should run, according to

    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

    with that bios.

    This motherboard and also a7v333 had problems by delivering too high
    voltage to the cpu.

    You could try to check that with asusprobe, how high it is. Maybe you
    could set it lower in bios and get it running better then. Maybe the
    bios section Hardware Monitoring will report an error then, if you do
    not set Ignore for cpu voltage.

    If 54C is an idle temp. I believe it is too high. It could be OK for a
    full load temp. when ambient is about 25C.

    Anyway, you can get a very nice nforce2 motherboard for about 100 $ or
    less. Why not sweet your living with such one.

    best regards

    John
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:38:03 -0700, Paul Moloney wrote:

    > As I posted last week, I've installed a 2600+ 266Mhz Athlon
    > on an Asus A7A266 motherboard (BIOS version 1012). All
    > went well at first; the chip was automatically recognised with the
    > following BIOS settings:
    >
    > CPU Speed 2133MHz
    > CPU Frequency Multiple 16x
    > CPU/PCI Frequency Mhz 133/33
    >
    > However, the machine then hung. I rebooted up and tried
    > several times. However, at the moment, the machine will
    > only boot if:
    >
    > * I set the CPU speed to 1600, giving me a 1600Hz machine :(
    > * I set the CPU Speed to Manual and the multipler to 18x,
    > giving me a 1.87GHZ machine (equivalent of a 2200+)
    >
    > In these modes, it works fine. Checking the temperature of the CPU
    > using Asus Probe, it's at either 52c or 54c, which is 5-10c cooler
    > than what my old 1800+ was running at (I did use Arctic Silver as the
    > thermal paste this time). This makes me suspect that overheating isn't the
    > problem.
    >
    > Any checklist of ideas that I should try now, or things that I should
    > double-check? Should I try the new beta version of the BIOS - if so,
    > does anyone know where I can download it? Could overheating actually
    > be a problem? Do I need to play around with jumpers? Any help appreciated.

    The lower the cpu temp, the faster it will run.
    PCI divider should be set to 4 for 133MHz FSB
    Ram or ram timings.
    More vcore = more speed.
    Weak PSU will cause problems.

    That's all I can think of right now.

  3. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message :
    > On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:38:03 -0700, Paul Moloney wrote:
    >
    > > As I posted last week, I've installed a 2600+ 266Mhz Athlon
    > > on an Asus A7A266 motherboard (BIOS version 1012). All
    > > went well at first; the chip was automatically recognised with the
    > > following BIOS settings:

    > The lower the cpu temp, the faster it will run.
    > PCI divider should be set to 4 for 133MHz FSB
    > Ram or ram timings.
    > More vcore = more speed.
    > Weak PSU will cause problems.

    Sorry I only got around to this reply, I had two
    other hardware emergencies in the meantime!

    Can you tell me what the PCI Divider is? Is that the same
    as CPU/PCI Frequency? (Which is currently 1:1)

    More vcore - wouldn't that overheat the PSU too much? I've
    read that raising the voltage of the PSU should be the
    last resort for overclocking - correct? In fact, someone
    else mentioned I should try and _lower_ the voltage, as this
    may resolve the hanging problems. (In fact, checking the available
    CPU Vcore values, the lowest (1.650V) is currently already used.

    Since then, I've managed to get the machine running at 2015Mhz,
    not too far off the magic 2133Mhz; here are the CPU Frequency
    Multiple & CPU/PCI Frequency combinations I tried:

    18 x 133 - Won't boot
    17 x 133 - Won't boot
    16.5 x 133 - Will boot, gets as far as past the login
    screen (just get to see my desktop for a few
    moments), then restarts. If I boot in again, I
    get to see a "System has recovered from a serious error"
    messages, which takes me to a Microsoft page saying that
    a device driver caused the problem. At this point, the
    system restarts again....
    16 x 133 - Won't boot
    15 x 133 - Works

    What I find strange is that the system works for a few moments at 16.5 x 133,
    but not at all at 16 x 133.

    Where to now? I see I can raise the CPU/PCI Frequency up as far as 166/42;
    should I change this at all? My CPU is at 52 degrees C, which doesn't
    seem to be too high to be causing problems. Is it worth buying a
    new cooler for it? (It already has one rated to 2800+).

    Cheers,

    P.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:38:18 -0700, Paul Moloney wrote:

    > Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message :
    >> On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:38:03 -0700, Paul Moloney wrote:
    >>
    >> > As I posted last week, I've installed a 2600+ 266Mhz Athlon
    >> > on an Asus A7A266 motherboard (BIOS version 1012). All
    >> > went well at first; the chip was automatically recognised with the
    >> > following BIOS settings:
    >
    >> The lower the cpu temp, the faster it will run.
    >> PCI divider should be set to 4 for 133MHz FSB
    >> Ram or ram timings.
    >> More vcore = more speed.
    >> Weak PSU will cause problems.
    >
    > Sorry I only got around to this reply, I had two
    > other hardware emergencies in the meantime!
    >
    > Can you tell me what the PCI Divider is? Is that the same
    > as CPU/PCI Frequency? (Which is currently 1:1)

    The PCI divider is what determines the PCI bus speed (which should be
    33MHz). It is used as a divider against the FSB. FSB of 133MHz divided by
    4 for the OCI bus speed of 33MHz. The Agp bus is twice the PCI bus, and
    normally 66MHz. Some boards let you set the divider or PCI/AGP bus
    seperatly, some don't. You must be thinking of CPU/RAM frequency above as
    it's normally 1:1. Normally where the board lets you set this, it's
    usually something like 4:2:1, 4 being the PCI divider, 2 being the AGP
    multiplier x PCI speed and 1 being the ram bus divider/multiplier of the
    FSB speed.

    > More vcore - wouldn't that overheat the PSU too much? I've read that
    > raising the voltage of the PSU should be the last resort for
    > overclocking - correct? In fact, someone else mentioned I should try and
    > _lower_ the voltage, as this may resolve the hanging problems. (In fact,
    > checking the available CPU Vcore values, the lowest (1.650V) is
    > currently already used.

    Vcore is CPU voltage, not PSU voltages. If you're having cpu stability
    problems, lowering vcore will only make them worse.

    > Since then, I've managed to get the machine running at 2015Mhz, not too
    > far off the magic 2133Mhz; here are the CPU Frequency Multiple & CPU/PCI
    > Frequency combinations I tried:
    >
    > 18 x 133 - Won't boot
    > 17 x 133 - Won't boot
    > 16.5 x 133 - Will boot, gets as far as past the login
    > screen (just get to see my desktop for a few moments), then
    > restarts. If I boot in again, I get to see a "System has
    > recovered from a serious error" messages, which takes me to
    > a Microsoft page saying that a device driver caused the
    > problem. At this point, the system restarts again....
    > 16 x 133 - Won't boot

    This is the default settings for the 2600+/266 cpu.

    > 15 x 133 - Works

    And this is the default for a 2400+.

    > What I find strange is that the system works for a few moments at 16.5 x
    > 133, but not at all at 16 x 133.

    Then you've got something wrong.

    > Where to now? I see I can raise the CPU/PCI Frequency up as far as
    > 166/42; should I change this at all? My CPU is at 52 degrees C, which
    > doesn't seem to be too high to be causing problems. Is it worth buying a
    > new cooler for it? (It already has one rated to 2800+).

    Well, I could guess all day, but why don't you list some make/model
    numbers of your PSU, cpu cooler. If that 52C is at idle, it looks real
    high to me. My 2100+ overclocked to 2700+ idles in the 30's. I don't know
    much about your board or th4 ALi chipset, I'll DL the manual and see if it
    gives me any clues.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Hi Wes,

    Thanks for following this up.

    > Vcore is CPU voltage, not PSU voltages.

    Oops, sorry; that's a mixup I often make. I was indeed
    referring to the CPU. Should I then _raise_ the
    voltage slightly?

    > Well, I could guess all day, but why don't you list some make/model
    > numbers of your PSU, cpu cooler.

    PSU: QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 300W.
    CPU Cooler: Nexus KCZ-2700

    Thanks. Just to recap, I've summarised my experiences in the following
    article.

    Cheers,

    P.

    I've installed a 2600+ 266Mhz Athlon on an Asus A7A266 motherboard
    (BIOS version latest non-beta at 1012). All went well at first and
    the chip was automatically recognised with the following correct(*)
    BIOS settings:

    CPU Speed 2133MHz
    CPU Frequency Multiple 16x
    CPU/PCI Frequency Mhz 133/33

    However, the machine then hung. I rebooted up and tried
    several times. Initially I found that the machine would
    only boot if:

    * I set the CPU speed to 1600, giving me a 1600Hz machine :(
    * I set the CPU Speed to Manual and the multipler to 18x,
    giving me a 1.87GHZ machine (equivalent of a 2200+)

    After experimenting, I found that the machine will run at 15 x 133
    (the equivalent of a 2400+). Strangely, though it won't boot at
    16x, it _will_ at 16.5, although the machine only gets as far as
    just past the XP login screen (just get to see my desktop for a few
    moments before it restarts.

    If I boot in again, I get to see a "System has recovered from a
    serious error" messages, which takes me to a Microsoft page saying
    that a device driver caused the problem. At this point, the
    system restarts again....

    Where to now to get it to 2133Mhz? There seem to be a number of
    possibilities:

    * Could overheating be a problem? The 2600+ is at 52 degrees C idle.
    My current
    cooler is a Nexus KCZ-2700. Is it worth buying a new cooler for it?
    Any
    recommedations if so?

    * Although the current BIOS I have is the latest release version, and
    supposedly is compatible with the 2600+, would it be worth updating
    to the beta version 1013? This beta version has been out for 15
    months;
    I'm not sure does this indicated that it is safe or that there are
    still
    concerns about it.

    * Power supply issue? My current is a QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU
    300W.
    Peripherals in my machine include a Radeon 9800 Pro 128K, a DVD
    burner,
    CD-RW drive, and Audigy soundcard.

    * Vcore voltage issue? It's currently 1.650V; should this be raised?

    Thanks,

    P.

    I see I can raise the CPU/PCI
    Frequency up as far as 166/42; should I change this at all? M

    In these modes, it works fine. Checking the temperature of the CPU
    using Asus Probe, it's at either 52c or 54c, which is 5-10c cooler
    than what my old 1800+ was running at (I did use Arctic Silver as the
    thermal paste this time). This makes me suspect that overheating isn't
    the
    problem.

    Any checklist of ideas that I should try now, or things that I should
    double-check? Should I try the new beta version of the BIOS - if so,
    does anyone know where I can download it? Could overheating actually
    be a problem? Do I need to play around with jumpers? Any help
    appreciated.

    Thanks,

    P.

    (*) http://139.95.253.214/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=58,E=0000000000173168994,K=9326,Sxi=13,Case=obj(1224)):
  6. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 06:34:19 -0700, Paul Moloney wrote:

    > PSU: QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU 300W.

    That should be Ok.

    > CPU Cooler: Nexus KCZ-2700

    This may be acceptable, but not very good. A quick fix would be to replace
    the 60x15mm fan with a 60x25mm model with more airflow. Personally, i'd
    just get a cheap cooler like the TR2-M1 with a quiet 80mm fan with almost
    twice the airflow and copper base (not nickel plated_

    > Thanks. Just to recap, I've summarised my experiences in the following
    > article.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > P.
    >
    > I've installed a 2600+ 266Mhz Athlon on an Asus A7A266 motherboard
    > (BIOS version latest non-beta at 1012). All went well at first and the
    > chip was automatically recognised with the following correct(*) BIOS
    > settings:
    >
    > CPU Speed 2133MHz CPU Frequency Multiple
    > 16x CPU/PCI Frequency Mhz 133/33
    >
    > However, the machine then hung. I rebooted up and tried several times.
    > Initially I found that the machine would only boot if:
    >
    > * I set the CPU speed to 1600, giving me a 1600Hz machine :( * I set
    > the CPU Speed to Manual and the multipler to 18x,
    > giving me a 1.87GHZ machine (equivalent of a 2200+)
    >
    > After experimenting, I found that the machine will run at 15 x 133 (the
    > equivalent of a 2400+). Strangely, though it won't boot at 16x, it
    > _will_ at 16.5, although the machine only gets as far as just past the
    > XP login screen (just get to see my desktop for a few moments before it
    > restarts.

    Restarting like this is many times power problems. Either CPU, MB (bad
    caps), or weak PSU.

    > If I boot in again, I get to see a "System has recovered from a serious
    > error" messages, which takes me to a Microsoft page saying that a
    > device driver caused the problem. At this point, the system restarts
    > again....

    Try booting with a memtest cd and running memtest, to take the OS out of
    the picture.

    > Where to now to get it to 2133Mhz? There seem to be a number of
    > possibilities:
    >
    > * Could overheating be a problem? The 2600+ is at 52 degrees C idle. My
    > current cooler is a Nexus KCZ-2700. Is it worth buying a new cooler for it?

    52C for idlw is high.

    > Any recommedations if so?

    TR2-M1, good, cheap, and quiet.

    > * Although the current BIOS I have is the latest release version, and
    > supposedly is compatible with the 2600+, would it be worth updating to
    > the beta version 1013? This beta version has been out for 15
    > months;
    > I'm not sure does this indicated that it is safe or that there are
    > still
    > concerns about it.

    Unless you know of a problem with your current bios, it shouldn't matter.

    > * Power supply issue? My current is a QTechnology Ultra-Quiet ATX PSU
    > 300W.

    As I said, it should be enough unless it's weak. If you replace it, get a
    cheap 550W.

    > Peripherals in my machine include a Radeon 9800 Pro 128K, a DVD
    > burner, CD-RW drive, and Audigy soundcard.

    Ahhh,, Isn't that Radeon 9800 Pro pretty much power hungry? That could be
    draining your 300w PSU.

    > * Vcore voltage issue? It's currently 1.650V; should this be raised?

    1.65v is the default. Wouldn't hurt to try a little higher though.
    Shouldn't need more than 1.75v, but with the cooler you have and your
    current temps, even that small increase may be too much for your current
    cooler.

    > I see I can raise the CPU/PCI
    > Frequency up as far as 166/42; should I change this at all? M

    No. LKeave this at 133/33. There's not many PCI devices that will operate
    at 42Mhz, and that would also put the AGP bus at 84MHz vs. normal 66Mhz.

    > In these modes, it works fine. Checking the temperature of the CPU using
    > Asus Probe, it's at either 52c or 54c, which is 5-10c cooler than what
    > my old 1800+ was running at (I did use Arctic Silver as the thermal
    > paste this time). This makes me suspect that overheating isn't the
    > problem.

    Like I said, mine idles in the mid 30's.

    > Any checklist of ideas that I should try now, or things that I should
    > double-check? Should I try the new beta version of the BIOS - if so,
    > does anyone know where I can download it? Could overheating actually
    > be a problem? Do I need to play around with jumpers? Any help
    > appreciated.

    I think i've covered about all that could be cusing the problem. Just keep
    standard FSB/PCI settings and only work with the multiplier so that you
    know it's not a bus problem.

  7. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus (More info?)

    Wes Newell <w.newell@TAKEOUTverizon.net> wrote in message

    [snip]

    Hi Wes,

    You've been a big help, much appreciated. I'll try
    getting a loan of a 400W or up power supply and see
    if that helps, and also add a new CPU fan.

    Cheers,

    P.

Asus CPUs Motherboards